360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

Offshore Venice LA

1389 Views 6 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  gman
Ran three days this weekend. Friday just sucked. It looked like a lifeless ocean. We ran out to the east and couldnt find any live bait. That left us jigging and chunking as our only options. The shulure jigs worked well as we jigged up about 10 yellows and blacks. The were all 5-8 pound fish though so most of them we let go. We did manage to chunk up two 30 pound yellowfin before we called it a day and headed to the house.

On sat we ran out to the south with the hope of finding something. we did at least catch some live bait today Which did not help at all as the only thing that ate it was a 10 foot long dusky. He went home that night with at least four of my hooks in him. Our first fish in the boat was a 35 pound yellowfin that Joe caught on a popper.

We decided to chunk around 11 since the live bait wasnt producing. We instantly had a pod of yellowfin pop up in the slick along with our friend the 10 foot shark. I hooked him to keep him busy while we fed a couple chunks past him and doubled up on the tuna.

It was kinda funny. While I am pulling on the shark he was just swimming around and still eating chunks. He acted like he didnt even know he was attached to a 50 wide.

We made a couple more drifts and managed to land one more yellowfin and got lucky and put a wahoo in the boat on 50 pound mono.

I made a trip on a private boat With Jimmy Peek and his son Darrell on sunday out to the floaters. The guys had fished the day before by themselves and gotten skunked so I had to find some fish today. We started off around 50 miles south of the pass and the first drift with chunks Darrell put about a 45 pounder in the box. Since the fish have been so finicky I was using 40 pound leader and 5/0 hooks which proved to be a successful combo. We then proceeded to lose the next two fish to popper leaders which is the risk you take with light line.

We got another good hookset about 45 minutes later and Darrell managed a 50 pounder this time. Since they had enough meat at this point I moved over to another rig to explore and it was game on here. Darrell and Jimmy doubled up on some nicer fish. Jimmy put his in the boat in about 40 minutes while Darrell's took closer to an hour before we planted the gaff in a 100 pound class fish caught on 40 pound leader. We called it a day after that and headed to the dock around noon.

See less See more
1 - 1 of 7 Posts
Thanks for the report Capt Eddie. Things are started to heat up in the GOM. I just got off the phone with nice reports from offshore Port A from a couple of friends.

Inshore, ling have started showing up in good numbers. One guy fished inshore Sunday and today. He saw ling at 70% of the rigs he fished. Easy hookup on live menhaden that are pooled up at the end of the jetties. He just uses a cast net to catch them. He didn't catch or see a single ling under 4 feet. Also, still a good number of Jacks at the inshore rigs if you want to test your tackle. He didn't catch but two kingfish. They should arrive in numbers in a couple of weeks.

I talked to a friend that went offshore yesterday. They worked it real hard for Hoo's. They ended up with 6 for the day. They also had limits of AJ's up to 50#s and three grouper. They crossed many good weed lines. Some held hoo's, others were lifeless. No billfish were raised. It's changing on a weekly basis. If I can get all the sick relatives put in proper nursing care facilities this week, I'm off to fish in a offshore tournament. Unfortunately, it's not looking good for me. I've already made up my mind about getting old. I'm not going to stay alive just to be cared for and stare at a wall like a DF.
See less See more
1 - 1 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.