OK lets hear it! Whats the best jigging reel?

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by stresst, Aug 22, 2008.

1. stresst

stresst Senior Member

What do you guys think is the best conventional jigging reel out there today? Most fish are under 120lbs an occasional 200lber and thats rare. I am new to jigging and only want to buy a reel once! Lets hear it, Thanks

2. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

Ocea Jigger 5000P, Trinidad 40, or Saltiga 50 all upgraded with carbontex, and the shimanos with cals drag plate, and the saltiga with new bearings

3. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

oceanmark blue heaven if you can find one......rick

4. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Alutecnos Gorilla 12

5. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Torsa with a 50# rapid fire drag system.

6. Bret

Bret Senior Member

I still like the kaikon 4000 and the accurate 665

7. thunnus

thunnus Guest

Ocea Jigger 4000P & Accurare 665

8. rtran

rtran Senior Member

I liked the 665 when TJ let me borrow it. Now have saltiga 40.

9. stresst

stresst Senior Member

I must ask, why are you guys not going with 2 speeds? I like the alutecnos and saltiga myself, they are built like a tank. I do (plan to do) alot of jigging for cod also. These reels are for also, or do I want/need a 2 speed? Would like to buy 1 reel for both, load it with 65lb braid and be done!

10. BAOSABI

BAOSABI Senior Member

I will use my B2-665 until it implodes. Just sent it in to Accurate for internal upgrades.

11. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

2 speeds are unnessary, and the popular current choice the accurate 665two speed still has bugs. I expect a reel that i paid 600 dollar for to be fine when i buy it. I dont need to spend 600 and then send it back to accurate cause the clicker is not working and drag lever is overly stiff.

lever drag is also a PITA when your constantly jigging and casting out up an down. Id rather flip a switch than have to go back and forth with the lever and worry that my drag is in the right place

12. stresst

stresst Senior Member

I have a few small accurates, but I keep hearing horror stories about the 665's failing. They are great people but like you said shouldn't have to send back a 600 dollar reel for 2 seasons , nevermind first time out. I am leaning toward a saltiga ,but a friend of mine had the anti reverse fail on 2- 50's. So many reels ,so may problems I really dont know what to buy!

13. BAOSABI

BAOSABI Senior Member

I don't think anyone makes a flawless reel. You just have to find one that you're comfortable with and hope for the best. Even Stellas have their share of problems.

14. xs_tackle

xs_tackle Senior Member

2 speeds are unnessary, . . .

Unless, of course, you're preparing to tangle with larger, feistier fish. Somewhere between 50-100 lbs things change; and, they certainly change if I'm dealing with YFT. Then, I find the 2-spd much better and prefer its lever drag mechanism, too.

. . . and the popular current choice the accurate 665two speed still has bugs. I expect a reel that i paid 600 dollar for to be fine when i buy it. I dont need to spend 600 and then send it back to accurate cause the clicker is not working and drag lever is overly stiff.

Right on that; it should work well out of the box. But, I think the underlying design, execution and support make the reel worth the additional attention--even though it should not be necessary. Last I heard, Accurate suffered from a bad batch of gears on the B2-665's.

. . . lever drag is also a PITA when your constantly jigging and casting out up an down. Id rather flip a switch than have to go back and forth with the lever and worry that my drag is in the right place

My experience is that it's star drag reels that leave me wondering how much drag I'm using. I find it easy to return a lever close to the same place every time.

15. BAOSABI

BAOSABI Senior Member

I completely agree XS.

16. SSFIREMSN

SSFIREMSN Senior Member

If you have only about $200 to spend on a jigging reel. What would you suggest. Thanks Steve

17. gman

gman Senior Member

I would save more money or shop ebay for a good used reel. You have options for spinners such as Cabo's, Boca's, Do I dare say Fin-Nors and maybe the Okuma

18. turfman

turfman Member

If you have only about $200 to spend on a jigging reel. What would you suggest. Thanks Steve

Saltist 50.

19. stresst

stresst Senior Member

Dont know the model but there made by Fin nor and there black. They come in a hi speed and a low 4.?/1 They are about 2,250 best reel for the money.

20. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

I would go with the Saltiga 50 for two reasons:

(1) Read my previous posts about experiences with 665. :)

(2) Because Kil likes it.

Russ