360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Introducing the all New Ocean Freaks (OFFL) Captcha 60HG Series

Dear Tuna360 community,
This thread is made to address and compare High end SPJ reels with putting its main focus on what I believe to be the best slow pitch jigging reel to hit the market from Japan.
When looking to compare reels for SPJ i start by looking at two main aspects, 1. am I fishing Japanese traditional SPJ or 2. am I doing high pitch long stroke deep drop SPJ ?
They are two very different styles of slow pitch yet both are used to catch big fish, where I find the major differences between the two is in the rods and pitch movement and of course the fighting style of the fish, where 1 is normally aiming the rod tip at the fish and fighting directly reel to fish and no 2 fighting the fish with the rod aggressively while pumping strong with closed drags. as you may have already guessed this thread is meanly talking about style no 2 where we want to pump fish from the deep.

Its very easy to get sucked in to the philosophy of which is better or what is correct way of performing SPJ but in the end of the day one did come before the other but if you are enjoying either or and you are doing what makes you happy which means that it is the right style for you.

Addressing the second and less traditional style of slow pitch where we aim to catch huge fish on very light tackle at very deep water I believe that the ultimate reel has just now been introduced to the Japanese market and will make its way to the USA very fast.

This reel is designed by Japan reel engineer Mr. Yo Kido
Which was a leading product advisor and manufacturing instructor for DeepLiner Japan.

The Ocean Freaks Captcha 60HG reel features a maximum drag capacity at 25kg/55LB with a twin-drag carbon system.
This reel has been designed to challenge “big game fish” such as Kingfish, Amberjack , YFT, Blue fin tuna and huge groupers and snappers on the bottom of the ocean.
The Drag system delivers the anglers perfect control on fishing line i.e. smoothly releasing the line and swiftly stopping the line; this characteristic is especially effective with the technique of “straight-pumping”.

The material selected for these frames i space grade aluminium that is single mold engraved frame meaning its very strong and light. In addition, Captach 60HG reel have a very simple internal structure. This is done not for cost reduction, rather than when manufacturing the reels you learn that the more parts are used to build a reel, the higher chances of malfunction will occur . Other brands may require 3 to 4 parts to build the drive gear, but OFFL have managed to build it with 2 parts to achieve the same result, which delivers better drive gear performance and more resistant to malfunctions. This is achieved through hard work, dedication, research and trial and error.

Lets start off by comparing the specs:

OFFL CAPTCHA - 60HG
Bearing : 7+2
Gear Ratio : 5:1
Reel Weight : 610 gm
Line Capacity : (PE-m) 3-1200 / 4-1000
Max Drag : 25 kg.
Retrieve Ratio : Max 105 cm.
Spool Diameter (Diameter/Width) : 68/38
Handle Length : 110 mm.

Now lets compare the other Japanese Reels and there price tags:

RankingBrandModel sizeGear RationReel Weight gmBearingsLine capacity PE 3/meterMax Drag kgRetrive Ratio cmPrice Tag USD
1Ocean FreaksCaptcha 60HG5:16109120025105849
2Studio Ocean MarkBHL80Hi5.9: 16209800141131229
3ShimanoOcea Jigger F custom 3000HG6.2:1605967010115799
4DawiaSALTIGA 50A6.4:1635963011.3120549

Looking at this chart we can see a few very highlighted difference but what we put our main focus on is Reel weight compared to line capacity then drag system and of course value for money. OFFL are 10gm lighter yet have the capacity of 30% more then Studio ocean mark, 5 grams heavier then Ocen Jigger yet almost double the line capacity. All these reels have fast retrieve over 100cm which means they will function well on slow pitch, yet one stands out with 1200m line capacity of PE3 (50lb) weighing only 610gm and then top it up with a 25kg (55lb) drag system. Pricing wise only 49$ more expensive then an ocea jigger 3000 yet higher performance then a studio ocean mark reel with 380$ more expensive then the Captcha 60HG reel.

Quilty wise this reel is high as its gets, and honestly I believe its the best value for money in this ranges of reels.

These reels are starting to make a huge impact on the SPJ world fast.

Also they have two smaller models size 30HG which and 50HG all have these amazing features.

Check out the older version of this reel putting amens power on this thresher shark.

Hope you find this information useful/ want more info or have questions, please comment and ill do my best to help out.

Cheers,

Daniel
www.oceandevil.com

Household hardware Nickel Bicycle part Auto part Metal
Automotive lighting Bicycle part Rim Nickel Audio equipment

Household hardware Nickel Bicycle part Auto part Metal
Automotive tire Wheel Font Rim Bicycle part

Automotive tire Font Engineering Automotive wheel system Machine

·
Registered
124 Posts
Cool. I see it comes in left handed which is definitely a plus. Free shipping to the US?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool. I see it comes in left handed which is definitely a plus. Free shipping to the US?
Hey!
Yes they make both Left and Right Hand, if you choose to order through us, then yes its free shipping to US.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

doubts that it is made in japan
Oh wow so what your saying is that china makes replicas of high end products from around the world ? naa it cant be...
gotta love the internet...please try to dig deeper on a brand before throwing out garbing...
Try the company facebook maybe.. each reel forged and assembled in japan in a small factory in okayama japan..
I hope you don't buy your sneakers where you buy your fishing gear...
its getting late and my folex is a bit off... gn..

·
Banned
5,120 Posts
...please try to dig deeper on a brand before throwing out garbing...
Try the company facebook maybe..
each reel forged and assembled in japan in a small factory in okayama japan..
You seem quite sure of yourself.
Does that apply to your capital as well?
or is your claim one of those "gotta love the internet"

This reel is NOT manufactured in Japan.
Positive of that !

I'm willing to bet on it as well.

If I am wrong,
I will PURCHASE THREE of the Captcha 60HG
from your company.

If you are wrong,
you will send me ONE Captcha 60HG for FREE.

Sound good?
We got a bet?
Will be like taking candy from a baby for you.
That reel factory in Okayama, Japan is cranking them out for sure.

PS> The reel (body) is NOT FORGED either.
They are produced on a CNC machine.

PPS> looks like that Chinese reel producer actually built
a better version "when copying" the Japanese manufactured reel.
:)

Reactions: jiggingnut

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
You seem quite sure of yourself.
Does that apply to your capital as well?
or is your claim one of those "gotta love the internet"

This reel is NOT manufactured in Japan.
Positive of that !

I'm willing to bet on it as well.

If I am wrong,
I will PURCHASE THREE of the Captcha 60HG
from your company.

If you are wrong,
you will send me ONE Captcha 60HG for FREE.

Sound good?
We got a bet?
Will be like taking candy from a baby for you.
That reel factory in Okayama, Japan is cranking them out for sure.

PS> The reel (body) is NOT FORGED either.
They are produced on a CNC machine.

PPS> looks like that Chinese reel producer actually built
a better version "when copying" the Japanese manufactured reel.
Let me start of by saying that if i believed i was wrong in publishing this post i would admit it.
And yes I am invested in to these reels but not to the heavy extent as to put my name on the line for the brand.
The information I'm sharing is based on my understanding and research, which still leads me to believe that Ocean Freaks is indeed manufactured/assembled 100% in Japan .
As for the bet your proposing, not trying to makes sales here just to share a new innovative product that i believe enough in to associate my self with and sale on my website.

Regarding technical terminology, you got me there.. yes its called CNC and thats how they are produced, didn't know that term..
Digging deeper in to the Singaporean on youtube I find it funny that not once has he put the reels on the scale, the materials of the Captcha are in higher grade of aluminium which is much lighter and stronger which make a whole lot of difference in price. The guys claims not to be biased but from what i hear he is actually a tester for a Japanese brand (SFC) and apparently the brand doesn't like OFFL that much.., but I'm not getting deeper in to that..

With that being said see attached photos of a small factory in Okayama, Japan - Ocean Freaks Japan

CNC cutting Germany and anodising In China.2

·
Super Moderator
6,218 Posts
"PS> The reel (body) is NOT FORGED either.
They are produced on a CNC machine."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
HJ those 2 sentences don't even belong together.

#1- There is literally NO WAY for you to visually determine whether a specific chunk of aluminum alloy is forged or cast, either is used in creating alloys with different levels of strength, weight and hardness (AKA Rockwell rating). Typically, a piece of aluminum with a Rockwell over 50 is forged. You have not been provided that info here. Curious about your statement.......

#2- CNC (computerized numerical control) is not a specific machine, it's a fully-automated machining PROCESS, utilizing DOS, CAD or even Windows- based programs to manufacture like parts consistently. You can slave an old Bridgeport to CNC control, and these machines can cut any kind of metal, just need the right cutting tool and speed.

But hey, maybe that was just a grammatical or sentence structuring error. I'll give you a mulligan on that one.... LoL

So great to have you back:D

·
Banned
5,120 Posts
"PS> The reel (body) is NOT FORGED either.
They are produced on a CNC machine."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
HJ those 2 sentences don't even belong together.

#1- There is literally NO WAY for you to visually determine whether a specific chunk of aluminum alloy is forged or cast, either is used in creating alloys with different levels of strength, weight and hardness (AKA Rockwell rating). Typically, a piece of aluminum with a Rockwell over 50 is forged. You have not been provided that info here. Curious about your statement.......
Very easy to determine the difference from telltale signs on the surface
of the item, before its final finishing.
Other way, is the complexity of its shape.

Casting - is pouring liquid/molten metal into a mold.

Forging - is apply PRESSURE to metal to create a shape,
that could be done with open or closed die stamping, cold/hot rolling
and other techniques.

I don't think there has ever been a single fishing reel FORGED
in the past 100 years or so.
Maybe the first couple made in the early 1800's by craftsmen
,but nobody produces fishing reels bodies/frames by forging.
Cheap reels are cast.

Understanding the difference between the two techniques,
tells you what is possible in a finished product.

#2- CNC (computerized numerical control) is not a specific machine, it's a fully-automated machining PROCESS, utilizing DOS, CAD or even Windows- based programs to manufacture like parts consistently. You can slave an old Bridgeport to CNC control, and these machines can cut any kind of metal, just need the right cutting tool and speed.
Agreed, was using layman's terms.
CNC in this case was a multi head LATHE.

PS> years ago, for a couple of years,
I was International Operations Manager
for a scaffolding company they produced Aluminum scaffolds
and staging/decks. :)

·
Banned
5,120 Posts
Let me start of by saying that if i believed i was wrong in publishing this post i would admit it.
And yes I am invested in to these reels but not to the heavy extent as to put my name on the line for the brand.
Let me start off by pointing out,
YOU ARE putting your name on the line for this brand.
You are making claims about its manufacture and its associated quality.

What you are actually unwilling to do,
is put your money behind your above claims.
Which is typical
"gotta love the internet"

Would also like to point out,
everything you state is an ASSUMPTION on your part.

You got the product, post a picture of the
"Made is Japan" stamp, sticker, etc.
Made is Japan signifies quality today,
nobody leaves that selling point off a product,
besides being a requirement in many countries as well.

With that being said see attached photos of a small factory in Okayama, Japan - Ocean Freaks Japan
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Cloud Land vehicle
The "reel factory" in the first picture is about 1200 sq feet in size.
NO WAY you are getting all the machinery you need to prep raw material,
produce and assemble reels. NEVER HAPPEN.
The other tell tale sign there is no manufacturing occurring in this building,
is the lack of exhaust ports on the roof.

Would also like to point out that building in picture #1
clearly does not exist in picture #2 you show as the factory grounds.

Motor vehicle Land lot Plant Urban design Grass

Interesting.
Yet you make snide comments to others about folex and sneakers
and you clearly can't spot problems with proof you offer.
Should probably have an expert check your watch.

Hey, can we bet $20 since you are not sure enough
to back your position with hundreds of dollars.
You can afford a $20 loss.

What you say?
Can you swing the $20 bet?

Let me know,
then I will finish up.

Reactions: iyaman

·
Banned
5,120 Posts
Now that I think about it,
probably partially or fully incorrect on my
no reel being forged in past 100 years.
I'm sure some reels had side plates stamped,
which would be considered forging.
Combined with stamped or drawn cross frame or tube,
then the reel could be considered forged.
Never looked at older reels from the viewpoint,
but probably plenty of examples.

In modern manufacturing,
if you are trying to produce a "quality" product,
then CNC/Lathe is the likely choice.
"Cheap" will be cast.
Internal parts for both types of reels can be forged
through stamping.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Let me start off by pointing out,
YOU ARE putting your name on the line for this brand.
You are making claims about its manufacture and its associated quality.

What you are actually unwilling to do,
is put your money behind your above claims.
Which is typical
"gotta love the internet"

Would also like to point out,
everything you state is an ASSUMPTION on your part.

You got the product, post a picture of the
"Made is Japan" stamp, sticker, etc.
Made is Japan signifies quality today,
nobody leaves that selling point off a product,
besides being a requirement in many countries as well.

The "reel factory" in the first picture is about 1200 sq feet in size.
NO WAY you are getting all the machinery you need to prep raw material,
produce and assemble reels. NEVER HAPPEN.
The other tell tale sign there is no manufacturing occurring in this building,
is the lack of exhaust ports on the roof.

Would also like to point out that building in picture #1
clearly does not exist in picture #2 you show as the factory grounds.

Interesting.
Yet you make snide comments to others about folex and sneakers
and you clearly can't spot problems with proof you offer.
Should probably have an expert check your watch.

Hey, can we bet $20 since you are not sure enough
to back your position with hundreds of dollars.
You can afford a $20 loss.

What you say?
Can you swing the $20 bet?

Let me know,
then I will finish up.
Wow... you guys are really something...
Not matter what I post I'm getting roasted... really just tried to introduce a a new product.. ill defiantly get my facts in order next time around...
Yes, you are correct I understood wrong , assembly done in Japan 100% some parts such as CNC cuts are done in Germany and other processes are done in china from what i understand and not an expert, Chemical bathing/anodising procedures are done in China, also from what i understand this is where the Thai company (china factory) got there molds to replicate these reels.
In addition i was told that Thai company has zero quality control, poor assembly line in china, no guarantee no warranty and cheap labor for production which results in a low value product.

On the other hand ocean freaks uses Japanese parts, all there parts are CNC finishing, assembled in the Japanese factory after quality control, japan detailing and labor cost service and more reflect in pricing of course.

I understand you really want to make some money, ill be happy to send you 20$ send you me your PayPal account ill be happy to invite you for a big mac..

Never the less i don't know what difference all this makes? really ?
Dose it matter if parts come from multiple locations around the world?
I mean if the company uses the best metals and machinery in a high reputable factory using there own designs and then have them assembled in another country, is that a problem?
I mean if a Ferrari has components made in a different location is it not an Italian car? cuz not every part in a Ferrari comes from Italy these days...

OFFL replied to me with message that they are publishing an English article about there manufacturing procedures where it will all be clearer then.

Ill be happy to share the article when released.

As for the factory pics, the 1200 SQM is the assembly line and thats all it is.

As for the Singaporean guy on you tube.. I viewed a few of his videos, he is deliberately provoking world known brans such as Shimano, JM, and others just to get views and comments.

bottom line for me is, I have this reel i fished this reel, and its a very good reel.
Its light strong gets the job done and in my opinion is it is 100% Japanese.

Have a great day.

Dan

·
-- Tackle Ho --
2,784 Posts
CaptCha are made in China as per hungry jack stated! They might be assembled in Japan but definitely not made in Japan. You can smoke whatever you are smoking but fact is fact and it cannot be change, you either accept it as it is and you can say hey it's a great reel that is made in China. Regarding the material being higher quality that is bullshit as well, as the Captcha probably have the side remove, you see there are like 6 screws on the side. Get your source right before you go and post on a public forum and get roasted.

I am good friend of the owner of Gmax, this company has started quite a long time ago, the keep this short, Gmax is the same as Captcha, the OEM in China just supply the exact same reel to Captcha, the only different is may be the gear angle, other than that, everything else is the same. The good thing about Gmax is that the color is much better than Captcha.

At the end of the day, it doesnt really matter because I could've careless, all I know is I paid $175 for Captcha and you paid $849. My reel will do the same job as your, I just paid a little less.

Have a great day and just keep driking the coolaid! (if you know what I mean)

·
3,720 Posts
Wow Ancient Mariner re-visited. Hi Jack. How you been?
And Hello Topper! Nice to hear from you also.
When will these guys learn? The Chinese thing has been so overdone :)
No matter how well you disguise it, Internet sleuths will root out the truth.
Is there really anything that ISN’T made in China anymore ?

·
Banned
5,120 Posts
I understand you really want to make some money,
ill be happy to send you 20$ send you me your PayPal account

ill be happy to invite you for a big mac..
Money is just the way the keeping score.
Thanks for the $20 and win.

I am going to donate it to an upcoming group charter
on this site. Let them add it to the raffle or pool prize.

You can send the $20 directly to the chartermaster for the trip.
Put in the note section - donation from HJ
It is for this trip

Send to:
PayPal using "Sending to a friend " option (so they don't charge me fee )
[email protected]

As for the "proof"
It was right there all along,
right on the companies website.
Usually a bit more informative than
twitter, instagram and facebook.

"Quality control is very important in the overseas production of parts. "

ps> will respond to your other comments after we get
the $20 taken care of.

pps> will you be the first person to pay off a lost internet bet to me
on this site, or be like all the others? :unsure:

ppps> thanks for the offer of the big mac. will pass, but offer
you the same, as I am actually a partner in a franchise.

·
Banned
5,120 Posts
Wow Ancient Mariner re-visited. Hi Jack. How you been?

Is there really anything that ISN’T made in China anymore ?
In the penalty box for a month for a hard check
the referee felt and busy with business :)

Fortunately the ocean is a bit less crowded this year,
many of the corona clowns from last year gave up fishing
after a season.

Well, Chinese who get a tourist visa to visit the US
and come to America pregnant in their 9th month,
and give birth to a Chinese baby while in the US,
that baby is actually American citizen, not Chinese.
#Made in America
Birth Tourism look it up.

·
Banned
5,120 Posts
If one looks at the pic below,
you will see "Asian Characters" printed on the crates
holding the reel parts.

While the image does not allow the name to be properly
read, the characters used are clearly CHINESE.
Although the Japanese do use chinese characters in their
written language, they also use two other alphabets called Hiragana and Katakana.
It is exceedingly rare for there to be no hiragana/katakana incorporated
into a name or sentence and only chinese characters used in Japanese written language.

So, unless this factory is using branded plastic crates from China,
that were imported into Japan for some strange reason, plenty of
plastic crates in Japan.
Despite the shirts being worn and sign hung in the background,
these pictures were probably taken in China.
Like all the CNC and parts production pictures you posted that were
supposedly from the Japanese factory. Now that its been established parts
were produced in China, those are pictures taken in China.

PS> not sure why occasional PART TIME reel assemblers in Japan
would necessarily do a better job of assembling reels
compared to FULL TIME reel assembler in China with many years of experience.
Any buyer can pay for additional QC from their OEM to assure a very low defect rate.
Some of the best reels on the market are assembled in Malaysia, and not Japan either.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts