Ocea jigger 1000 or Trinidad 10A

Discussion in 'Reels' started by lingcodkiller, Jul 16, 2020.

1. lingcodkiller

lingcodkiller Member

New to the jigging world. Was looking at the Trinidad 10A for a reel ,but they have been discontinued what Ocea jigger compares in size?? Would it be the Ocea jigger 1000 or ??

2. Tidetraveller

Tidetraveller Senior Member

Sounds about right. The OJ1500 is the same size as the 12a.

3. LowGear

LowGear Member

I own both the older OJ 1000p and 1500p, they are physically the same size frame just the arbor on the 1000p is an 80% arbor. They are the same size as the gold Trinidad 12, I have put them all next to one another. Not sure with the newer OJ’s if the 1000 and 1500 or 12a and 10a have different frame sizes or if they are the same and the arbors are different.

I would ask to see if anyone owns both reels and can post pictures. Otherwise I feel there is a lot of misinformation in regards to actually comparing OJs and Trinidads new and old with people just repeating what others have said.

Not saying that is being done here, but on many forums I see people saying the 1000p and 1500p are different frame sizes and that simply isn’t true.

4. redgarvey

redgarvey Member

In the past Shimano USA would not work on Ocea Jiggers considered them JDM only.

Don't know if that has changed for the present but might be something to consider for parts or service.

5. LowGear

LowGear Member

If everyone here has the capability of tying knots and rigging, a reel is plug and play more or less. Just need grease, oil , and a drag kit from Smoothdrag. Stick cardboard and a towel down on your coffee table and throw on your favorite tv show. Most of the parts are Trinidad and the few others that aren’t could be ordered from Asia fairly simply.

Shimano USA is now repairing OJ’s so all the above is moot in regards to difficulty getting factory service if you don’t have time and want to go that route.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
  6. redgarvey

redgarvey Member

Dude you are assuming a lot

tugasangler and jon holsenbeck like this.
  7. LowGear

LowGear Member

This is very true, self reliance is dead.

I would be interested to hear if the new Trinis and OJs do have a frame size difference between the 10a -12a , 1000-1500s

tugasangler likes this.
  8. LowGear

LowGear Member

I just had a New Trini 10a in my hands and I can say 100% that it is smaller than the older OJ 1000p/1500p . Big difference to be honest. Now I do not know if that applies to the post 11 or 17 OJ’s.

9. LowGear

LowGear Member

Another update, had the New OJ 1500Oh and hg in my hand today and it’s the same frame size as the Trini 10a so the new 1000HG and the Trini 10A are the same size arbor .

The new OJ 1000hg/ 1500hgpgs are smaller in total size than the Gold trini 12/ OK 1000p / 1500p

10. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

Ocea conquest? 300 or 400 levelwind though

11. LowGear

LowGear Member

What is the OC 300/400 question?
    If it is in regards to size , the 300 is ballpark to the Lexa 300 or the new 1500 OJ ‘s . Spied them in the same reel display case . Solid looking reels the OC

12. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

Ahh 300=1500? Figured they would be smaller

13. LowGear

LowGear Member

Yes I’d say 300 equaled ballpark 1500. I even saw the 200’s Lexa , OC, and a few others. Tini Mini’s.

Everything is smaller across the board, I was pretty impressed seeing them all as I went looking. The Trini 10a, OJ’s pg/hg 1500’s, OC the whole line, Accurate 300/400 Terns, Accurate BV 300 & BV2 500N , Maxel 20.

14. LowGear

LowGear Member

I hit multiple bait shops over the last few days...

The shop that had the OJ’s was out of Trini’s, when I brought up in conversation the OJ’s in the case he didn’t know anything about them. Poor bastard doesn’t know he is sitting on one of the best reel models ever made. He should be pushing them like crack.