Oil Rig Removal News

Discussion in 'Announcement & News' started by Capt. Al, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Capt. Al

Capt. Al Site Sponsor

Please forward this to the LCUDC e-mails
    especially to the CCA people.
    thanks
    tgm

Council Members and friends,
    I contacted Tom of DEMA awhile back and he
    requested that I send him information on the
    removal of decommission platforms.
    From the letter and memo, you will find we have a
    new powerful ally in this battle.

In the very near future, we have 2 very important
    matters coming up for public input.
    The Gulf Coast Council will be taking public input
    on the matter of declaring artificial reefs which
    would include decommission platforms as
    Essential Fish Habitats (EFH).
    NOAA will be taking public input on placing 7 to 9
    Caribbean coral species on the endanger list.
    Some of these corals are found on the platforms.

I will be sending the links out soon and it is very
    important for you to comment on this 2 connected
    issues. If and when these corals are found to be
    endanger and then
    are found on a platform, what justification is there
    for removal the platform?

See below a very good article on the platforms

http://www.offshore-
    technology.com/features/featuredisused-oil-rigs-
    living-reefs-pictures/

It is requested you forwarded this information to
    your individual mailing list.

Thanks,
    Terry Migaud
    LCUDC Sec/tre

Towers Of Life - The Ecosystems of Offshore Oil and Gas Platforms in the Gulf of Mexico - YouTube

Osage, Elussyreuro and Ninaeliff like this.
  2. buddyclaude

buddyclaude Senior Member

Thanks Al for your efforts and dedication to the cause.

3. tunatexas

tunatexas Senior Member

Thanks to everyone, working to save these Rigs!
    watching rigs being blown apart killing tons of snapper, grouper, ajs is JUST SICK!
    Hope we can wake up....

4. matadordeatunes

matadordeatunes Banned

Tunatexas you're very right , its SICK to see all those great environmental habitats for all the fish species that we have in the GOM been blow it away . However like everything in this greedy world that we all live in , is all about the big $.
    I read somewhere that all this oil platforms are just leased from the Feds to Oil companies all over the world like BP . While oil rig is lease to whatever company won the bid they are responsible for the maintenance of the rig .
    after all leases are run off & the structure is no longer safe , the blowing & hauling process begins. So Our Fed Gomvt hires a Oil rigs demolition Co to do the job , so more $ exchanging hands.
    Do you think the Feds care about all the damage caused , do you think BP or any other Oil co cares what will happen , do you think the actual Demo Co cares what happens ? HECK NO ...They all what one thing $$$$$$ do they respect the OCEANS heck NO.
    Actually , I don't blame the Oil Co or the demo Co at the end of the day they are working for their bucks. Who allows the exploitation of our sea soil & tears it apart once is no longer useful ? you guys know that .
    If at least they would blow it from 100 ft up it might not cause so much damage to the environment , I don't want to get into politics as I hate them , but We all together are allowing to destroy & ban our fishing resources & again its all about GREEDINESS.

BTW please if my facts are incorrect about oil rigs & all that stuff , PLEASE correct me if Im wrong I just read it . Oh I'm not an enviro , I'm just PASSIONATE about fishing & the beauty of all The Oceans in the world
    Like Tuna said , Thanks to all of those that are trying to prevent this "Massacre "

5. Capt. Al

Capt. Al Site Sponsor

Good Afternoon

Forgot to post this back in July. Been working with
    Dr. Sammarco since 2000 and really respect his
    opinion as well as his work.

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?
    id=50150629n

6. zlinkwp9sd

zlinkwp9sd Banned

The cheap pricing and the effectiveness in creating successful marketing campaigns is obviously one of the main reasons. You will be well aware of the fact that today world is greatly concerned about the environment and the society will love to have anything that is kinder to the environment. Statistics indicate that the success rate in brand promotion through green items such as the eco friendly pens and tote bags is almost double the success rate obtained by the conventional promotional items.
    Looking for a beautiful summer tan without the damaging effects of the sun or the orange coloration that comes from many home bronzers? Look no further then to your cupboard for the answer to this dilemma. Simply prepare two cups of a strong black tea, allow the tea to set for at least one hour, once the tea is cooled pour it into a plastic spray bottle. Remember before you start to mist make sure your skin is clean and dry so that the tea can be properly absorbed.
    Hard cover certainly offers more protection and if that your biggest concern, it probably the way to go. As you can see in my pictures, I have a soft cover bag. It has slightly more padding near the top where the head of the clubs go but does not offer the protection a hard case.How to fly without all the baggage.
    The Daily News welcomes your opinions and comments. We do not allow personal attacks, offensive language or unsubstantiated allegations. We reserve the right to edit comments for length, style, legality and taste and reproduce them in print, electronic or otherwise. I not quite snarky enough to tattle on those businesses who don see generosity as part of their work ethic. The law of threefold return will bite them in the derriere Sac Longchamp Pliage eventually. If I like their products or services enough I might continue to use them, or sell them, but I won go the extra mile to help publicize them.
    Lace Longchamp Pas Cher the plastic bag shapes with lengths of white string and tie through the holes punched in the paper plate. Help children tie knots if it is too challenging for them. Continue tying shapes onto the paper plate until the plate is covered. The problem led a group connected to the hospital to develop what started out as a small donation program. That program has turned into Newborns in Need, which gives bags full of diapers, new clothes, toiletries and books to 4,000 newborns every year. The program also gives other necessary items such as new car seats and strollers..
    For a good summer camping sleeping bag, choosing one that is breathable but provides protection and coverage at night is a must. Sleeping bags should provide cushioning as often the bag is the only base for a camper to sleep on. Finding one with extra padding on the back rather than the front is a good option for warmer temperatures.
    Find out if your trash company charges by usage. I pay an upfront fee for a roll of large trash bags, then use them as slowly or quickly as needed. In some cities, such programs are required. Thermos bottle cooking is one of the most cost effective and efficient ways to cook, and a wide variety of foods, from pasta to desserts, can be made this way. Not only will coffee or soup Sac Longchamp Prix stay piping hot Sacoche Longchamp all day when put into a Thermos bottle, that same captured heat is the main principle involved during cooking. The design of the Thermos bottle makes all the difference in the world, and when attempting to cook in one, it must be of the vacuum bottle type or cooking results will not be satisfactory..
    Christian Louboutin Femme One of the beautiful details of this particular leather bag by Bing Bang is the contrast trim. The brown Doctor Bag is available with black contrasting trim, and the black Doctor Bag by Bing Bang is available with brown contrasting trim. Retailing for $660.00 you will find the bag available wherever Rene Huber Bing Bang handbags are sold.
    http://sovet-stran.ru/user/indjsvir8/
    http://razgovor.tomsk.ru/index.php?subaction=userinfo&user=pncloxhh5
    http://topec.ru/user/tqfhsvwd5/
    http://www.fx-daytrader.com/member.php?u=475353
    http://taekwondo-kh.com/user/haflsvsp9/

7. JMDOUG

JMDOUG Senior Member

8. Reel Stamas

Reel Stamas Senior Member

I reported 'em

9. day0ne

day0ne Senior Member

Not exactly correct. The Fed leases the ocean bottom to the oil companies. The rigs are built by the companies that win the lease, and they are responsible for maintenance. Once the rig is no longer producing or has reached its life expectancy, the Fed requires the rig to be removed within a certain period of time. The oil company is responsible for the removal. The Fed doesn't build or own rigs or hire demo companies to remove them. They just lease the ocean bottom to oil companies and require the removal of any non working platform.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    Kim likes this.
  10. Hammster

Hammster Member

Spot on dayOne, I work for an offshore oil company. Not only do we have to plug the wells and remove the platforms...we have to remove everything 10 feet BELOW the mud line, and then drag the bottom with gorilla nets to remove every shred of debris after the removal. The sea floor is returned to the same barren wasteland that it once was. Very sad to remove the habitat. Trust me, the oil companies don't want to remove anything - it's more costly than leaving it in place, and it's eliminating valuable habitat. It's a stipulation in the lease, and BOEM/BSEE have all the power. If Hungry Jack responds, I won't respond back because I have him blocked.