360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a trophy fish for sure.

On Sat. Sept 5th my customer, Justin Jarmolowicz of Wells Maine, boated this trophy wolfish while fishing with me aboard my boat the Lady Diane. The wolf, which measured 40" and weighed 22 lbs, hammered a cod jig in deep water way east of Stellwagen Bank. To date this is the biggest wolf we have taken on the boat.

Ground fishing right now is the best it has been all year. Plenty of haddock, slammer pollack, and cod to 35lbs are covering the bottom east of the bank. With the cool weather coming it should be a great finish to a fantastic season.

Tight lines,

·
1,095 Posts
Saaweeet! How muchofa fight do they put up? And what tackle is used? Whoever landed that thing must be happy!!

·
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They make excellent table fare. When alive they only eat scallops, crabs and lobsters and many people consider them poor mans lobster as far as their taste.

They twist and turn and pull pretty hard, especially when they are this size. but the real fun begins when they hit the deck. You have to dispatch them pretty quick or they will clamp down on anything they can grab and wont let go until they are dead.

I use Shimano Tallus XXH 60-80 sticks with Penn 113Hs loaded with 130 lb
JB HC and a 50' Momoi mono leader to a 5 ft 130lb bite leader. At this time of year we dont fool around with them, we put them in the box for our freezer.

Tight Lines,

·
1,541 Posts
wolfies are good eatin. really pure white meat. usually have it put it in its own "playground" once it gets into the boat and it doesnt play well with cod or other ground fish. If you put them together, dont expect whole fish to still be in the box.

·
66 Posts
Yep, watch your fingers :D Heard from another fisherman at camp that one took the heel of his boot off. I've caught several that has just clamped down on rubber jigs and refused to let go even after they are in the boat.

·
5,457 Posts
When alive they only eat scallops, crabs and lobsters and many people consider them poor mans lobster as far as their taste.

What do the eat when there Dead? :D :D

d-a

1 - 12 of 12 Posts