Offshore Venice LA

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by CaptEddie, Jan 15, 2008.

1. CaptEddie

CaptEddie Site Sponsor

Fished three days over the weekend with mixed results. The fish are obviously starting to move onto the lump just not in huge quantities yet. On fri I had Ed and his whole crew were from the west coast. We got a late start due to some nasty weather and we headed out to the west for some wahoo. We lost one there before we headed over to the lump. We snagged one wahoo on a pink stretch 30 on the lump before we decided to anchor and chum. The sharks ate us alive most of the time we were there but we did manage to sneak one bait out and get my first lump yf of the year,a nice fat 60 pounder. The bite slowed after that so we headed north adn stopped at a rig and picked up two more wahoo before we called it a day and hit the dock around dark.

I had high hopes for day two but it just wasnt meant to be on my boat. We chunked the lump and got one african pompano, one aj, and one beeliner. We got off the lump and proceeded to go 0-3 on wahoo all bites were in nasty green water.

On day three I had Brian and his crew from texas and the plan was to find some tuna and some wahoo. We lost a wahoo early in the day and then hit the lump to find a little aj and tuna action. First fish in the boat was a big aj and then a nice yf before it slowed for a couple hours. We later had another flurry where we put 2 more ajs in the boat and a nice 100 pound yf. The seas were building so we picked up anchor and made a pass by a rig and put a 50 pound wahoo in the boat before we called it a day and headed back to the pass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

Big thanks to Eddie for helping bring our trip together. I have learned
    that January @ the lump is not for the timid!:D
    the seas were sporty to marginal by 9am & got worse as the day went on,
    but we toughed it out and put fish in the boxes
    Kudos to Bret for the Trifecta (tuna, AJ, Wahoo)!
    Really thought the ride in was gonna be rough, but at speed, that boat has
    an amazingly dry ride!
    Here's a few pics:

Attached Files:

3. lite-liner

a few more....

Attached Files:

4. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

that picture of the trevala is hilarious!!!! i took some fish to work(Emerils) and they prepared it for us. it was awesome.

5. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

Thanks to Cpt Eddie - I had a great time and look forward to fishing with him in the future. Thanks to Brian for giving me the heads up - I had fun fishing with both of you guys! We didn't end up with a huge final tally, but whether it was bonito or smaller AJs, we were always getting fish of some sort.

I felt the need to attach my AJ pic :)

View attachment 2510

Attached Files:

6. tngbmt

tngbmt Senior Member

tuna aj & hoo ..
    nice fishing bret.

7. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

tuna aj & hoo ..
    nice fishing bret.

thanks - that was my first AJ too since I'm new to Texas, strong fish

8. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Hey, great reports.. glad yall got out there and did some good.. Those are some fat hoo and aj's...

9. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

yeah it was a lot of fun. i want to make at least one more trip to venice this year

10. rtran

rtran Senior Member

yeah our boat had alot of fun too, awesome power on these fish. we only ended up with 2 yft and 1 bft. but we did manage to hook up with 3 sharks first time out and that whipped our butt pretty good. 2 other yft that we did manage to hook up with got ate off by sharks

11. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Glad to got to catch an AJ. Those are arm killers. That's a very nice one you caught. I would guess it's in the 65-70 pound class. The worst thing is to bring up about 8 or ten undersized ones. Cranking them up in 400 or 500 feet of water and releasing them is a good heart exercise.

12. lite-liner

Hey Rich, Where's your pics?
    -B

13. rtran

rtran Senior Member

my buddy still has them on his camera. we havent had time to load them up

14. Ragman

Ragman Moderator

Great report and pics! I've got to do my first Lump trip soon!

Excellent first AJ Bret!!!

I love ripping a long skinny jig up through the water and feeling the sudden stop, then the tug o' war that happens!

They are fun.

15. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

Glad to got to catch an AJ. Those are arm killers. That's a very nice one you caught. I would guess it's in the 65-70 pound class. The worst thing is to bring up about 8 or ten undersized ones. Cranking them up in 400 or 500 feet of water and releasing them is a good heart exercise.
    yeah it looks very big in the picture with me holding it (whereas the tuna looks smaller)....which is funny bc I'm about 270lbs or so....but you can tell the size difference when you see the shot at the end with all of us.

It was fun to catch. even the little ones are a good time. I think they're great eating too, so I'm excited about grilling a few steaks up......but nothing beats eating the wahoo, those are fantastic

16. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

yeah it looks very big in the picture with me holding it (whereas the tuna looks smaller)....which is funny bc I'm about 270lbs or so....but you can tell the size difference when you see the shot at the end with all of us.

It was fun to catch. even the little ones are a good time. I think they're great eating too, so I'm excited about grilling a few steaks up......but nothing beats eating the wahoo, those are fantastic
    Try some blackened AJ steaks! They are awesome.

17. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

yeah i've had it once in a restaurant and it was awesome. I'm going to try some sashimi as well.

18. Bazztex

Bazztex Senior Member

Thanks Yall...

Great pix and report.. Nice size on the fish you did get.

looks like our Tuna 6 trip is going to get bumped in to the first weekend of February.. It's a bit above Sporty at 10ft plus seas.. been there done that a few to many times.. got the Cinco shirt/hat. :D

Bazz

19. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

the pictures of the manta didnt come out. that blows. that picture of brets aj doesnt do it justice. it was a monster!!!! unlike my tilefish.

20. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

the pictures of the manta didnt come out. that blows. that picture of brets aj doesnt do it justice. it was a monster!!!! unlike my tilefish.
    that tilefish was badass, i don't know what you're talking about!:p

21. lite-liner

That AJ was a friggin' slob, one of the biggest I ve ever seen!
    How'd that tilefish cook up, anyway?LoL:D
    Bummer about the Manta ray pics, that was awesome watching him cruise around. I'd never seen one up close before
    -B