Offshore Venice

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by captain william wall, Mar 11, 2009.

1. captain william wall

captain william wall Site Sponsor

What's up! Just getting back from Venice this afternoon and enjoying a stout cocktail and reflecting on the fishing that I have been a part of in the last week. I was able to pull off six out of the last eight days and I am trying to recall the overall species of fish that were caught and it is truly crazy! Last Tuesday I had the Andy Yarborough crew in for a little tuna fishing. I started the day pulling for wahoo and they were not showing me any love. Around the noon mark we set up for the ole' drift and chunk in blue/green water and soon after our slick looked like an aquarium. Hammerheads, bonita's, kings, etc.... After losing enough hooks to supply a small community on the nile river for a month, I made one more move and instantly I had yellowfin in the slick. We made hay and ended up putting three yellow in the 70-90lb class in the boat along with a few jumbo blackfin before calling it a day. On Wednesday I had Master Chief Hatcher on board along with his crew of Senior Chiefs and two retired members from the good ole' U.S. Navy. I had invited a camera man onboard to do a little filming for Sportman's Paradise TV show and all I can say is, it was a blast! We started out the day wahoo fishing and we put a nice wahoo in the boat after barely putting the boat in gear. Soon after that we put another one in the boat and started fishing butterfly jigs for the cobia and scamp grouper. After weeding through a ton of beautiful red snapper(which were released) and several big gag grouper, which also had to be released due to a closed season. We found the scamps and cobia as well. We picked up two cobia and about a dozen scamps loosing twice that many to the rigs. After that I made the move again to the tuna grounds and the radio was alive with chatter of big tuna being fought! We set up our drift and again we were met with the never so popular kings. We repositioned for another drift and started the process over again and picked up a small blackfin when one of the guys yells "Look at that shark!" I looked over the side and mr. mako is chomping up everything that my deckie, eric is throwing to him. I grabbed my mako rig and baited it up with a large piece of red meat and threw it toward him and he grabbed it without hesitation. I set up on him while eric threw it in gear and game on. Master Chief had him to the boat in five minutes and after a well placed shot by eric and a quick tail rope, he was ours. The guys all high fived each other and I pulled him backwards for about 45 min. in an effort to teach him the backwards breast stroke. After that, we cut his guts out and heaved his little 150lb butt in the boat only to have him come alive and take a nice piece of fiberglass out of my Contender. The wild thing about this mako was when we got back to the dock, I found his heart still in place and it was still beating. Wild and weird. The next two days found the fishing slowing down on the tuna. I made up for it with a steady supply of scamps, amberjack and wahoo to make the day go by. Yesterday was the first day I was able to wear shorts offshore and it was a nice tease to the upcoming summer. We started off again wahoo fishing with no luck at all and I started trolling small 111mr mirrorlures over the tuna grounds and was greeted with an instant hookup. When the smoke settled in, a little over three hours we boated two yellowfin, one 90lb'r and another around 50lb. Along with twelve x-tra large blackfin from 15-25lbs. Our fishing will start it's way toward a summertime pattern in the next 30-45 days. Live bait fishing on out-riggers as well as kite fishing and chunking at the floaters will be the norm. Give me a call to book your next adventure in Venice.

Captain William Wall
    Pelagic Charters
    Pelagic Charters, LLC Home

Attached Files:

2. Grescobia

Grescobia Senior Member

IF AND WHEN I CATCH MY NEXT MAKO I WANT IT TO THAT SIZE. THANKS FOR THE PICS

3. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

wow thats crazy about the makos heart. thanks for the report.

4. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

we saw a stupid big mako on monday. never would have fit on the boat.

5. gmack

gmack Senior Member

Nice haul. Those makos sure are awesome. Not to sound like a damn tree hugger, but I don't know that I could kill one. They are just too badass!

6. BFTMASTER

BFTMASTER Senior Member

Sweet Hatteras!! Love that boat!! How did it ride?

7. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

i dont think they were on that boat.

8. captain william wall

captain william wall Site Sponsor

I respect the mako for what it is. The 722lb fish that we took two weeks ago was truly a special fish. I have made a personal vow not to take one that big again. I will only take a small one if the opportunity presents itself. With that being said I will not kill a small one just because I see him.

9. gmack

gmack Senior Member

No sweat Will. Sorry if it sounded like I looked down upon you because you took that fish. That's not what I meant. It's every fishermans right to take a legal fish. Nothing wrong with bringing the big boys home as long as they are eatan (which I know you do).

Sharks have always been impressive to me. Can't explain it, but just something so amazing that I wouldn't want to kill it.

Gary