Offshore Venice La

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by CaptEddie, Jul 10, 2007.

1. CaptEddie

CaptEddie Site Sponsor

Ran a few trips this week on the contender and glacier bay. IT started with three straight days and ended with an overnighter. I had Clay Lawrence and family on the contender on thursday with a request for tuna which was what they received. We caught some good live bait and made good use of it with 80 pound frenzy flourocarbon and frenzy hooks. The fish are being stupid right now as long as you have the right bait. Everyone on the boat got in on the action adn Clays father was the smart one. He sat back and watched and then got to eat some tuna that night without having to fight one. We ended up with 6 yellowfin to about 85 pounds and three dolphin.
    [​IMG]

On day two I had Pete and his wife down on vacation from Tennessee. They had an easy request to catch a couple yellowfins and have fun. We headed back out and while bait was a little hard to catch the fish certainly weren't We hit two fish on live baits before we ran out and had to switch over to some chum. First drift we put two more yellows and a dolphin in the boat to end the day off with 4 nice yellows to 85 pounds and one dolphin that I got to reel in while Pete and his wife were fighting yf. After pete caught his fill and his wife Dawn was done for as well we headed to the house early with a box of tuna.
    [​IMG]

On day Three I had Raul and his father in law and a guy named peanut. They had the same desire for a box of yellowfin so we headed out and caught some live bait. I struggled again to get livies although everyone we had resulted in a bite I only had a few. I had a leftover blackfin though so we resorted to chunking with frenzy flouro and 7/0 frenzy hooks and proceeded to keep catching yellowfin We quit about 1230 with 7 yellowfin to 75 pounds including Rauls personal best of 75 pounds.
    [​IMG]

I ran an overnighter sun night with a group from Austin Texas and we waylayed the tuna. Started out a little slow before dark and we had 4 yellowfin in the box and 4 dolphin before we headed long. Started chunking and picking up yellowfin on every drift. We were cutting up blackfin for bait and turning them into yfs. we called it a night with 13 yellowfin and lot of happy anglers.

2. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

Nice catches Eddie. Fishing in Venice is HOT!

3. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

I ran an overnighter sun night with a group from Austin Texas and we waylayed the tuna. Started out a little slow before dark and we had 4 yellowfin in the box and 4 dolphin before we headed long. Started chunking and picking up yellowfin on every drift. We were cutting up blackfin for bait and turning them into yfs. we called it a night with 13 yellowfin and lot of happy anglers.

That was the group I was with. Eddie, I had a great time!! The fishing was great and the meat quality was awesome due to very good icing and cleaning.

Thanks!

Scott

4. STx Fisherman

Ditto on the quality of tuna meat. The best batch of tuna that I've put into my freezer to date. Thanks for the great trip Eddie!

5. Pope

Pope Senior Member

Bellyups-

Was Fred on that trip too?

6. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

There's a little confusion I think. I think I was with the group from Austin that caught 13 YF. Went with Megabait, Uncle Russ, and a couple of great guys that they work with. One of the dorado we caught (James actually) was over 5 feet long. Didn't weigh it but it was large. I'll let Uncle Russ and Louis tell the story cause they're putting the pics together. Did have a great time.
    Love the OTI rods, 'specially the spinner. TJ, we didn't get a chance to get hooked up on the prototype rods but they feel strong and the lighter one loads great.

Fred

7. STx Fisherman

Bellyups....our trip totals were:
    12 YFT and 3 dorados.

8. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

In coming up with a trip report, we decided to divide the work up: Louis and James took the pictures because they brought cameras. I agreed to write it up because, while I am not good at much, I have always been able to make fish larger with words, so long as the actual carcasses have been disposed of. Fred’s and Steve’s contribution was to keep their mouths shut and catch fish—so there was actually something to take pictures of and write about.

Louis and James will be posting pictures on this thread soon.

It wasn’t just a great trip—it was an unbelievable trip. When Captain Eddie says we were some happy anglers, he is wrong—we were some ass-over-elbow-jumping-up-and-down ape$hit anglers. While I am on the subject of the good Captain, I want to add that he is part of what made the trip a great one—not just because he put us on fish, but because he was extremely helpful with those of us who are new to tuna fishing and he joined in as part of the group in having a good time. The primary goal of the group which we communicated to him was to catch tuna and dorado—period. And that is what he did. We didn’t bottom fish (mainly because offshore of Venice is the Mariana Trench—there just ain’t no bottom), and we didn’t troll or jig. We fished live bait and we chunked and we chunked and we chunked some more. We did cast poppers when something broke near us, and we saw lots of busting yellow fin, but they stayed way out away from us. The few times they busted real close and we got a cast to them, they wouldn’t hit. It was my assessment that only two of us had the casting skills to get out anywhere near them, and that was Fred and Captain Eddie. They only got one between them, when the Captain did a quick flip cast to about a 50 pounder at what I would estimate to be about 250 feet from the boat. He just happened to grab my 700XH/Twinspin with 105 pound line and a little bitty popper that weighed about 3 ounces. He hooked up and handed the rod to Fred who was nearest him and Fred made it look like bringing a bluegill in—OK, not quite.

Fred (who already owns three OTI rods) and I cast quite a bit with the slower of the two prototypes TJ so generously leant us but, as Fred reported, only one fish was actually hooked up on poppers so we really did not do them justice. I personally fished the slower of the two (I think it was the second version of the 7 ½ foot rod) and I was able to get better distance by about 20 feet, (using an OTI Wombat Chugger) than I was able to with the 700XH and a heavier popper. The main problem we had was that the bite on bait was so fast and furious and we moved the boat so often that it was difficult to try out all the popping tackle. Also, Captain Eddie (in keeping with our prime directive to catch fish—by any method) did not want us to blind cast with the popping rods, but only at sighted busting fish. I have more limited experience than Fred, but I would say that if I had never bought the 700XH and 700H, I probably would have picked up both these rods when they became available and never bought the Calstars. As it is, it is highly likely I will buy one or both anyway. It was highly unfortunate that we were not able to do them justice.

But to the fish: As Captain Eddie said, we got into fish almost immediately. When we made bait, Eddie let me live even after he saw me trying to roll up and save a used Sabiki rig. When we did our first drift, James tossed out a 7 ounce Luhr-Jensen Krokodile spoon with the treble hook cut off and a 9/0 Monster assist hook. He immediately hooked up with the big bull dorado that Fred mentioned, and made short work of it. While that fight was still in its early stages, Steve hooked up with the first yellow fin of the day on live bait and did a great job on it. I have to add that Steve put his line out three times with a chunk or a livie and hooked and landed three yellow fin. Since we were only fishing 2-3 baits at once, he sat down for several hours, then when he took the rod again, that night, he caught another one after a couple of drifts! Fred tied him with 4 yellow fin, and all of the rest of caught at least one. I think biggest fish honors probably goes to Louis with one that may have weighed 70 or 75 pounds, and I had one close behind that. On the other hand, mine may have been bigger because Louis put a mark on his to identify it, and at the cleaning tables, he didn’t brag, so who knows! :)

I have to give Fred the trophy for the man you would send in to administer an enema to a Bengal Tiger. I know he caught at least three fish without using a harness or the rail or anything else but technique and brute strenth.

We filled the fish box by 1:00 a.m. and got back to the dock around 3:30. There had been only one prolonged period during which no fish was caught for a few drifts. I had thought before going out that when we had all the fish we wanted, I would be ready to do catch and release until dawn. And I might have been, had Captain Eddie provided an on-board massage therapist and heavy pain-killers.

I think, all-in-all we lost about 4 fish, for a catch/hookup ratio of about 75 percent. As I remember, we only broke off one and I know we had two hooks pull. Eddie and Louis had a slight though friendly disagreement about Super Mutu hooks versus Mustad. (Eddie likes the Mustad). I feel very strongly both ways.

As for the experience, I can speak for all of us in saying it was a dream trip. Speaking only for myself, I will add that I ain’t even close to the man I used to be—the two tuna I caught put a hurt on me. What put a worse hurt, though was making steaks and packaging the Good Lord only knows how much fish last night. At Central Market they get $20.00 a pound for the stuff so I told my wife we made a profit!

And we did. Having fished for well over 50 years, I, like most fishermen have always weighed the benefits of a trip in terms you cannot measure in money or in pounds of fish in the freezer. Rather, it is good camaraderie, a great boat, beautiful water and, oh yes—catching lots of big fish. All of us thank Captain Eddie and T.J. and Kevin. Personally, between Eddie and Fred I learned an enormous amount on this trip. From now on, I will consider myself an expert. :)

Russ

9. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

Personally, between Eddie and Fred I learned an enormous amount on this trip. From now on, I will consider myself an expert. :)

Russ

:eek:

Oh boy! here we go! :)

I think that you see why so many folks that have fished with Eddie like him so well. Congrats on a great trip.

10. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Thanks, Gull. One of the high points of the trip was when Louis, who makes pretty good money trying to tell some of the rest of us how to do our jobs, and who incidentally will eat anything that swims, caught a really, really big black fin, only to have Captain Eddie sneer at like he had seen a cockroach on his plate and release it, saying: "We already got enough bait." Also even though Eddie is a Cajun who talks as fast as a New Yorker, and I'm half deaf, I actually understood his advice--when I got him to repeat it 3 or 4 times.

Russ

11. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

lol.. Excellent trip report!!! FIrst time I had ever talked to Eddie was last week.. he is definately Cajun... hehe.. I am sure they snicker at our texas twang as well... Our group cant wait to fish with Capt Eddie in October!! I also thought to myself.... catch and release.... yeah right!! 3 tuna and I will be SPENT!!! I could care less to keep blackfin either... Dodos or YFT is the meat I like.

12. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

From now on, I will consider myself an expert. :)

Russ

Does this mean you will no longer ask any questions?:D

13. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

MrBill: At this point, folks like you and Gunsmoke, Randy, Rick, T.J., gman, the gull, and all the rest, are pretty much has-beens or never wases! :p Now people will be telling their grandchildren they had Uncle Russ as their offshore mentor. I think Kevin and Kil are still safe because I have no interest in making my own rods and I have not yet started jigging, so I may need another trip to be better than Kil.;)

The one big mistake I made was trying to pretend I was a po-boy's McGolfer. I took enough tackle to outfit the Normandy invasion and ended up using one hook, one windon leader, two poppers, and three rods.

Or in other words: Hell, yes, I'll be asking questions!

Russ

14. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

From now on, I will consider myself an expert.

Russ

Does this mean you will no longer ask any questions?:D

I thought that he could at least tie his own hooks now. :)

We'll still answer your questions as best we can.

I'll give you some advice.... Do not think that you will get away with small tackle expendatures every trip...

Sometimes ya have to lose it to replace it :D

15. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Congratulations Russ

16. Drifter

Drifter Senior Member

View attachment 1295

View attachment 1296 Attached are a couple of pics. Left to right - Uncle Russ, Steve, James, Gimmedeal, and Drifter (Gigabite on 2coolfishing).

Tuna were busting bait during the entire trip! For several of us it was our first YFT and it's certainly now a life long memory. To quote Gimmedeal, "Venice is a great fishery"!

Now for the good, the bad, and the ugly, IMO.

The good - our trip was everything we hoped for. We caught 13 YFT to 70lbs, 4 Dolphin to about 25lbs, and numerous large BFT to 20+ lbs (all released but they were fun to catch!). Seas were maybe 1 foot - made for a smooth ride! Calstar/Accurate 50, Super Seeker/Avet 30, and Sea Magic/Avet 50 performed magnificently! We established new friendships. Captain Eddie shared his expertise with us and we're better fishermen for it. Uncle Russ survived his 2 YFT fights :). The Ribeye and Tuna steaks we grilled after the trip were great!

The bad - We probably took 150 lbs of tackle on board and only needed hooks, fluorocarbon, sabiki rigs, and a handful of poppers. YFT were chasing fliers the whole trip yet we never tried our Ballistic and Yummy fliers - go figure! There was a 4% charge (based on the charter fee) by the Marina we were not informed about until after the trip. Not that it's a substantial amount ($82) but nevertheless, I asked several times if there were any additional charges we needed to be aware of and this fee was never mentioned. I chose not to make an issue of it and just paid it. We didn't take enough ice on the boat and were unable to use the second boat fish box. Since we had several hours on our overnight trip left, we may have been able to at least fill all our YFT quota. Not sure this qualifies as bad but there'd no deckhand on the boat so we did most of the cleanups during the trip. I always do this when I'm on a boat as a crew but question if this is our task when we're paying almost 3 grand for a trip. I'm sure many will disagree but this is just my opinion.

The ugly - someone had his vehicle (small SUV) and trailer slide into the water at the marina boat ramp. A tractor managed to pull them out but I heard the engine was running when it went in the water. Word was the vehicle was totaled.

We definitely plan to make another trip in the near future!

Attached Files:

17. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Bellyups-

Was Fred on that trip too?

I guess my trip was not one of the ones Capt Eddie mentioned. Like STxFisherman (smells like tuna) said, we caught 12 YFT and 3 dorados. We were all happy and went in 10 hours early. Fishbox couldn't hold anything more.

It seems like Captn Eddie gets everyone on fish and fills the fish box. I get confused on what trip he is talking about as the story is usually the same.

18. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Drifter is correct that, even among our group, there is some respectful disagreement on a couple of his points:

1. Knowing how thorough Louis is in trip planning, I have absolutely no doubt that the 4 % Marina surcharge blindsided us, but I don't think any of us, including Louis, think that was in any way intentional.

2. We are pretty much divided on the issue of whether we got enough fishing time (and fish) for the money. Personally, I was entirely satisfied, under the circumstances. I too wondered why we didn't put ice in the second box, but I did so only because I had no idea how many fish would fit in the first one. Unlike SkeeterRonnie, I have tried Blackfin and liked it fine, and yes, I would always love to catch more fish, but speaking strictly for myself, I was OK with not filling my limit to the last fish or going after Blackfin.

3. As for our party being expected to do part of the cleanup, I respectfully disagree completely with Louis on that point. I do not know what the normal practice is on a charter that size, but here are my thoughts:

(a) Assuming it is normal not to have both a captain and a deck hand on a 36 foot boat with 5 to 6 fishermen, I would much rather have the Captain (1) looking for fish on the surface, (2) throwing out the chunks, (3) managing the drift to keep us in the best line, and (4) most important, keeping my sorry old a$$ from becoming a part of the legs of the drill rig.

(b) Personally, I was having trouble staying out of Eddie's way as he moved rapidly between the console, the chunks, and folks with fish on. With a sixth fisherman or a deckhand, even though the Contender is a beautiful, large boat, I think the problem would be compounded.

(c) I think part of Louis's frustration is due to the fact that he and Fred did the lion's share of the washing and brushing. I have to admit that I could have contributed more to that effort and one of the other guys has said as much.

All in all, it may be the case that Captain Eddie could nail down some of the expectations a little better--on the other hand, if I had to choose between someone who is well versed in the laws of verbal contracts and someone who can put my party on 13 nice yellow fin tuna with a 75 percent catch-hookup ratio, I am going to have to choose the lawyer every time. Oh, wait!

Russ

19. CaptEddie

CaptEddie Site Sponsor

I had forgotten about the credit card fee as I dont normally run credit cards. Normally do checks and cash. That is something the marina does on its own and has nothing to do with a charge by me and theres no way I can get them to not do it as well.

20. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

as a business- the credit card companies SUCK!!! thanks for clearing up the fee. we will be paying in cash. Thanks Capt Eddie!!

21. James3678

James3678 Junior member

Here's a few pics:

1. Overall Catch: 13 YFT, 5 Dorado
    2. Steve working hard at Millenium
    3. Uncle Russ first YFT
    4. Megabyte first YFT at Ursa
    5. Megabyte 2nd (or 3rd) YFT at Ursa

I'll put up a few more

Attached Files: