Now what do I do ?

Discussion in '360 Degrees Lounge' started by thenewkid, Jul 14, 2008.

1. thenewkid

thenewkid Senior Member

Just called the boat I sail with up here in the NE to ask about the use of spectra.... That didn't go so well. I asked what kind of restrictions they have regarding the use of spectra as a backing on the reels. I told them ill have at least 150yds of mono top shot on my trolling setup, and about 75 on my jigging. They flat out said NO! I either fish straight mono or wind up like an annorexic offensive lineman, ridin' the bench :D ( sorry my futile attempt at humor in this darkening situation) ... so what do i do ? I wanna jig because it deversivies my methods and gives me a better chance to land a tuna say if im not hookin up on the chunck or troll i could slip a jig and see if that works but .... I guess not. Where do I go from here ?:confused:

2. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Are you talking about party boats or charter boats ?
    You don't have to fish on the particular boat and most other boats allow braided lines for jigging. When they don't allow braided lines for tuna jigging, they are not friendly boats for jig fishermen anyway.

3. thenewkid

thenewkid Senior Member

Bret, Sorry its the Lady frances from the Frances Fleet, leaving from RI
    Kil, i hear ya..... what other boats do you recommend the only problem is i have already put the deposit down. (update they do not refund deposits on the three day trips guess im stuck)

4. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Bret, Sorry its the Lady frances from the Frances Fleet, leaving from RI
    Kil, i hear ya..... what other boats do you recommend the only problem is i have already put the deposit down.
    We use braided line for fluking all the time on the boat. Did you talk with one of the captains or with a lady working for the boat ? I am pretty sure you don't have any issue to use braided line on the boat.

5. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

If you end up stuck using mono, I recommend that everyone on this board send those folks an email saying: "Thanks but no thanks for the future." They won't care much about us Texans but you northeasterners will show them they might miss some future business unless they join us in the 21'st Century. Just a thought.

Russ

6. thenewkid

thenewkid Senior Member

Kil, I talked to the lady at the desk. I wish I could talk to Capt Frank (the owner for those of you that arent familiar with this operation) I figure his answer is the one that will make or break.

UR, That's a hell of an idea.... maybe that may persuade them if they choose to stay with mono. But hopefully it wont come to that.

7. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Kil, I talked to the lady at the desk. I wish I could talk to Capt Frank (the owner for those of you that arent familiar with this operation) I figure his answer is the one that will make or break.

Then, disregard her saying and go on the boat with braided lines for jigging. :) Frank doesn't much involve in the daily operation anymore. Capt Mike should run the tuna trips and I suspect he uses braided lines for jigging. :) The other good tuna boats in NE are the Helen H and the Yankee Capts both allow braided line for tuna jigging.

8. thenewkid

thenewkid Senior Member

Kil, thanks for your input. I guess ill just go then. You are correct in that mike does run the tuna trips along with usually don and paul. When you jig on party boats for tuna, how do you set up your reels, (if its any help I will be using Gusa wahoo jr 7' composite spiral wrapped with tn-50) what kind and size braid do you recommend for this set up and how much braid vs a mono or flouro top shot.

9. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i like 80lb braid.....10-15 ft topshot. PE line helps when jigging

10. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

you can just put 100yds or so of the PE line on top since it's generally a lot more expensive.....unless you plan on jigging at over 300' deep

11. TeamOso

TeamOso Senior Member

just use the braid, the deckhands wont tell u Sh!t just know u get in a tangle all the spectra will get deep sixed first

12. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

I would go with the braid and bring a spool of mono for back up, especially on a 3 day trip. If yours is getting cut first in a tangle, then you might want to bring some extra braid to splice in also?

13. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

As Bret said I use 80 lbs braided line with 100 meter of PE8.
    I started with about 15 ft leader line and retie it again when it get 8' - 10',

14. RZTUNA

RZTUNA Junior member

Guys, Has anyone fished on either the Voyager, Francis Fleet or the Viking? I have heard mixed things about the Viking, unfortunately more bad than good. I just want to have more options in case I can't get on Helen-h or the Big Jamaica.

15. thenewkid

thenewkid Senior Member

Kil Song says the Helen-H is a good boat so if he says it is than it must be the gods honest truth:D As for me, iv'e fished the Frances fleet and have been more than happy with them. Either way you can't go wrong.

16. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i have fished the viking, last year on a 4 day trip. the trip overall was very bad, very few tuna caught.

they were fine with braid though, but prefer that you use big heavy rigs.

17. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Guys, Has anyone fished on either the Voyager, Francis Fleet or the Viking? I have heard mixed things about the Viking, unfortunately more bad than good. I just want to have more options in case I can't get on Helen-h or the Big Jamaica.
    All good boats, the differences are locations. Francis out of Pt Judith, RI and the Viking out of Montauk, NY tend to fish same areas like Dips or Atlantis Canyon while the Voyager out of Point Pleasant, NJ fish southern Canyons like Hudson, Toms or Wilmington.

18. RZTUNA

RZTUNA Junior member

All good boats, the differences are locations. Francis out of Pt Judith, RI and the Viking out of Montauk, NY tend to fish same areas like Dips or Atlantis Canyon while the Voyager out of Point Pleasant, NJ fish southern Canyons like Hudson, Toms or Wilmington.
    Kil, is any one location better than the other?

19. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

Depends on where the fish are...