Northeast Tuna Enforcement

Discussion in '360 Degrees Lounge' started by SteelingHeads, May 29, 2009.

1. SteelingHeads

SteelingHeads Senior Member

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

if this is what i think it is (authoritites busting some fisherman for selling their fish)......then i think its pretty stupid. itd be one thing if they were selling 5 fish per day and were actually commercial fisherman. but some guys selling a little fish to cover their trip? give me a break

3. SteelingHeads

The "Mary E" is a Commercial vessel. "All In" I am not sure about. The Restaurant Owners and Chefs that were fined as well should definately know better than that....

4. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

ah, didnt know abt the mary e. i wish theyd say what the volume of the fish was. if we're talking 5 fish per week then yeah they should have a permit, but if we're talking a few fish per year then i think this is all quite silly.

5. SteelingHeads

Well, I do know the investigation went on for several years, so there were probably a lot of fish involved in this. Also there were sub-legal sized fish sold as well....

6. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

yeah, youre prob right since it was a long investigation.

sub-legal tuna are real small. we caught some this past weekend that were the smallest yellowfin i've ever seen. MAYBE 1-2lbs. theyd have made a cool paperweight.

7. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Perkins Cove, Main is very beautiful place and the town is very crowded with tourists in Summer. It is common plactice local restaurants to buy fish from local fishermen, but when it involves in bluefin, it is totally different story. They got fined just buying a piece of meat, not the whole tuna.
    Be careful to bring your catches to a restaurant to eat and give some to the restaurant. It is illegal too according to their definition. :)
    The amazing thing is that this happened roughly 2 years ago and they just officially announced the fines a few weeks ago.

[​IMG]

8. SteelingHeads

yeah, youre prob right since it was a long investigation.

sub-legal tuna are real small. we caught some this past weekend that were the smallest yellowfin i've ever seen. MAYBE 1-2lbs. theyd have made a cool paperweight.

LOL, they would have been awesome in an aquarium!!!!