360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning, I’m looking to get into some billfishing this upcoming season. I live on Long Island NY so mostly white and blue marlin in the summer months. I’m fishing off of CC’s so dredges and bridge teaser are out. Everyone I speak to around here seem to just target tuna or wahoo and accidentally catch the occasional billfish, but I’ve heard there’s a great marlin fishery if you focus your efforts. I’ve been to all corners of the internet and found many tips for billfishing from around the world but was trying to get some more local knowledge. What hooks/baits/lures/programs are you running, rigging tips, things you’re looking for while you’re out there, are you bait and switching or trolling hooks? Any info would be greatly appreciated! Tight lines.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Over the past several seasons, plenty of white and blue marlin have come into the offshore waters south of Long Island in the summer. When I was a kid fifty years ago, white marlin commonly were caught at the 30 fathom line all along the South Shore. Most of these fish were killed and smoked or grilled. Overfishing and changing migrations caused them to disappear for decades. We now commonly run into marlin in the Tails or West Altantis when targeting tuna. Last summer, my son felt that there are enough marlin around to specifically target them, so we ran a day trip solely for marlin. Going to a relatively obvious spot, we trolled up a nice white marlin which we released, and a 400 pound blue that we had in the spread for a solid 10-15 minutes picking off every baited hook but somehow never getting hooked itself. We saw a few other marlin caught on that trip too. You can and should troll a dredge from a center console. My son marlin fishes in the Bahamas from his 31 Contender and uses a dredge extension in his rod holder which works very effectively and really is a necessity for marlin fishing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts