Not much action--Hannibal Bank report March 16-19

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by Bellyups, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

I just came back from Panama. I was on a 4 day trip in hunt for black marlin and cow tuna. Unfortunately, we did plenty of fishing but not much catching:( . I have had a desire to go to Hannibal Bank for the last 3 years. I finally accomplished it this year and Hannibal Bank was dead. We did not have one hit in 4 days fishing the bank. I saw a cool collection of manta rays, but otherwise, the bank just had dophin (flipper type), bonita, and rainbow runners. What a bummer. The captain has been fishing there for 18 years, so he definitely knew what he was doing. The fish just didn't cooperate.

We were in a Bertam 31, so the set up was not ideal for inshore fishing. We still fished near shore each day. We managed some nice cuberas to about 50 pounds and a couple large AJs to about 70pounds. I was surprised to see a cubera take such a large bait. The cuberas were caught on live bonita!! We also caught a roosterfish and blue trevally.

The lodge, captain, and food was great. The snorkeling, even just in front of the lodge, was awesome. It was a true adventure as we saw plenty of monkeys (Howling and whiteface), parrots, iguanas, sea turtles, white spotted rays, manta rays, coral, fish, eels, crocodiles, coral, and stars. We stayed on coiba island itself Coiba Adventure - Welcome. We were served a 3 course dinner daily on the beach with our fresh catch.

I wish all those going in the following weeks the best of luck!!! The area definitely is a phenominal place!!:)

There are more fish pics which I will post when I receive them from others that were on the trip.

Attached Files:

2. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Sorry the fish weren't cooperative on your trip. Look at the bright side. Just getting out of town and enjoying all the wildlife, being on the water in such a beautiful surrounding is a special treat. Some people never get to experience a trip to Paradise. It's only a dream. Looking forward to some more pictures.

3. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Sorry the fish weren't cooperative on your trip. Look at the bright side. Just getting out of town and enjoying all the wildlife, being on the water in such a beautiful surrounding is a special treat. Some people never get to experience a trip to Paradise. It's only a dream. Looking forward to some more pictures.

Yes, this was a real adventure and pleasure. The company, service, and location was so great that I really have no complaints.

4. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Sorry about your trip Bellyups. I wish you luck on your next adventure.

5. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

sorry to hear that you didn't get your marlin or a big tuna...we have some members of this site that are in northern panama as i type. maybe they will have better fishing results than your trip. keep the photo's coming. they are great and have me excited about my trip at the end of april....rick

by the way did you have any travel issues or problems with tackle or customs?

6. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Hey Scott.. glad you had a good time.. Sorry the big game didnt cooperate..
    Nice pics.... Looking forward to more pics... They are getting me fired up for april as well.

7. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

Scott,
    Sorry that you didn't get 'em, but it sounds like it was a fun trip nonetheless.
    Did you get to try out your new rod?

8. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Ric and Bret, I had no problems with customs and tackle. We were greated at the PC airport by a welcoming group that took care of all the luggage and walked us to a hospitality room. I carried my lined reels onto the planes with no issue. Anything with a hook was packed in my check in baggage. I flew continental.

Richard, the new rod saw very limitted action. It throws poppers very well and has a ton of power. It does its job very well.

9. Sorry, to hear that bellyups.....I know they had the fish for awhile. There just over the boarder from us. I guess that's why they call it fishing. We still have it pretty good but it definitely slowed last week.

10. feeder

feeder Senior Member

That's a bummer to hear you didn't catch the big ones, but at least you got to go and experience something new in what's essentially paradise. Hopefully better luck next time around.

That's a nice shot of that parrot flying overhead. I would just be worried he'd drop a "payload" on me and the camera though.

11. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

scott nice aj and cubera. excellent photos. glad you had a good time. there will always be next time for the big ones..... may 30-31......tomeny......hmmm......not cow but pigs. you game?

12. BFTMASTER

BFTMASTER Senior Member

The fish are probably looking for the Gulf Stream to feed for the summer.

13. lucas_shane

lucas_shane Member

sorry to hear the fishing was slow for you, but you sure got to see a pretty part of the world. awesome pictures good luck next time

14. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

too bad no cows or marlin but as you said thats fishing. nice pictures though im sure it was a cool place to visit regardless.

howd those cubera taste?

15. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

too bad no cows or marlin but as you said thats fishing. nice pictures though im sure it was a cool place to visit regardless.

howd those cubera taste?

They taste great!! I threw back my large one. The captain was great and very conservation minded. We kept only a fish or 2 a day.

We caught some YFT, but they were about 30 pounders.

As stated, I had a great time and we did catch fish. Hannibal Bank, however, had no action. I hope the bank is on fire for those who left for Panama today!

All the wildlife in the picture was within a 10 minute walk from the lodge. I saw a sea turtle off the beach in front of the lodge along with a huge white spotted ray that swam 4 feet below me. I thought of Steve Erwin for a second and gave the ray some room!

16. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

We need a little more....
    How was the night life...any Panamanian hotties?

Not trying to coax out a story from Mr. Bill, but......

Attached Files:

• UWS.jpg
      UWS.jpg
      File size:
      151.3 KB
      Views:
  17. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

They taste great!! I threw back my large one. The captain was great and very conservation minded. We kept only a fish or 2 a day.

We caught some YFT, but they were about 30 pounders.

As stated, I had a great time and we did catch fish. Hannibal Bank, however, had no action. I hope the bank is on fire for those who left for Panama today!

All the wildlife in the picture was within a 10 minute walk from the lodge. I saw a sea turtle off the beach in front of the lodge along with a huge white spotted ray that swam 4 feet below me. I thought of Steve Erwin for a second and gave the ray some room!

what was the water temp where you were snorkeling? pretty clear water? did you have any problems with thief monkeys like mrbill did in CR?

18. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

I am guessing the water temp was in the low 80s. It was a very comfortable/perfect temperature for snorkeling. The water was clear in protected areas and slightly murky in some areas where the water was breaking. You could always see the fish.

What happened to Mr. Bill?

19. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

if i remember correctly he said monkeys came onto their balcony and stole stuff at night, lol.

20. Hardon 22'

Hardon 22' Member

We just returned from panama, fished for 6 days and almost an identical report....... Had a fantastic time with a great Captain, John Maynard @ Hooked on Panama Lodge, To fish for 6 days straight, and still come home with smiles on our faces, and some great times with good friends, with marginal to poor fishing at times, John did an outstanding job! I would rather be in Panama fishing then to be at home working! I guess that's why they call it fishing not catching.... We will be back, looking at some dates in May, really want a COW!!!!