Okuma Cedros Jigging Rods

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by VaRandy, Jul 7, 2008.

1. VaRandy

VaRandy Site Sponsor

I just looked at the Cedros Jigging rods and at first look, they looked like they should be major players with Torques, Saltigas, Trevelas, expecially for the money (about $100 retail). They had a high end aluminum reel seat, seperate hand holds with exposed rod between and high end guides, and excellent wraps.

The only noticeable drawback was the lack of interface to a rod belt. I would be interested in someone that had one telling me the straight lift capabilites (such as was done by someone with a Saltiga recently).

Any thoughts, experiences on this rod?

2. Capt Richie

Capt Richie Site Sponsor

Randy have you looked at the new accurate rods..I got my first look last week for the money they look good..

3. alantani

alantani Senior Member

don hooked into a nice fish using an okuma cedros rod and an okuma catalina 25. the catalina had a few minor modifications and i basically brought it along to see if i could make it explode. it actually held up well over the week.

this is what the rod looked like with a 15# drag setting on the reel and 20# yellowtail on the hook.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

alan - how much more popular are okumas on the west coast? i have not seen many fished either in texas or in the northeast.

5. VaRandy

VaRandy Site Sponsor

I have not had the opportunity to look at one, but will keep my eyes out for one. Thanx

6. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

GOD I miss yellowtail!
    someday I'll get back

7. jureal

jureal Senior Member

Okuma is not highly viewed on the West coast as their first attempts at offering tackle was a bust. They still carry that stigma.

8. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I lost 5 poppers on the recent Big E trip. Those five poppers cost me about $200, but I don't regret it. Don't try to save some money on rods and reels if you want to catch some quality fish. When you buy quality rods and reels, it eventually saves your money.

9. alantani

alantani Senior Member

i had don set up with blackwater hollowcore, 30# blackwater fluoro and a 1/0 ringed owner flyliner hook. the rod was stock. the reel had been torn down, greased, had a drag upgrade and a new kolekar handle grip. don had never done this type of fishing before. on the second day, he might have been high stick with 6 fish. he was a very happy man!

10. VaRandy

VaRandy Site Sponsor

Not sure where I can get my hands on an Accurate rod.

As a followup, I bought the Cedros 65-150 lbs (haw) model and went Tile fishing. I was fishing for YFT earlier, but none noticed!!

The rod picks up 15 lb dead weight but I am unwilling to try more. It is a very nice handling rod but does not have the gimble we require. If they built a heavier version and added a gimble, I would buy another.

Are there any store available conventionals (jigging) that would lift #25 deadweight?

11. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

VA Randy, oti 600g will do it and have room to breathe!

12. pounder21366

pounder21366 Member

Alan, what model number was the rod in the photos? What do you think of the rod? Have you seen the okuma cavalla's yet? Thanks, Chuck.

13. Albiemanmike

Albiemanmike Senior Member

I have the spinner and conventional of this rod and have taken BFT up to 130 lbs. 60" on them and they worked fine would have been much easier with a belt/harness setup IMHO. I just ordered a nice clamp to put on the spinner that will allow attaching a harness to.