offshore party boat jigging in NJ

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by silky23, Jun 25, 2009.

1. silky23

silky23 Senior Member

Anyone out there ever jigged off a party boat for Tuna/ wahoo etc in NJ? I'm having a hard time finding one that will allow me to use braided line.

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

big jamaica to name just one.

3. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

i did a tuna charter on a PB last year from jersey.
    we were using braid,
    i chartered the voyager from PP, a few guys from here came along.
    there are a few boats that allow braid.
    we usually get 6 pack charters from jersey...and use whatever we want.
    some of the boats are using OTI and custom rods for jigging trips this year..
    i hope the yellow fin tuna show up this year in the canyons.

http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f57/nj-jig-fest-oct-9-a-3232/

4. silky23

silky23 Senior Member

Thanks, Voyager and Jamaica are close to me I'll check them out. Paul, you gonna set up another jig fest this year?

5. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

Thanks, Voyager and Jamaica are close to me I'll check them out. Paul, you gonna set up another jig fest this year?
    yeah,
    plus we always have other trips going all the time. i hope to do another trip.
    just hope the fish show in the canyons later.

they are there now.
    we may try soon for them
    give a call for info.
    610-316-3594

6. Sea Bear

Sea Bear Senior Member

Try any boat but the Jamaica! :eek:

Voyager and Gambler are great boats that allow braid for jigging. The Sea Devil is the best run operation of any but they don't allow braid.

I fish the Sea Devil and catch just as many tuna fishing mono. See avatar. ;)

7. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

Try any boat but the Jamaica! :eek:

why

8. Sea Bear

Sea Bear Senior Member

why

IMHO the worst operation going for canyon tuna. If being stuffed like sardines isn't already enough for you on a 24 hr trip you still have to put up with any and all of the unregulated nonsense that can (but may not always) happen on board. Capt. Howard cares way more about your fare then he does your enjoyment and safety. Personally, if I'm going to be on a boat for that length of time I'd prefer a captain who runs a tight operation, has a strict set of guidelines that are geared towards promoting everyone's overall enjoyment and well being, and has a lot of focus on overall safety. That is why I only fish with Capt. Bob Pennington of the Sea Devil. There are other solid party boat tuna operations out there as well, but I just don't believe the Jamaica is one of them. This is merely my personal opinion so if anyone out there enjoys the Jamaica that is fine, I'm not aiming to start an argument about it. :)

9. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Here are lists of tuna party boats which allow braided line for jigging.

1.Jamaica
    2.Voyager
    3.Doris Mae
    4.Miss Barnegat Light

Those boats are leders for party boat tuna fishing in NJ.
    The Sea Devil is very nice, clean boat, but you are required to make the boat clean too. :) The Jamaica is different, it is kind of user friendly. They just let you fish what you like. In fact it was Jamaica which opened the use of the braided line on a party boat. Once The Jamaica allowd the use of braided line, all other boats followed.
    I like to fish on the Jamaica as they usually know where hot bites are as they go everyday, weather permitting and they don't have many silly boat rules.
    Customers sometiems are rough on the boat, it doesn't bother me much as I only jig on the bow. But don't expect all nice customers on any party boat in NJ/NY as you experience in Texas. :)

10. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

Here are lists of tuna party boats which allow braided line for jigging.

1.Jamaica
    2.Voyager
    3.Doris Mae
    4.Miss Barnegat Light

Those boats are leders for party boat tuna fishing in NJ.
    The Sea Devil is very nice, clean boat, but you are required to make the boat clean too. :) The Jamaica is different, it is kind of user friendly. They just let you fish what you like. In fact it was Jamaica which opened the use of the braided line on a party boat. Once The Jamaica allowd the use of braided line, all other boats followed.
    I like to fish on the Jamaica as they usually know where hot bites are as they go everyday, weather permitting and they don't have many silly boat rules.
    Customers sometiems are rough on the boat, it doesn't bother me much as I only jig on the bow. But don't expect all nice customers on any party boat in NJ/NY as you experience in Texas. :)

LOL, exactly. the fares are a bit different in general :)

i too like the jamaica and have always done well on the trips. the boat is very big and heavy and handles seas well. they also throttle it right out of the inlet so you get to the grounds quick. 24 or 25 knots on that boat is really moving.

11. jig

jig Senior Member

I am another who jigs with mono. Mainly because of tangles with others on the partyboat. I seem to do fine.

12. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I am another who jigs with mono. Mainly because of tangles with others on the partyboat. I seem to do fine.
    You can use mono line on any boat. :)
    I assume you use light mono line, not 80 lbs.
    We used to use 40 - 50 lbs mono for deep jgging when braided line were not available. The problem of using heavy mono lines like 80 lbs, you got to use heavier jig to compensate floating problem.

13. Sea Bear

Sea Bear Senior Member

Exactly! Lets not forgot how many tuna were for decades caught jigging with only mono before spectra was ever around! Don't get me wrong, I love spectra for blackfishing, fluking, and all other bottom fishing in general but for party boat tuna its just not necessary by any means!

14. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

it has certain advantages for jigging over mono

15. jig

jig Senior Member

Kil, I use 40#, maybe 60# if jigging for bigger fish. I do have more drift obviously compared to braid. But I only jig in under 150' usually, unless jigging for blackfin. I don't jig for YFT, although I may let the boat jig for me if YFT are super deep.

16. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

Jig- Im not sure if youve jigged for tuna here on the east coast but its mainly a yellofin/albacore bite with some big eye in the mix.

using 60lb mono is probably the reason youre tangling with other people. Any party boat with a half decent crew will get you out of tangles and help you stay out of tangles. Having 80lb braid is a key to this as you can put much more pressure on the fish. Also with 60lb mono with current heavy days you get huge amounts of scope which doesnt help. Tuna here also tend to shy away from the larger sized jigs, having thin braid allows us to use smaller jigs and still stay in the zone

17. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Kil, I use 40#, maybe 60# if jigging for bigger fish. I do have more drift obviously compared to braid. But I only jig in under 150' usually, unless jigging for blackfin. I don't jig for YFT, although I may let the boat jig for me if YFT are super deep.

Blackfin is no problem with 40 - 50 lbs mono, but big yellowfin is somewhat different. You still land a decent size yellowfin with 50 lbs mono, but it takes time as you can not use higher drag and it can cause some problems when you fish with crowd.

When braided line becames available, some started to use PE lines for tuna jigging and they constantly outfished other bait fishermen. That was the starting point for party boats to allow braided lines for jigging. They realized the use of braided lines for jigging didn't cause much problems as they expected.
    Most guys who used PE lines were using 80 - 100 lbs and gave at least 20 lbs drag which allowed to land tuna very quickly before it tangled with other lines while mostly jigging on the bow away from the crowd.

Tangels are mostly caused not by the choice of lines, but the reluctance to move around and maintain 90 degree with fighting tuna.

18. silky23

silky23 Senior Member

Thanks for the insight Kil, Right now I've got #55 diawa boat on my cabo 80. This is what I was planning to use, in your opinion is this too light of a line? I understand that most of the folks on this site are heavy on the shimano reels but the Cabo is the reel I can afford right now and from what I hear it'll get me in the water. I'm just not so sure if the line weight is heavy enough. I was able to get like 500 yards or so of the diawa braid on there, just in case something tries to spool me
    :)

19. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

55# is a little light.....not to say it wont work, but with 80 you can push more pressure on the fish. if you've already got the line then id say give it a shot. no need to go spend more money on gear if you have the 55# already.

20. silky23

silky23 Senior Member

55# is a little light.....not to say it wont work, but with 80 you can push more pressure on the fish. if you've already got the line then id say give it a shot. no need to go spend more money on gear if you have the 55# already.

Thanks for the info Bret, Paul (JPR) told me the same thing. I'll probably get an extra spool and have it loaded with #80 just in case.

I'm hearing the YFT are starting to show up now, can't wait.

21. jig

jig Senior Member

I agree with all of the above. But on a GOM partyboat with 39 other fishermen minimum, someone is not going to follow the 'no angles, no tangles' rule, and it only takes one to wrap you all up. I have yet to see a deckhand in GOM who can untangle a wad of 6 fishermen's line with a balled up bunch of braid. With mono, I don't even wait; I cut out, splice back with two unis and am fishing again in under a minute.

And mono is not causing tangles (at least not in my application). In a drift, yes there is bow in the line, but it is taking it away from the boat, out of the drift of people straight down. The tangles are due to a fish running up and down the boat wrapping lines, as we are shoulder to shoulder.

I am not knocking braid. I don't have any problems with people using it. I realize I am in the minority. If I was on a private charter I would use it. But I fish partyboats exclusively, and I tried the braid and went back to mono. And my only point was, I still manage to catch plenty of fish.

22. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

if you hang out in the bow, you're also less likely to tangle than if you're elbow to elbow with guys live lining flyers