Ok I need help,im about to drop the hammer

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by stresst, Sep 5, 2009.

1. stresst

stresst Senior Member

Ive been undecided since the winter time but I need to pick up a 30 and 50 two speed. I need a 30 for chunking and a 50 for tuna/trolling and the occasional shark trip. But I really have no idea as to what I really need or want.

IMO I feel the internationals are not what the used to be plus a tad heavy but what do I know, LOL

Im thinking about the tiagraa and avets but leaning toward the avets. The accurate b2-50 may cut it as a 30 because of capacity but im trying to keep them as a matching pair/manufacturer and the ATD is out of my range.

Any suggestions? I fish party boats occasionaly so a long mono topshot is required. So if I was to go with a 30 and 30W and ditch the 50 could I get enough mono if I backed it with braid. What are you guys using??

2. Taz575

Taz575 Senior Member

My Avet 50W holds 600 yds of 130# JB hollow, and 150 yds of 130# Momoi Hi Catch Diamond mono, or 200 yds of 80# momoi mono topshot. My avet 30W hold 600 yds of 100# JB hollow, with a 100 yd topshot of 80# momoi with a good amount of room left over. The 30W is topless and much lighter than the 50W, and still holds 700 total yds of line! I use these for trolling in the Canyons south of Long Island, occasionally a fish will take all of the top shot, but that is usually because we let them run and try to get multiple hookups and clear the other lines first. The 30W will do 35# strike, 40# full drag, so that has plenty of drag for most fishing! The 50SDS may also be a good choice as well, or the regular 50. The 50W is pretty huge. I'll try to get pics of them side by side.

Some people also are using the Quantum Aruba's, which will do 40# at strike. One of my friends has it and likes it so far. Up in Cape Cod, some of the charter guys are using the Daiwa SLT trolling reels on the large BFT up there, too.

3. Capt Richie

Capt Richie Site Sponsor

The Avet 30W will do it all ..No need for a 50W for shark...Intill you have you own boat I would not buy a trolling set up..

A pvt charter boat will troll 6-15 lines ..He sets up his spread for his boat & lures..To bring one rod two or three time a year is not worth the cost....

Spend you money on a great jigging and rod & reel.......

4. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

Avet SDS is a great choice.

If you can spring the money, the one bulletproof offshore reel I love is the Alutecnos.

5. stresst

stresst Senior Member

Wow I didnt think the 30w held that much line???? For that matter I could probably get away with a 30N for my chunking settup and save a bit more weight. Anyone know the actual weight differance between the 30 and 30W? I see 2oz posted but dont think that's accurate.

6. stresst

stresst Senior Member

Avet SDS is a great choice.

If you can spring the money, the one bulletproof offshore reel I love is the Alutecnos.

I really like them as well but there about 1 1/2lbs heavier than the avets

7. calebw

calebw Member

Shimano Tiagra 30WLRS, spool it with some 80lb jerry brown with a 50yrd top shot and you are good to go. You can go to any tackle shop along the east coast and get it serviced or worked on. But since its a shimano chances are it will never break.

8. luna sea II

luna sea II Banned

Shimano Tiagra 30WLRS, spool it with some 80lb jerry brown with a 50yrd top shot and you are good to go. You can go to any tackle shop along the east coast and get it serviced or worked on. But since its a shimano chances are it will never break.
    x2

9. Taz575

Taz575 Senior Member

Go with the 100# hollow core from Jerry; it's actually a smaller diameter than the 80# hollow core due to the pick count! I still have almost 1/4" of my spool showing in terms of height on my 30W set up that way, I could probably get another 50 yds or so of the 80 momoi on it.

The Avet 30W I got is topless, too, so that may be a consideration if you do or do not like that. It also has a newer handle on it, a rubber one vs the aluminum on my older 50W. Very nice, I liked the handle better then the Tiagra 30WLRSA I played with. I've caught 3 yellowfin on it this year without a problem!

10. tass

tass Member

Get you a 30w avet and save your money on the 50. I have both and I have used the 30 for everything. The 50 is nice if u just have to have one, but imo the 30 is all u will ever need.

11. jig

jig Senior Member

The main reason I don't like wide reels is the wobble. I retired a Tiagra 50W as it was just too big to manage. I finally 'settled' for a Avet 30/2 (not the wide) under the theory I could always move up if it did not meet my needs. My primary issue was I wanted as light a reel as possible. I have about 500yds of 100# braid and about 100-150yds 80# mono on top. It is way more than I need, and I could not be happier that I 'settled' for this reel. I am going to respool with 130# braid and a shorter, heavier mono topshot when I need to change the line out. This reel is light, very strong, great drag, has more than sufficient line capacity and was priced right. I got it used with spectra line for around $325.