360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I had enough of listening to friends say the blackfish bite would be off this week from the blow.Everybody dropped out on me with the forecast so I went solo on the Norma K III today to find out for myself.Seas were happy with 3-5s spaced pretty tight.Blackfish Weather.
Well the bite was off a lil bit but we managed to put some decent fish in da box.I ended the day with about a dozen toggies in the 3-7 lb range and a dozen or so shorts.Not bad for 4 days after the storm.Was hopin to bring home a double digit to show my pals but that'll have to wait til next week.
Any NJ 360 guys that love to blackfish as much as me gimme a shout and we'll go kill some tog.

Attachments

·
652 Posts
I'll be out on Captain Ron's Captain Cal II out of Belmar this weekend. I've got the fever can't wait to set the hook on some bucktoothed bottom dwellers!

BTW, I know its different down there for you South Jersey guys, but up here 12 keepers and 12 shorts is a very good day! You guys are spoiled!

·
Registered
735 Posts
I fish the Ocean Explorer in belmar pretty frequently. I will PM you next time I plan on getting out. This week I decided to jig for bass yesterday and it was so good I am going to go again tomorrow on the Gambler.

·
Site Sponsor
4,162 Posts
i will be going every week, with a few 360 guys.
i did post spots when they were open.

i do have a TOG charter we are taking 12 guys. from different websites. should be fun, i do it every year.
out of barnegat light..dec19

i have a few spots.

·
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Peter im tryin for sat.Sats are tough with kids soccer and yada,yada,yada
BTW, I did see a few BFT's and plenty of bass and birdplays this morn.

Sea Bear I guess I am a lil spoiled.SJ just doesnt get the blackfish pressure that North does.Come on down in Dec and Jan.We had a day 2 or 3 years ago where 5 of us had 7 fish over 10 lbs.Biggest was 15 and we were throwin 6's back.When theyre chewin I expect a 10.There was a 23 caught last year.Yeah im spoiled.

Mike yes please pm me when ya go toggin.The striper fishin has been just sick lately.Good luck tomoro.

·
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Paul I did see youre openings.Thanks.Im so last minute I have trouble committing weeks in advance.I just never know with the wife and kids.I go when I can.I will be in touch about toggin and my new jiggin rod.

·
Site Sponsor
4,162 Posts
Paul I did see youre openings.Thanks.Im so last minute I have trouble committing weeks in advance.I just never know with the wife and kids.I go when I can.I will be in touch about toggin and my new jiggin rod.
yeah me to,
but, this 3 weeks TOG is someting i have been doing for years, so wife and kids know a year in advance i wont be home these weeks :D :D

·
652 Posts
Sea Bear I guess I am a lil spoiled.SJ just doesnt get the blackfish pressure that North does.Come on down in Dec and Jan.We had a day 2 or 3 years ago where 5 of us had 7 fish over 10 lbs.Biggest was 15 and we were throwin 6's back.When theyre chewin I expect a 10.There was a 23 caught last year.Yeah im spoiled..

I've been fishing about a decade strictly in north jersey waters and I'm still stuck at 9lbs, just not enough double digit tog around these waters. :( I definitely have to get down south sometime soon never have I ever dreamed of tossing back 6's. :eek:

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
BTW, I know its different down there for you South Jersey guys, but up here 12 keepers and 12 shorts is a very good day! You guys are spoiled!
Once upon a time, when Don Vitolo of the Skipper and Capt. Gary Fagan of the Big Mohawk ran for blackfish out of Belmar, NJ, we used to catch lots of blackfish. I personally witnessed one guy caught about 120 blackfish on the Skipper. I am thinking about arranging long range blackfish trip to Virginia water in winter in search of monster blackfish as they closed offshore seabass fishing.

nobody had more blackfish over 15 lbs than my friend, Sam who is holding Maryland Blackfish record.

·
652 Posts
Once upon a time, when Don Vitolo of the Skipper and Capt. Gary Fagan of the Big Mohawk ran for blackfish out of Belmar, NJ, we used to catch lots of blackfish.

I was never on the Skipper when Dom was running the boat but I went out with Marc many times. I don't care who says what there ain't nobody that can set out two hooks and put you smack dab right on the spot like Marc did. He had a talent. That was the only boat I would ever rush out of the wheelhouse to start cutting up my crab for bait once the engines pulled back because thats how quick we would be fishing! Sadly the "glory days" are over in the NY bight area and now when I go out these days on the Captain Cal II I'm happy if I land my 6 fish limit and a fish over 5lbs is "nice". Times have changed :(

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
I was never on the Skipper when Dom was running the boat but I went out with Marc many times. I don't care who says what there ain't nobody that can set out two hooks and put you smack dab right on the spot like Marc did. He had a talent. That was the only boat I would ever rush out of the wheelhouse to start cutting up my crab for bait once the engines pulled back because thats how quick we would be fishing! Sadly the "glory days" are over in the NY bight area and now when I go out these days on the Captain Cal II I'm happy if I land my 6 fish limit and a fish over 5lbs is "nice". Times have changed :(
There were some talented Capts in NJ to use double anchors. Dom of the Skipper was certainly one of the best. It is no wonder Marc is good at anchoring as he learned from his father.
I used to charter the Northstar out of Ocean City, NJ a lot. Capt Paul also has talent for double anchoring.

·
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Kil there are still a few very good double anchor capts in NJ.
It is a different Paul who runs the Northstar now and he is very good.This current Paul has been running the boat aabout 5-8 years maybe.
Capt Paul on the Porgy IV in Cape May is one of the best.
First time I ever fished with Capt Matt yesterday on the NK3.He had no problems getting us on the piece the first time.Hes a young guy with a talent.
Theres some small boaters too that have the gift.Capt Adam on the AB3 makes it look easy.Hes an A+ capt.
Steve on the Stanley Rose.Well Ive caught my share of 10-15 lbers on his boat.
Im sure theres more.There are still talented Capts in NJ.

·
857 Posts
i know its a lil far for some of you but the frances fleet blackfishing is lock and load atm. after the storm it was slow for 2 days and now there are on the chew :)

they sail everyday at 6am :)

·
652 Posts
No doubt the majority of captains out there are talented and do a fine job of setting up on some fish. I just wanted to make a point that Capt. Marc of the once "Skipper" was a step above all others. While just about anyone out there puts their customers on fish, Capt. Marc just made it look so easy. He's moved on to scalloping I believe. I miss the days I used to blackfish with him.

·
857 Posts
ksong said:
Once upon a time, when Don Vitolo of the Skipper and Capt. Gary Fagan of the Big Mohawk ran for blackfish out of Belmar, NJ, we used to catch lots of blackfish. I personally witnessed one guy caught about 120 blackfish on the Skipper. I am thinking about arranging long range blackfish trip to Virginia water in winter in search of monster blackfish as they closed offshore seabass fishing.

which blank is that ? lol:rolleyes:

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
baldurs390 said:
ksong said:

which blank is that ? lol:rolleyes:
One of a kind. :) It is Japanese Cosmotech blank.
The fish was caught at the rock inside Castle Hill Resort in Newport, RI in the spring. One cast one fish. All were released.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts