360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nicola of caranx.net is coming to the US from Spain for bluefin jigging/popping in Cape Cod, MA from Oct 6 - 11.
Nicola is well known jigging/popping fisherman throughout the world and he wrote many articles about jigging/popping in major fishing magazines for years.
His forum caranx.net is one of the oldest jigging/popping forum and it provided many valuable information to fishermen throughout the world for years.
It seems bluefin fishing in Cape Cod get international attention this year. Mogi and Grouper Boys from japan visited and fished AJ in NC and bluefin in Cape Cod recently though bluefin popping was hampered by bad weather.
As soon as Nicola's group finish their trip, another group from Korea are coming to jigging/popping bluefin in Cape Cod and AJ jigging in NC for filming of Korean TV. I think I have to postpone the completion date of my shop's website to take care of them.

One or two group of prominent Japanese fishermen are planning to fish bluefin in Cape Cod and AJ in NC next year as well as Jigging Master group for filming.

It is good our fishery is getting international attention.

·
3,718 Posts
That's cool , I'm not surprised though. I'm mildly surprised that it took this long. What we have here in the NE is nothing short of world class tuna fishing.
I hope the weather cooperates for them.

·
2,753 Posts
Its good to have this kind of attention. It provides opportunities for local shops to bring a better quality product out on display.

Its an appeal worth sharing.

·
-- Tackle Ho --
2,784 Posts
Its good to have the attention but bad that now many other people will be fishing in our back yard...imagine not having many Tuna...

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its good to have the attention but bad that now many other people will be fishing in our back yard...imagine not having many Tuna...
You are talking like some local charter boat Capts.
Some don't like the new spotlight of Cape Cod fishery at all as they have to compete now while they enjoyed catching tuna quietly without any boat around them. :)
I am promoting jigging and popping in the US. There are tons of tuna there in vast areas from Jeffries to Chatham.

This picture by Capt Terry shows it. :)

·
-- Tackle Ho --
2,784 Posts
ksong said:
You are talking like some local charter boat Capts.
Some don't like the new spotlight of Cape Cod fishery at all as they have to compete now while they enjoyed catching tuna quietly without any boat around them. :)
I am promoting jigging and popping in the US. There are tons of tuna there in vast areas from Jeffries to Chatham.

This picture by Capt Terry shows it. :)

Not a captain and will never be one...

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Let say guys in NZ don't like jig fishermen outside NZ to fish in Three Kings Island, NZ. I don't think it is right even in jest.
Let's welcome other fishermen to fish with us wholeheartedly.

·
Site Sponsor
226 Posts
Hey Kil...how about promoting some local CAPE charter captains who have been fishing these waters with light tackle quietly for 10 plus years?????? Just a thought if you want to see it accepted wholeheartedly..;)

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Kil...how about promoting some local CAPE charter captains who have been fishing these waters with light tackle quietly for 10 plus years?????? Just a thought if you want to see it accepted wholeheartedly..;)
I can promote any Capt who work hard and know what they are doing wholeheartedly as it can be good thing to promote jigging and popping there.
There must be some excellent Capt who specialize in light tackle for tuna in Cape Cod. I just don't have any chance to fish with them.
I promote Capt Dom, Capt Rich of the Blackrose or Capt Tip not just becuase I know them, but because I fish with them.

·
1,386 Posts
I can promote any Capt who work hard and know what they are doing wholeheartedly as it can be good thing to promote jigging and popping there.
There must be some excellent Capt who specialize in light tackle for tuna in Cape Cod. I just don't have any chance to fish with them.
I promote Capt Dom, Capt Rich of the Blackrose or Capt Tip not just becuase I know them, but because I fish with them.

Okay, I'll bite on this one ...

Fin Addiction is one of the local Charter Captains who works his butt off for the clients like the other good ones you mentioned. He handles light tackle from fly rods to spinners and knows his way around the Cape. He's out there hauling in the fish quietly.

·
373 Posts

Jeff,
You should take Kil out for a day of tuna then I bet he will promote you like he does Capt. Dom and the others. How can he promote what he doesn't know????

·
5,457 Posts
Okay, I'll bite on this one ...

Fin Addiction is one of the local Charter Captains who works his butt off for the clients like the other good ones you mentioned. He handles light tackle from fly rods to spinners and knows his way around the Cape. He's out there hauling in the fish quietly.

Pamet

He should promote himself like the other charter guys do. Most people only know them from there post's of fish being caught. Not to mention we all like to see the pictures.

I'm on several boards and this one is one of the few that allow charter guys to post up with out it being considered spam.

I know I'll welcome the addition more fish photos.

d-a

·
424 Posts
Pamet

He should promote himself like the other charter guys do. Most people only know them from there post's of fish being caught. Not to mention we all like to see the pictures.

I'm on several boards and this one is one of the few that allow charter guys to post up with out it being considered spam.

I know I'll welcome the addition more fish photos.

d-a

me too,,, dead fish please...

·
218 Posts
Let say guys in NZ don't like jig fishermen outside NZ to fish in Three Kings Island, NZ. I don't think it is right even in jest.
Let's welcome other fishermen to fish with us wholeheartedly.

One of the main reasons we dont get too upset is we know most of our charter boys operate a strict limit on the number of fish that can be taken home.
Do you guys have tight limits?? Its pretty much accepted in NZ that you dont go out on charter trips if you want to kill your limit.
Even most of the Recreational fishermen dont take their allowable limit when it comes to Kingfish. If you post a kill shot here all hell breaks loose.

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
One of the main reasons we dont get too upset is we know most of our charter boys operate a strict limit on the number of fish that can be taken home.
Do you guys have tight limits?? Its pretty much accepted in NZ that you dont go out on charter trips if you want to kill your limit.
Even most of the Recreational fishermen dont take their allowable limit when it comes to Kingfish. If you post a kill shot here all hell breaks loose.
The limit of bluefin tuna in the US is much stricker than in NZ. You can keep only one over 47 inches per boat. And guys who come from overseas for jigging and popping come to Cape Cod for enjoyment, not for meat like we go to Ranfurly or Three Kings Island, NZ for fun by releasing all kingfish. I might go to South Island, NZ for giants next Aug and it is going to be mostly catch and release even they are allowed to kill a few there.

·
218 Posts
"not for meat like we go to Ranfurly or Three Kings Island, NZ"

If people knew visitors were coming to do that then maybe it wouldnt be that surprising if they said dont come?
Which charter boat has allowed you to meat hunt at 3 Kings and Ranfurly. I hope to go to 3 Kings in March, all the boats I have been on recently only allow 1 per person then it is catch and release.
Its bit of an issue here, If they are taking their limit they certainly dont post it as most people dont approve.

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
"not for meat like we go to Ranfurly or Three Kings Island, NZ"

If people knew visitors were coming to do that then maybe it wouldnt be that surprising if they said dont come?
Which charter boat has allowed you to meat hunt at 3 Kings and Ranfurly. I hope to go to 3 Kings in March, all the boats I have been on recently only allow 1 per person then it is catch and release.
Its bit of an issue here, If they are taking their limit they certainly dont post it as most people dont approve.
You must misread my post.
What I am saying is guys visiting Cape Cod from overseas enjoy catching and releasing in Cape Cod as like most fishermen who visit Ranfurly or Three Kings, NZ do. Did you meet any jig fishermen who fish Randurly and Three Kings and is interested in meat ?
But it was not a good sign to see several commercial boats in Three Kings when I visited second time. I hear commerial fishing was allowed on Ranfurly Bank. It is a matter of time they wipe out kingfish/hapuka populations once they are allowed long liners.

·
218 Posts
Sorry for the mistake. Kil I live not not too far from Whakatane and unfortunately I have seen charter boats come back from Ranfurly with what looked like their allowable limit. I guess one of the disappointing things you see is the number of people who bring back big fish and haven't put any thought into how they are going to get their catch home. They dont go well on the back seat of a car.:D

·
Spinal Rods
777 Posts
Sorry for the mistake. Kil I live not not too far from Whakatane and unfortunately I have seen charter boats come back from Ranfurly with what looked like their allowable limit. I guess one of the disappointing things you see is the number of people who bring back big fish and haven't put any thought into how they are going to get their catch home. They dont go well on the back seat of a car.:D

Unfortunately Nev that is the way it is around the world. There are too many times fish go uneaten or go bad. Keep what you can eat. I'm not apposed to killing fish but keep it moderate.

·
Super Moderator
1,569 Posts
Unfortunately Nev that is the way it is around the world. There are too many times fish go uneaten or go bad. Keep what you can eat. I'm not apposed to killing fish but keep it moderate.
To add,
It seems that generally no matter what part of the world you are in, the commercial boats are going to be doing the damage.
The recreational fisherman can only give back their share...which is a small percentage.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.