Okuma Makaira

Discussion in 'Reel Repair' started by sammythetuna, Mar 25, 2020.

1. sammythetuna

sammythetuna Member

Hi everyone.

I want to give servicing my own reels a shot. I was turned onto the OKUMA Makaira series by a fellow fisherman and love them. Unfortunately our local reel repair guy closed up shop and shipping them out to CA for my Makaira 130s and 80s is a bit unrealistic from a $$ perspective (They are pretty expensive to ship both ways across country).

SO, I'd like to learn how to do yearly maintenance to these reels. Was hoping someone could post a "how to" video or pictures that I could go by? I am happy to post pictures as I go, but I am a bit intimidated by taking this thing apart without some guidance.
    - OKUMA 130
    - OKUMA 130 SEA
    - OKUMA 80 SEA

I have seen some "rebuild" threads on here, but was hoping for something that just covers what I should be doing every year...

2. ReelMe

ReelMe Super Member

Alan Tani has videos and/or tutorials in the Makairas and he is very good at helping and answering questions. Use google to find his posts on different forums. You will get all the info you need.

bnz likes this.

3. sammythetuna

sammythetuna Member

thank you for the response. Actually, Mr. Tani's review of the reels was part of the reason I opted for them.

I saw Alan post a full rebuild of the reels, however, that is WAY more than I had hoped to accomplish...I will do a search but was hoping there was a more "101" level I could look at.

4. bnz

bnz Just a guy who likes to fish

ReelMe is correct. alantani.com is the only place you need on this one.

Every year, relube your spool bearings with TSI 321. Repack your sideplate bearings with grease. And re-grease your drag washers with Cal's or whatever drag grease you like. Re-grease your gears. I also put Corrosion-X HD on my AR bearings. It's a s simple as clean and re-grease, re-lube. :D

semipro and ReelMe like this.
  5. benwah22

benwah22 Well-Known Member

I met Alan this year out at Fred Hall. A wealth of knowledge on the technical side of fishing, in both rods and reels. Definitely utilize his site if you can. The Makaira is one of his favorite reels so that should carry some weight to it.

ReelMe likes this.
  6. sammythetuna

sammythetuna Member

thanks guys. I would love just a quick video tutorial or pics of exactly what I should be doing. I know it sounds stupid but I am a complete novice at taking these things apart and back together again! I am going to check out Alans site and post there and see where it gets me!

7. bnz

bnz Just a guy who likes to fish

Sammy, the first time is always the hardest. Those guys on Alan’s site have always been a big help to me.

8. sammythetuna

sammythetuna Member

thanks bnz I am definitely going to try it. I am a big DIY guy, rebuilding a 35 duffy right now all self taught glasswork etc.... Reels are just a new animal but there is a reel scarcity of info online outside of Alan's site.

I registered just waiting on admin approval.