360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Keen angler from cold Norway here.
Going to Tanzania this march to jig and popp for mainly Dogtooth tuna and GT.

First I will tell you what size fish we will be targeting and under what conditions, and then I have some questions about a few rods for this trip.

The jigging will be done at 50-120 meters depth, normally with jigs from 150-300 gram.
We have chances of encountering dogtooth up to 220 lbs, and GT on 100 lbs is not unnormal.

I have a Stella 10000FA and a 20000 FA.
I think I will go for 105lbs (0,46mm) Power pro on the 20000 and use that on the jig rod, and put 85 lbs (0,41mm) on the 10000 for GT.

I will go for Mono Shock leader 250 lbs for the jigging and little less for the jigging.

Will use Mustad 7/0 assist hooks for the jigs, and Owner ST-66 treble 5/0 for the poppers, 3/0 for the stickbaits.

Owner 300# swivels and Wolverine splitrings.
Jigs we will purchase on the boat, the brand is Sure Catch.

So the question, what 2 rods should I go for.
For me the finsih and looks of a rod does not matter, it is only the fishing qualities of a rod that is important for me. So I dont want to pay extra money just for bling.

I have searched the forums, read rewiews and looked at prices for a week now :)
I read that the best guides in Australia have Shimano T-Curve Deep Jig 400 rods on their boat for customers to use. These are very affordable rods go for 300-330 US, but will this rod to the job for me?
I am willing to pay more for a rod, if the rod will make my jigging more efficient and make it more likely that I will get the fish to the boat.
If a 500 dollar rod will make my fishing a lot better than the T-Curve I will go for the expensive one instead.

For the popper fishing I have not found a quality rod that looks as affordable as the T-Curve for the jig part.
I found a good deal on an Ocean Revolution Black Devil Tuna 200 for 335 US, but it says cast weight 60-150 gr, I have some good poppers on 180 gr. Is this rod a good popper rod, and can it manage 180 gr poppers and fish on 50-70 kg?

Another good allround rod I have looked at is the Hots Gipang 79XH PE 6-10 for 585 US, is this rod heavy enough to tackle such fish? And a good popper rod?

I would really appreciate some help on theese rods, or if you have any other rods you think would fit for this kind of fishing.

Many wishes from Norway :)

·
1,323 Posts
While I think the 3 choices for rods you mentioned are all fine rods, it sounds like a Gipang 75XXH (if you were looking into HOT's) would be a better fit for the size fish you mentioned. Can't wait to hear of your report, good luck and have fun.

·
649 Posts
TOD,

Check out some of the articles on SEALINE - South African Angling and Boating Community in the deep jigging section; there are some recent articles on jigging Tanzania.

200lb mono is good for leader for jigging (250lb is a little overboard) and 7/0 mustad hooks are too small; i would recommend that you use Mustad Hoodlum 12/0 minimum or some of the more beefier jigging brand hooks.

I lived in Tanzania for 3 years; are you fishing around Latham Island?

For your Stella 10 000FA i would without question suggest that you buy the Shimano Blue Rose S517F from the fellow forum member 360Tuna - View Profile: Milton that is selling one for $300.00; this is about a $300.00 saving after shipping tax etc. I just received my new S517F about ten minutes ago that i purchased from SEESPOTFISH and it is awesome.

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
There are a few 360tuna members fished Tanzania and I hope they can help you.
One advice is to bring a few your favortite jigs in case 'Sure Catch' jigs turn out to be 'Not Sure Catch' jigs.

Hots Gipang 79XH is short twitching special while 75XXH is power popping special. New 77XXH is similar power to 75XXH, but a little longer.
Adrian landed a 320 lbs bluefin with 79XH last year.

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Hi Tor Ola Dehli ,

Get Carpenter rods , no bling just pure performance , right Kil ? :p

Jon .
Jon, I am still waiting for carpenter rods. I hope they arrive by April.
I'll send an e-mail to you. Some poppers are very low in stock.

·
234 Posts
Hi Kil ,

My stock is running low too , the same with you I hope some will come in April .

Jon .

Jon, I am still waiting for carpenter rods. I hope they arrive by April.
I'll send an e-mail to you. Some poppers are very low in stock.

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your answers do far :)

The Shimano Blue Rose S517F as "blaasoppie" recommended is 135-240 gr jig weight and PE 6. Can you still use jigs on 300 gr on it, and Power Pro 100 lbs? And fight heavy fish?
The prize you mentioned was very very good!!

Yes, I will bring some other jigs too. I have some Williamson Speed jigs here, but if you guys have found a jig that are just the killer for doggies and GT I would sure buy a couple :)

Thanks Kil for the descreption of the Hots rods. I actually plan to fish poppers and stickbaits on the same rod, since I dont have enough money to buy 2 rods now. Which rod would you choose for that task?

I will definately post a report from the trip here after we get back. Lets hope we are lucky with the weather.

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
If you like to use some stickbait, I recommend 79XH.
It still have enough stiff tip to work big popper.
Norway is on top of my list to visit among European countries for fishing and driving around.

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kil, if you want to come here I would be glad to help you organize your fishing.
I have fished pretty much everything here, and know people all over the country. Halibut, coalfish, cod, atlantic salmon, pike you name it.
Watch the trailer for the salmon fishing Dvd a friend and I made this summer, I am the one at the very end of the trailer.

Tor Ola
Storfangst.no

·
649 Posts
TOD,

The Blue Rose S517F is too light for 100lb braid; 50lb braid is perfect and i would not go higher than a 240g jig with that set-up. You are not going to get a lot of 100lb braid onto a Stella 10 000, somewhere around 230m (unless you use YGK Ultra which has a very small diameter) i think so you will be better off going with 50lb braid on the 10k and 80-100lb braid on your 20K with an upmarket rod from Kil.

If you are jigging all day you will want a medium set-up and a heavy set-up as it is really tiring going with 300-400g jigs all day on the heavy rod and it gives you a good rest to jig inbetween with 200g jigs on the lighter rod.

The Williamson Benthos is a good jig in Pearl, green, blue/pink and orange colors, but the abyss jigs are not as productive and are harder to work.

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was thinking on 80 lbs on the 10 000 for the jigging rod, and 100 lbs for the 20 000 on the jigrod. I will only bring two reels, that is all I have.

So it will only be one jigrod, that is why I need one who can handle big fish if a huge one would come my way.
I would love to have enough money for 2 jigrods, but for now that is not possible. :(

Nice, I just checked and had 4 pink 150 gr benthos, and 4 green 250 gr benthos, and 4 green abyss.

I am sooo looking forward to this, cant wait :)

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Gotland,
I guess you are Fredrik Cullin ;) Martin traveled with one of my groups to Andaman Island a couple of years ago, but he did not have the money this time to come with me to Tanzania.
But I am sure he will join one of my groups next year if this trip is a sucsess :)
You are more than welcome to tag along next year.

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have seen some incredible videoclips of Mogi, he was actually fishing with the same boat that we used on the Andamans.
That rod looks great, but I see it has lure weight from 300-700gr. I have worries that it will be a bit heavy and stiff? That you will get tired jigging all day long?
But if you can work jigs of 150-200 gr in a good way on that rod too, it looks very interesting.

Aaaah, too many rods to choose from, to take this decision is hard,hehehe.

·
199 Posts
Thats right my friend Im Frederic. Its alot of rods to choose from and im in the same situation as you are. You can have a look on Smith AMJ series.
Ive trawled several forums and almost only read postive things about them and the price isnt bad either.
JDMtackle

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
230g jigs work well there. check out the O.T.I. jager jig green is the color you want. all my jigged fish where caught on this jig.

Are you fishing with Jason & Mady?

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes Fathom, fishing with Jason and Mady..
It seems like they really know what they are doing down there :)

Thanks for the tip, I will definetly get some of them.
Any other inside tips?

·
21 Posts
I have the Valley Hill Mogi Special and it is a very light rod despite it being a PE10 rated rod. Its super strong as well and it can work light jigs (300g) easily.

I would also have in my tackle bag sevenseas hookers, smith nagamasas and skill L jigs if you can find. Great doggie jigs.

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have the Valley Hill Mogi Special and it is a very light rod despite it being a PE10 rated rod. Its super strong as well and it can work light jigs (300g) easily.

I would also have in my tackle bag sevenseas hookers, smith nagamasas and skill L jigs if you can find. Great doggie jigs.

What model weight and colour would you recommend for the Seven Seas Hookers?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts