360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone on here tried these new popping rods yet? They look really good on paper and as they were recently introduced, seem to be attractively priced. How do they compare with the JW Ghost Hunters and OTI Tuna Sniper series?
cheers

·
177 Posts
My fishing buddy owns one but has not put it on the water yet.
I can tell you that he was really impressed with the feel of the rod on land and thinks it has a lot of potential.
Will update once he uses it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Check out pelagic pursuit on YouTube if you want to see the rods being fished. He almost exclusively fishes Nomad rods I think. This video shows him popping with the offshore spin PE 5-8
Thanks for that. The rods seem to look pretty good. Maybe it's time to bite the bullet and order one.....
I'm basically looking for something that'll cast well and work both medium size lures and poppers well. I've used some of Nomad's lures fairly successfully over the last year (esp. Madscad) and would sorta hope that their rods are well designed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The rod's here and so far I'm very happy. I've only had the opportunity to play with it from the beach and rocks here for a couple of brief sessions but it casts well, feels pretty sensitive and has a much stronger 'backbone' than my previous (admittedly max50g) casting rod. The tip is stiffer than expected but it works well. I've only been casting surface plugs (GT Ice Cream 3oz) so cant comment on how its going to work on playing other lures but so far so good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
As a side note the GT Ice Cream seems to be a killer. First time trying it today and within an hour had a reasonable GT hit it (lost near the rocks unfortunately), two black tips follow it and finally a good enough trevally for dinner!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just bought the 8’3” PE 5-8. Ive tuna fished for a long time but I’m new to the popping/casting game… I liked this the best of many other options I considered in that $300-400 range for various reasons, I guess we will see if I can catch anything with it. Matched it with a Saltist MQ 14k. Hoping to be able to use it this year for tuna, and will report back.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts