Offshore venice la

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by CaptEddie, Aug 13, 2008.

1. CaptEddie

CaptEddie Site Sponsor

Been having an interesting time here in venice. HAd a pair of day trips go out with Capts Hunter and Lee on fri while I was supposed to run an overnighter with John Hook. Got up around 930 to a thunderstorm so ended up cancelling my overnighter and stayed around the dock till my guys got in with some good stories. They both had 6 yf each although hunter won the big fish pot with a 153. We pushed Johns trip to saturday where he went out and caught a couple yellows and some other assorted fishies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I ran another overnighter on sat night with Harold Moses and crew. We had a heck of a good trip. Started out with a yf on a popper out long. Put our livies in the water and picked away at them and ended up with 6 yf in the box before dark. Ran a little over to the east for the night bite and got on a great blackfin bite. Most of the blacks were 18-25 pounds. We had no yf action at all then so we started piling the blacks in the fishbox. Around midnight we had 15 or so blacks in the boat plus the 6 yf. WE made the decision to take a little nap before we got back on teh bite. Around 215 we made teh move back to the rig and immediately got on a yf bite again. At 4 am we put our last yf in the box to give us a total of 11 yfs and 15 blackfin.

We put all these fish in one of my two boxes on my boat. If theres one thing about the palmetto the fishboxes are huge.

[​IMG]

2. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

Wow! Awesome report Eddie. Those BFT look BiG!

3. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

I know I've told this story before, but what the hell: When we went fishing with Eddie a little over a year ago, we got into a great yellowfin bite. Now Drifter was on that trip and one thing you need to understand about him is this: He will eat anything--if Louis runs over a coyote, we have to stop and skin that sucker and it goes on the grill. I have eaten sausage he made that had coon, possum, and miniature donkey mixed in with the pork. When fishing, he keeps sharks, stingrays, black drum with worms in them, and mullet he finds on the shore--if they haven't been dead too long.

So in the midst of our chunking the local yellow fin population into oblivion, Louis hooks what is probably the largest blackfin that old Uncle Russ has ever laid eyes on. And you could see the look on Louis's face that said: "Well, it isn't a yellowfin, but it sure will make some great filets." Then Eddie reaches over and does a quick grab of the hook and releases it. A look of complete non-comprehension comes over Louis's face and he asks Eddie: "What did you do that for?" And without missing a beat, Eddie replies: "We got enough bait."

Russ

4. tngbmt

tngbmt Senior Member

"We got enough bait."
    LoL .. me think, on our last trip, he gave me that look too

5. Tunahunter

Tunahunter Guest

nice bunch of tuna!!!

6. CaptEddie

CaptEddie Site Sponsor

I normally dont keep that many blacks but I honestly thought our yf bite was done for as we hadnt caught one in 6 hours. I hate wasting space on blacks but when you only have 6 yf in the box you do what you gotta do. Of course then teh yf turned on again :)

7. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Eddie: That was a great haul.

We Texans are always flipping $hit at you Cajuns about eating wierd stuff (and Lord, knows, ya'll do :) ) But it really is funny when you fish waters so productive that you can turn down Blackfin Tuna. When I was a kid, my great grandmother would pressure cook Black Drum as big as a Volkswagon. A juicy Blackfin would have been beyond belief.

Those pictures have got me thinking about my first lump trip this winter.

Russ

8. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

I want to get a bunch of blackfin to can some up.

9. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

Eddie please post pics of the waterspouts... thanks

10. CaptEddie

CaptEddie Site Sponsor

I will post them up when I get another report going. I have been fishing every day since yall were here and still getting rained on every day.

11. Angler Systems

Angler Systems Senior Member

12. Grescobia

Grescobia Senior Member

Russ/STX does this mean we are going to organize a trip this winter?

13. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

Russ/STX does this mean we are going to organize a trip this winter?

That's a possibility....