360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother in law, myself and one other friend (along with our better halves) are starting to look into booking our summer trip in the OBX.

I will be bringing my boat down with us. 2005 23' Hydra Sports Bay Bolt, she has been up to 30 miles offshore (weather being key factor!), here in the NE. I would like to find a captain that is willing to fish on my boat for a day or two to share some tips and methods.

I have all the gear needed from ultra light inshore to 80# trolling gear. I would like to get into some of the AJ's and other wreck fishing they do down there. We will be there for at least 8 days, and I would like to make the most of it on the water.

Anybody fish down there with a captain they would recommend?

Gonna be a good year...........just booked two days with Capt. Dean on the Double D for april. Going on a 4 day long range in San Diego in June. And OBX in August!!

·
490 Posts
captian ben shepherd. he is the captain for the Tat Tuna a 31 cape horn.
he is based out of virginia beach but he runs out of OI and HI when the weather is permitting.

in the summer most of the good captians will be running their own boats and are probably getting booked up as i type. captians at the top of my list are Andy (goodtimes sportfishing) jim bowman (marlin mania). Patrick canton on the little clam is also a sure bet for bottom fish and jigging but i have not personally fished with him.

·
Spinal Rods
777 Posts
I don't know any captains down there that will run your boat for the day. I'm sure someone will but do not know them. We've taken our boat down there already and used local charts to find our spots. Some of the area we found just by running to spots on the map. Some spots where on fire with AJ, shark, bass, groups, etc. Others had nothing on them. But to me thats what fishing is all about.
So if you ccan't find anyone, i suggest getting some charts and study, and looks at archive reports on sites and see when and where they fish. Study the inlet and watch your weather. We went with the fleet out the inlet to help learn it. That is the biggest obsticle there. Be careful and have fun.

·
46 Posts
Hey man, you don't need to pay a capt'n to find AJ's in NC.

Hit any one of the AR's down there in the summer and you will find AJ's amoung other species that will surely bend your rod. Many of the good AR's are within 8 mi of shore. Off Hatterass you can also hit the Rock Pile, 230 and 280 Rocks. Mahi and Bonito can be found trolling within 1 mi of the beach in the summer when the blue water comes in much further. Smoker Kings are plentiful in July around the temp breaks. BIG Cobia can be found around the AR's and within 100 yds of the beach patrolling in schools. I landed a nice Cob jigging with a bucktail last year while another 60+lb cob hung out off the stern staring at us, but he wouldn't bite. Additionally, Big African Pomps, Baracuda and MONSTER sharks all hang out at the reefs. Sailfish can be found with regularity in July in 50 - 80 ft of water. It's just an awesome fishery. There are only resident tuna down there in the summer and they are few and far between, so you might get lucky while trolling for Mahi. There are some Wahoo around too.

Here's a map w/coordinates and some other info to get you started.

NCDMF Artificial Reefs

Fishing Hatteras

·
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow! Thanks for the tips guys.

It seems like there is quite a bit to catch down there. I knew they had a wide variety fishery, but didnt realize it was this crazy. Looks like I need to do some research.

I have heard stories from friends who have run those inlets in the winter while GBFT fishing. Are they as bad during the summer? Or is it more or less just timing the tides/wind? Or are they rippin' no matter what?

I plan on watching/following some locals to learn how to manage the inlets. I have run some rough stuff before, but in bigger boats (mostly 25-33' CC's). Not in my 23 BAY boat.........

Lets pray for good weather and some big AJ's!!

·
46 Posts
Hatterass and Oregon Inlets are notorious anytime of the year. Depending on the tides and the wind it can get nasty. Oregon Inlet is always changing so following locals is recomended and if your schedule allows try to avoid the inlets during the tide run until you know where you are going.

I usually fish out of Ocracoke which is one inlet down from Hatterass. If you have not finalized your plans I highly recomend Ocracoke, its another couple hrs south and only accessible via the Haterass ferry. I already I have my place booked for 2010, can't wait.

·
Spinal Rods
777 Posts
Last day out the HI it was glass out. I mean lake like conditions. We ran our 23 Reg cc and we had no issues at all, even coming in on the outgoing tide, but you can see how things could change. Another day was a 2-3 day with 15mph winds and it was sporty going out. You need to be careful there. THe waves will get tall and steep quickly there. I'd say on the glass day it still got 4 foot there.

Since your boat is on a trailor you have the options of running out of either inlet which is a useful tool depending on wind direction. Try to time on a running the inlets on a rising tide it can make the difference of a fun ride and white knuckle ride for those inlets. The big boats there tend to not slow down for you so you gotta get behind one and stay up with them or go to the side of the main run of boats and take your time.

·
89 Posts
Just be careful running the inlet.. A good SW or SE can make it quite interesting in a small bay boat..Range is not an issue since there can be good fishing pretty close...Take your time and be safe, remember to watch the afternoon forecast, soon nice T storms roll thrue in august, can ruin your day in a small boat...

·
1,657 Posts
remember to watch the afternoon forecast, soon nice T storms roll thrue in august, can ruin your day in a small boat...

Ken,
I was out at the 280 rocks one day and it was beautiful. Weedlines with gaffers all over them. Sweet summer days you like to dream about. I was killing them as fast as I could go.

About 10:30 or so I felt something. A little puff of wind on my face from the NW.

It went from flat calm to hanging on for dear life within 10 minutes. I seriously was unsure if we were going to make it back under the protection of the cape that day.

That morning there were spanish from the inlet all the way to the point. It was one wild Carolina day.

·
89 Posts
I love fishing the OBX, last time I fished there Travis, Jessie and Mike were catching Blackfins and Mahi on top and I was catching jumbo Sea Bass on the bottom, all on the same drift.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts