Not all diamond jigs ar equal.

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by ksong, Dec 17, 2008.

1. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

When I buy diamond jgis from different sources, I realized there are many different shapes of diamond jigs. I can not tell which shape of diamond jigs work better as I didn't pay much attention to it in the past.

One style jig which caught my eyes is hammered diamond jig with flat shape as you see in the picture below. Guys who use them told me they are great for any fish. But I got to try it myself. I am going to test it for seabass first, then tuna.

different shapes of diamond jigs
    [​IMG]

I call it Flat hammered diamond jig.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

ive definitely seen and maybe used the flatter ones before. like you said - i didnt really pay much attention to what worked better.

if i still have some ill be sure to pay attention this time.

are the ones you sell the normal ones or the 'flat' ones?

3. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

ive definitely seen and maybe used the flatter ones before. like you said - i didnt really pay much attention to what worked better.

if i still have some ill be sure to pay attention this time.

are the ones you sell the normal ones or the 'flat' ones?
    I have both. I let you know soon whether it works better or not. :)

4. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

I have both. I let you know soon whether it works better or not. :)

i wish i could say that i will know sooner since i'd use them for seabass...but it looks like the weather will be terrible this weekend in NJ/cape cod :(

5. Drifter

Drifter Senior Member

Ksong,

I’ve been using only flat hammered diamond jigs for my last three offshore trips and caught various Snapper species, AJ, Grouper, Cobia, Jack Cravelles, and of course Cuda and Shark. I’ve experimented using trailing Owner Super Mutu hooks verses stinger hooks after I read a magazine article on jigging with circle hooks. I’m no expert but my experience (based on approximately 75 fish) using the flat hammered jigs with offset circle hooks
    1. Has resulted on the same number of hits but better set hooks resulting in more fish in the boat.
    2. The flat Hammered jig seems to work on numerous species
    I like it! :D

Louis

6. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

oh i read louis' post wrong :)

7. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Ksong,

I’ve been using only flat hammered diamond jigs for my last three offshore trips and caught various Snapper species, AJ, Grouper, Cobia, Jack Cravelles, and of course Cuda and Shark. I’ve experimented using trailing Owner Super Mutu hooks verses stinger hooks after I read a magazine article on jigging with circle hooks. I’m no expert but my experience (based on approximately 75 fish) using the flat hammered jigs with offset circle hooks
    1. Has resulted on the same number of hits but better set hooks resulting in more fish in the boat.
    2. The flat Hammered jig seems to work on numerous species
    I like it! :D

Louis
    Frankly speaking, a well known grouper fisherman in Florida ordered only flat hammered diamond jigs. That is why I want to try them myself. :)
    The Canyon Runner crew started to use circle hooks for tuna when they intended to release bluefin, but they are very impressed with the result.
    I tried circle hooks for tuna jigging this year and to my surprise it worked !
    But still, I favor regular hooks.

I am going to try new style hooks for tuna soon, probably on Panama trip in early Jan if tuna are around.

[​IMG]

8. Drifter

Drifter Senior Member

Ksong,

I've only used the chrome hammered jigs but I noticed on the last Big E trip you were on you always seemed to have a gold hammered jig. Is there reasons why you favor one over the other?

Louis

9. ToneyC

ToneyC Senior Member

I'm going to try these jigs I picked up. They remind very much of a flat diamond jig. They come in 4.5 and 7 oz.

[​IMG]

10. ToneyC

ToneyC Senior Member

Kil,

I picked up a couple of these from Jigs, Rigs and Stuff.... I'm going to try these jigs if I ever get on another trip soon. The jigs are a flat with a hammered pattern on the side. They come in 4.5 and 7oz.

[​IMG]

11. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

toney - i like those jigs too. i've caught a fair amount on them - though i dont use them as much as hammered diamond jigs.

i've also cast those lures and they work well.

12. ToneyC

ToneyC Senior Member

Hey Bret,

What kind of species have nailed these? They are made for tuna but I was going to drop one to the bottom to see what happens.

So the hammered diamonds out preform these huh?

13. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i dont know if they outperform - i havent used these nearly as much. whenever i dont know what jig to use - hammered diamond jig is what i default to.

i've caught tuna (nothing huge, one small yellow and blackfin) on them. bluefish, false albacore, bonito, etc will all hit them. then again bluefish hit anything :)

the lighter weights would be good for casting to mahi i think, but i havent tried. i normally use crippled herrings for that.

i think the list of fish ive caught on a hammered diamond jig is:

- snapper (dog, mangrove, red, lane, vermillion)
    - bluefish
    - grouper (scamp, gag)
    - tuna (yellowfin, blackfin, longfin)
    - dogfish (haha)
    - skipjack
    - jacks (amberjack, bar, almaco, crevalle)
    - barracuda
    - kingfish
    - false albacore
    - bonito
    - mackerel
    - herring
    - fluke
    - skate/sea robin (haha)
    - seabass
    - porgy

there may be more but this is all i can think of right now. not bad though....it catches everything :)

14. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Kil,

I picked up a couple of these from Jigs, Rigs and Stuff.... I'm going to try these jigs if I ever get on another trip soon. The jigs are a flat with a hammered pattern on the side. They come in 4.5 and 7oz.

[​IMG]
    I tested the jigs long time ago. :)
    I bought similar jigs from Denmark at local fishihng show and they were great. So I was looking for similar jigs and I noticed jignrigsandstuff sold them and I ordered them. But strangely I didn't have much success with them.
    Maybe I didn't test them long enough. Braid makes similar jig called Slammer shown below. 7 oz Glow Mackerel jigs are pretty popular among tuna jig fishermen here.
    I found a similar jigs from Norway and I am going to carry them. The quality is excellent and looks great, but I haven't tested them myself yet. I will test them for tuna soon.

[​IMG]

15. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

where can i get flat hammered diamond jigs?

16. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

17. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Here are other non-hammered diamond jigs I'd like to test before selling.
    The tubed diamond jigs look great. You can have any color like glow, red, pink, blue, yellow or white.

I found the bottom jig when I went to Kodiak Island, AK last summer.
    It looks great too.

[​IMG]

18. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

Lots to read in auction info, but fine print has some details..........so I copied and pasted.

"Charter boats like the Canyon Runner use our jigs. Party boats like the Brooklyn VI and the Blue Seas are big users as well - not to mention the North Shore Charter captains. How about the famed jig fisherman KILSONG? He uses my hammered diamond jigs - and the list goes on. Just because it has a rough finish does not make it an original "

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:D ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Point was made by Bret a few days ago that some suppliers offer
    HD. tuna grade rigging.....;) This one does.

19. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

Here are other non-hammered diamond jigs I'd like to test before selling.
    The tubed diamond jigs look great. You can have any color like glow, red, pink, blue, yellow or white.

I found the bottom jig when I went to Kodiak Island, AK last summer.
    It looks great too.

[​IMG]

can you buy the tube to put over a regular diamond jig? it'd be interesting to jig with a non-tubed jig then put a tube on to see which worked better on that day.

20. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

can you buy the tube to put over a regular diamond jig? it'd be interesting to jig with a non-tubed jig then put a tube on to see which worked better on that day.
    Yes, you can. The guy who gave me the tubed jig showed me to put diamond jig into big squid teaser and it look great too.

21. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

so you don't having any flat diamond jigs for sale Kil? :) I'll need to have some for myself on the island. I sadly wont be stopping by your shop anymore after this coming week :( :p You come visit and explore the fishing off St. Kitts with me next year :D