360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to fish Cape Cod in a couple of weeks. Any idea what the blue fin are biting up there? Do I need to throw siren 185s or Hogy Sliders?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've heard they are keyed in on smaller baits but it can change quick. I have a trip on the 14th and can give you an update if you would like. That's assuming your trip is after mine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You might want to join myfishingcapecod for the month (I think the first month may be $1)-they are focused on that fishery and the members are very open regarding strategy and what fish are keyed in on right now. I think I just got an email saying folks were having luck trolling spreader bars...

·
38 Posts
Was there 2 weeks ago, lots of ~40" class fish, fun to catch but very finicky popping and jigging. They loved a spreader bar with a 24" rubber squid

When we opened one up, packed with small baby butterfish. Go figure. My guess is that the big trolling rig is the only thing that gets their attention.

·
780 Posts
The fishing this year has been excellent. As the butterfish move out the fish will become more opportunistic. Espada S and Ron Z 10" in silver have been producing for us, nothing on poppers. The troll bite has been insane, but casting after hooking up has proved to be a solid tactic. Good luck!

·
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The fishing this year has been excellent. As the butterfish move out the fish will become more opportunistic. Espada S and Ron Z 10" in silver have been producing for us, nothing on poppers. The troll bite has been insane, but casting after hooking up has proved to be a solid tactic. Good luck!
Thanks man, awesome report! Always keep a Ron Z in the box! No Espada S. We’ll have Matt Perachio (tighten up charters) and Josh Zacharias (outermost angling) so hopefully they have some…

·
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Awesome! Does he have tackle we can use? I only bluefin fish once every 2-3 years so not trying to build an extensive collection

·
Retired Member
5,052 Posts
Awesome! Does he have tackle we can use? I only bluefin fish once every 2-3 years so not trying to build an extensive collection
Can’t say if Capt Josh has rods and reels as I always brought my own. I can say that Josh is one of the best captains you can count on to get you on the fish.

Benny

·
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Can’t say if Capt Josh has rods and reels as I always brought my own. I can say that Josh is one of the best captains you can count on to get you on the fish.

Benny
Thanks Benny that’s the most important thing! I have the rods and reels was asking more about lures. I plan to grab a few but due to the variation of what they eat, I definitely won’t have the ability to match every hatch possible. What are the top 5 lures you would recommend bringing?

·
Retired Member
5,052 Posts
It’s funny that you said the 5 most recommended. I’ll bring a ton of different brands, styles, colors some $75+ each. But the one that I caught more on than all the other high priced is the Shimano Orca Walker. With today’s hard to find tackle these should be readily available. Just change out trebles to singles.

Benny

·
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had a bunch of Siren Deep Seductress and cherry pie big baits but traded them for a rod/reel combo so I have my larger GOM lures orcas, dorado sliders, Hogy charter sliders, baby Runboh, Barabas etc. is there a size/color walker you recommend? Thanks for the insight…

·
Retired Member
5,052 Posts
Sounds like your bag is full of good treats! Other than adding darker colors on cloudy days and lighter colors on bright sunny days. I wish I knew that one special lure color and size that worked every time, I try and match what they’re feeding on. If it’s mackerel then I’ll put on a mackerel pattern, and so on. IMO it’s more of the lure action than the color to get them to bite. Try different sizes and colors after given each a few different retrieves. Reel slow, fast, stop and go, long sweeps, short sweeps, along with sinking and floating lures. You just need to have the right lure do the right move at the right time.

Benny

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just got these Jack Fins from Striker Offshore Tackle today for my trip next week. Designed for bluefin tuna but small profile. Quick shipping and reasonable price. Might be something to look into. And its not like you can ever have to many lures.
Surface lure Fish hook Vertebrate Bait Fishing lure

1 - 20 of 32 Posts