Offshore near Lake Charles LA

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by WahooMaster08, Aug 15, 2009.

1. WahooMaster08

WahooMaster08 Senior Member

Does anyone know of any good places to catch a offshore trip near Lake Charles? Myself and some of my soldiers are looking to take a trip when we get home from Iraq which wont be much longer. Also does anyone know the fishing report in that area?

2. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

first of all, thanks for what your doing over there. i am also a veteran and live 2 minutes away from ft. polk. offshore from lake charles is not that great. your better fishing inshore and big lake than going offshore in this area. id go further east and fish venice or port fourchon. hit me up when y'all get back maybe i can set up something. brian

3. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Does anyone know of any good places to catch a offshore trip near Lake Charles? Myself and some of my soldiers are looking to take a trip when we get home from Iraq which wont be much longer. Also does anyone know the fishing report in that area?

Theres a few reports on Rod n reel Louisiana Fishing & Hunting Reports with Pictures

Not much though for lake charles. Most are out of Fouchon or venice like Kidflex said.

I will be heading over to that part of the world in November.

d-a

4. WahooMaster08

Sweet, I could use a little direction in fishing that area, need to find some spots. I will give you a shout when I get back that would be cool to get out and have some freedom. I have been looking at all the fishing in Venice and notice there is some really good tuna around there, hopefully once I have my first son (due Sept 23) I can get out that way and hit it up. I will definitely give you a shout though. Take care

first of all, thanks for what your doing over there. i am also a veteran and live 2 minutes away from ft. polk. offshore from lake charles is not that great. your better fishing inshore and big lake than going offshore in this area. id go further east and fish venice or port fourchon. hit me up when y'all get back maybe i can set up something. brian

5. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

depending on what you want there is a good variety on both sides of lake charles. galveston/freeport-tarpon, sharks inshore throughout summer. can get into tuna 100 miles offshore. venice and fourchon-water get deep quick. all offshore species can be had pretty close. excellent inshore all year 'round. paradise-outfitters site has daily fishing reports with pics out of venice. some other captains post here as im sure you've seen.

im a jigging and popping kind of guy, id rather not use bait but if with other people that just want to catch a bunch of fish i'll deal with it. once you drop a jig its hard to drop live bait even when the catch ratio can be depressing.

i have plenty of gear also.

6. WahooMaster08

Sweet deal, I just bought an Avet HX and a JPR rod. I am hoping that the reel will be there when I get home and the rod not to long after that. Other then that I have inshore stuff. I have only fished bait but would like to try jigs. I have seen some good stuff on them and figured that I would give it a shot. I have fished a lot out of Galveston but that is really about it. I am looking forward to trying new places. Inshore I like to hit the reds and flounder, just fun to catch and good to eat. Will be giving you a shout for sure. Take it easy.