Offshore long casting rods

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by rebel, Feb 17, 2009.

1. rebel

rebel Senior Member

I'm a bit confused here! Assuming an 8' popping rod rated at PE 8-12 recommended for max 300 grams poppers VS another 8' rod rated PE 3-8 & recommended for poppers between 100-250 grams, which one would cast further?

I read in other forums that if the rod is recommended for heavier poppers, it won't cast lighter ones well.

2. d-a

d-a Senior Member

There are too many variables, plus your comparing a GT rod to a tuna rod. An apples to oranges comparison.

Use the search function it will answer most all your questions.

d-a

3. rebel

rebel Senior Member

They both are GT popping rods, no Tuna rods here. Search function does not help much when it comes to such specific information. What are the other variables?

They both got:
    Same rod length (8 feet)
    Same rod weight (450 grams)
    Butt joint design.
    Same spinning reel.

The only difference is recommended lure weight & PE line

4. d-a

d-a Senior Member

A pe 3-8 is on the light side for a GT rod, as most guys want to fish pe 12 as a minimum to put maximum pressure to keep them out of the reef.

Are you going to use the max lure weight of each rod? How is your technique, you may not be able to load the pe 10-12 rod properly

d-a

5. rebel

rebel Senior Member

A pe 3-8 is on the light side for a GT rod, as most guys want to fish pe 12 as a minimum to put maximum pressure to keep them out of the reef.

Are you going to use the max lure weight of each rod? How is your technique, you may not be able to load the pe 10-12 rod properly

d-a

The max line I'm gonna use is PE 8, max lure is 150 grams.

6. d-a

d-a Senior Member

The max line I'm gonna use is PE 8, max lure is 150 grams.

Does it have to be a 8ft rod? Whats your budget? OTI makes 2 rods that fit what your looking for perfectly. One is the 7'6 80lb popping rod and the other is the 8'6 Tuna Sniper. Both are rated for 21lbs of fighting drag(you will see pics on here of dead lifting more) and have a great warranty(most imported Japanese rods wont).

d-a

7. red34

red34 Guest

There are too many variables, plus your comparing a GT rod to a tuna rod. An apples to oranges comparison.

Use the search function it will answer most all your questions.

d-a

Forgive my ignorance, but what would the main differences between a rod designed for casting to Tuna and one designed for GT?

Speaking of Huge GT's - Spanish Fly has been airing a couple of shows filmed somewhere near S Africa fishing from a mothership operation where Jose Wajebe and a fly fishing guide are hitting up some untouched bays and Huge GT's from what looks to be a party boat. The water there looks incrediable and those fish look FUN AS HELL!! Wish I had endless $$$ to do stuff like that. (Not to mention having a 34' Sea Vee w/ trip 275 Verados)