360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I know some people use 2 assist hooks and others use one. some people vary the length of the 2 assist hooks as well as the size of the 2 hooks when fishing two hooks. What are your guys takes and why on the numbe of assist hooks and how long the cord should be for jigging tuna.
Thanks,
Bobby

·
5,457 Posts
I like one, and usually there 1/3-1/2 the length of the jig.

Two hooks generally means theirs one not attached to a fish and flopping around to hook the angler or deckhand

d-a

·
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
do you find your hook up ratio any different with one opposed to 2 hooks? also do you find when using to hooks that the hooks foul each other? i ask this because i have only used 1 hook. thanks again,
Bobby

·
3,165 Posts
I like one, and usually there 1/3-1/2 the length of the jig.

Two hooks generally means theirs one not attached to a fish and flopping around to hook the angler or deckhand

d-a

x2...

astro..

·
1,657 Posts
When I first started to develop jigs I asked the same question. The guys with more experience at jigging than I had, told me one hook. I liked the stiff rig over the flexible (personal choice) so I went with that and never regretted it.

I know of two different people that have been connected to a fish via a jig with two hooks.

·
5,457 Posts
do you find your hook up ratio any different with one opposed to 2 hooks? also do you find when using to hooks that the hooks foul each other? i ask this because i have only used 1 hook. thanks again,
Bobby

Only once have i had someone hook up quicker than me with 2 hooks, but he was using a hook on the bottom and to of the jig where as I was using a single at the top. He also was using a different jig, so that may have had something to do with it. We both were hooking up just he seemed a little quicker at it.

But that was on Red snapper not tuna, tuna freak out when the hit the deck and I wouldnt want an extra hook flying around.

d-a

·
821 Posts
I agree that the 2 hook rig isn't very safe. Another problem to me was sometimes you hook 2 fish because the second one is trying to steal the lure from the fish that is hooked. Of course I guess that isn't that bad a problem!

G

·
the OTI jigs come with two hooks - i always tell people to take one off and keep it as a spare in case you run into kings/cuda/bluefish and they fray your assist cord.

·
726 Posts
I like etans view on it. I use to use two hooks but after a few times of hooking two A.J.s at once, I saw the light. One hook is the only way I go now.

·
1,631 Posts
I used two last season and can account for everything said here so far. It's easy to attach yourself to a fish and a jig with a second hook, it's easier for that second hook to find itself stuck in rope, pants, boots, and whatever else is around when a fish is trashing on board.

For 2010, I've changing all my jigs over to a single hook, now I have atleast 60-70 extra assist hooks. Oh well, always good to have spares and at first sight of fray, I won't hesitate to change them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts