Oct. 13,14,15, and 16th Bluefin Mania

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by jt2hunt, Aug 2, 2009.

1. jt2hunt

jt2hunt Senior Member

These are the dates we will descend upon the hallowed bluefin tuna grounds! Myself and Amy(the better half) will be on this trip. I have heard rumors of others that will be in hot pursuit of the giant! Gres, Fred, RUEHOO!, etc. Please let us know if you are going and post weapon choice of to do battle with the big one!:D

2. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

Jason, It's no rumor. I'll be there. Going to be bringing BD100 with 10ksw spooled w Avani SMP pe6, Tuna Sniper 60-80 w 10kfa w 20k spool, spooled with 80 jb. For jigging not sure. Have to check the arsenal and make sure I bring sufficient power. I'll probably bring an extra Stella just in case.
    Texas boys in New England spoiling for a fight.

Fred

3. Albiemanmike

Albiemanmike Senior Member

Guy's you will have a ball. I wouldn't go too crazy on the vertical jigging gear as they just have not been very willing on the vert jigs this year at least not on the many trips I have been up there. We have jigged ourselves to death for nothing. Everything has come on top or just below the surface so far this year. Now these fish can and will change behavior so if you have the room and can pack some vert gear then by all means bring some but in my limited 3 year experience with these fish the vert jigging has been good for only dogfish and bass. If there are guy's here taking them regularly on vert gear I would like to hear it.

4. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

in the fall youll have better luck on jigs. we had several jig bites and 0 topwater bites in early octobe last year.

5. jt2hunt

jt2hunt Senior Member

How about the subsurface lures in Oct?

6. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

7. gman

gman Senior Member

I will be fishing the Cape those exact dates as well. I would stock up on some subsurface tuna meals such as Sinking Baby Runboh, Sinking Diawa Dorado Sliders, Sinking Shimano Ocea Pencils and maybe if TJ has his new lures by then :) they can get abused as well

October the fish are always bigger and fatter so I would strongly suggest the use of heavy lines pe8, 130 plus leaders and strong arms.

Tightlines boys cant wait to see you all up here

8. jt2hunt

jt2hunt Senior Member

so, how much tuna and lobster can you pack in an airline icechest?

9. gman

gman Senior Member

not enough LOL

10. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Ship it to yourself on dry Ice(USPS). It will be cheaper than paying the extra and heavy baggage fees most airlines will charge.

d-a

11. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Hoping to be back in action up there around that time also.

12. jt2hunt

jt2hunt Senior Member

the more the merrier on this trip. makes for good memories. contact Minnow for details.

13. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

Who else is going besides?
    Jason and Amy
    TJ and Rue
    Fred
    Myself

14. jt2hunt

jt2hunt Senior Member

now is a good time to discuss what setups you are bringing on this trip.

jigging and popping, how will poppers be this time of year

15. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

Jason, I'm planning on bringing 2 popping rigs and one jigging. All spinning gear. Maybe I'll add another jigging set-up. I'll probably bring nearly the same tackle I took to PV. It's amazing how little you can get by with when you're flying w tackle.
    Let's get em.

Fred

16. jt2hunt

jt2hunt Senior Member

i also meant to ask about attire for this area during october.

tactics, when approaching an area of activity is every angler on the boat throwing poppers on these boats or we taking turns do to space. i have no idea, that is why i am asking.

thanks,

17. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

18. SSFIREMSN

SSFIREMSN Senior Member

Gman are you not going to be doing Jigfest around those dates?

19. jt2hunt

jt2hunt Senior Member

I think we need another angler or two, please contact minnow for information.

what kind of jigs are you bringing?

20. Billiam

Billiam Moderator

I pmed minnow a while back, not sure if he got my msg. :confused:

Is there still room? I can probably go 2 out of the 4 days.