Offshore at Massys...

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by Enoch, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Point me in the right direction please!

I am currently planning a charter trip for me and 3 others. I was wondering what is the best inshore/offshore trip from the East coast out of New Jersey.

I am thinking driving distance and would plan to get out there the 23rd weekend of august.

Any pointers? captains? charters? I would like to find the AJ and certain inshore species.

thanks for the help.

Enoch

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update,

So my buddy I met in Kona, Hawaii calls me up and invites me to New Jerseys finest. Without a hesitation I am up and on it for a chance to hit up some bluefin. Couldnt speak of more pleasurable weather. The swells were 3 feet high and 15 seconds apart. Hurricane afflicted.

From start to finish we limited out in 4 hours with three fish in the ice box. We took a small bull mahi on the chunk, and 2 bft which were a 65lber and a 100lber. Speaking of jiggin, I did get to use my new Shimano rod and got to fight a bluefin for about 20 minutes untill the split ring on my butterfly jig got straightened by the strength of the tuna. The hit and fight was one of the most intense fishing experiences I have had of catching anything.

The two landed came on penn 50 and 70's. For the hits and fish we missed, there were probably another 4 runs on tuna and countless mahis. I can also note we were picking up hits from about 120 feet down or more. Tuna were hitting sand eels at the time.

Anyhow, thanks all that gave me pm help on the locations. Brian, let me know when you are up for a NC trip! I am officially hooked on tuna!

Here are some pictures:

2. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

btw, the one caught with a jig was on a long retrieve motion.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

nice work on the bluefin, i cant wait to get up there in a couple weeks, i hope theyre still around

4. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Nice work.
    >. Speaking of jiggin, I did get to use my new Shimano rod and got to fight a bluefin for about 20 minutes untill the split ring on my butterfly jig got straightened by the strength of the tuna. <

Your split ring should not have any serious load on it if your rig properly. Your line and assist hook should be on the solid ring.

5. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

Enoch - Great job on the bft and Mahi! You've officially surpassed me in catching pelagics in Nj already lol. Which charter service and captain did you go out with? I'll be going on the NC JigFest Part Deux during Labor Day weekend. 5 people are already signed up out of 8 spots. The details are on the other forum. You should definitely jump on this opportunity. 2 days of hardcore fishing!

6. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

yeah there are spots you guys should check it out if you like jigging. action all day long

7. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Brian,

I double checked my schedule for labor day weekend and i may be able to make it down there. Any update on avalibility?

Bret, did you head down yet for topwater hits? Like you said, it WAS non-stop action. Kinda looked like a parking lot of boats 30 miles out... haha

8. TBaker

TBaker Senior Member

Brian,

I double checked my schedule for labor day weekend and i may be able to make it down there. Any update on avalibility?

There is still availability! Jump on board!

9. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

btw, the one caught with a jig was on a long retrieve motion.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    nice..where did you go out of
    thats my favorite place to fish from

10. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

There is still availability! Jump on board!

what he said ;)

11. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Tbaker,

Which thread is the Labor day trip on? Can you lead me to a url?

12. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

nice..where did you go out of
    thats my favorite place to fish from

Paul,

I went out of Cape May. It was massy' or the 19th lump. Of course we had the hotdog in the back of our minds but it would have been more like a parking lot filled with boats out there.

I've heard great reports for the past week or so. NC would be a great trip for multi-species as opposed to just NJ

13. TBaker

TBaker Senior Member

Tbaker,

Which thread is the Labor day trip on? Can you lead me to a url?

Here is where you can find the thread with details.

NC Labor Day Weekend Jigfest! - Jigging and Popping Forum

But since I'm kinda the organizer, you can shoot me a PM here too. :)

We've been down there a couple of times (should be a thread or 2 here with pics). Just an insane jigging fishery. The AJ fishing, in particular, is something to behold. Big, aggressive, and a gazillion of them! Literally one drop, one fish! :eek: AND, since we're either in or right next to the gulf stream, there is all kinds of variety. Last trip we had a 30 - 40 lb. mahi swim up to the boat within 5 mins. of arrival. One guy raised a sailfish just blindly casting a swim bait. Had a jig get whacked by a wahoo on the way down... But you get the idea! :) And there should be even more variety when we're there. Big goal, though, is a 100+ AJ. Largest we know of this year is ~145! :eek:

Hope you can join!

14. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

Paul,

I went out of Cape May. It was massy' or the 19th lump. Of course we had the hotdog in the back of our minds but it would have been more like a parking lot filled with boats out there.

I've heard great reports for the past week or so. NC would be a great trip for multi-species as opposed to just NJ
    what marina did you go from?

15. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

what marina did you go from?

Paul they are in a private slip, the closest marina is Pharo's aka next to Miss Chris... right off Harbor Rd.

16. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

Paul they are in a private slip, the closest marina is Pharo's aka next to Miss Chris... right off Harbor Rd.
    ok..we go out right accross the street
    tell the guys to check the OTI stuff in the store at south jersey marina;)

17. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Some of the OTI rods are a few years old right?
    i saw models not avaliable online or through the website