Offshore Venice La

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by CaptEddie, Oct 18, 2008.

1. CaptEddie

CaptEddie Site Sponsor

The last two days have been memorable to say the least. Not for quantity but for quality. I had Lloyd Holland and his crew in from Auburn, Alabama on the boat both days. We started out by making some bait and then we headed south to look for some shrimpers. First two baits in the water were engulfed by mondo daddy fish who promply broke us off in the cables. The 3rd bait was the charm though as that fish headed the right direction for us to catch him. All the guys got more then their fair share on this fish as we followed it for about 4 miles. This fish never rolled over and started doing circles. When we finally got color it was still swimming on its side and when I stuck the gaff in I had both engines in gear with the fish just swimming beside the boat about an hour and 45 minutes into the fight. About 8 hours later the fish weighed 195 pounds on the scale. We stuffed him in the box and continued on with the fishing mission. We pounded the blackfin and kept 16 of them suckers and managed to put one more 70 pound yf in the boat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On day two we stuck with the plan. As soon as we got out there we put a couple blacks in the boat and then had the good hit. Fish took off away from trouble and the chase was on. Fought this one for an hour and a half as well although he finally settled down adn we had him doing circles when we stuck the gaff in. 170 pounds which wasnt bad for a starting point. Went back to teh boat to find nothing going on so we hopped around and caught some blacks. Decided to head over to another boat and as we pulled up we could see the big sickle fins rolling through the propwash. Teh first fish ate two boats and we still couldnt stop him from tangling us up. Rerigged and back at it. The next fish came straight out and the fight was on. It was kind of a wussy fish as it only took about 40 minutes to land this one. Stuck the gaff in a fat 185 pounder and after a little trouble getting him in the fish box. The guys decided they had enough meat and I wasnt sure where we would put another big one so we headed to the dock at 11 am with our two pigs at 185 and 170.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Argo

Argo Senior Member

I guess the fish are there right now...... why arent you fishing??

3. CaptEddie

CaptEddie Site Sponsor

15-20 knots winds

4. thenewkid

thenewkid Senior Member

Well Capt Eddie im happy for you and your clients. At least someone is catching yellows this year cause god knows up here the canyons are baron when it comes to yft over about 35# plenty of nice longfin, some eyeballs earlier in the season, and a decent bluefin bite this year. Good on swords and white+blue marlin but damn the yft are just somewhere else i guess now i know where some of them are. (your ice boxes)

5. rtran

rtran Senior Member

damn eddie, some fatties turning up!

6. Pope

Pope Senior Member

I love catching yft under shrimpers. While they may not always be there, they sure are fat when they are!

7. Grescobia

Grescobia Senior Member

WITH CATCHES LIKE EDDIE IS HAVING I MIGHT HAVE TO CALL IN SICK A FEW DAYS.ANYONE FIXING TO GET SICK?

8. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

im coming down with something