Nice heavy duty tuna lures

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Albiemanmike, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Albiemanmike

Albiemanmike Senior Member

There is a guy on another site I frequent that makes his own wooden lures. He has come up with some nice heavy duty tuna poppers and surface swimmers with rediculous hardware and rigging. I thought everyone here might like to see them and check them out. I have no affiliation with him or his company just thought you guy's might be interested in them. I would like to hear what people think of his designs good or bad as many here have used and fished for everything big and nasty so this is the place to find out if something is worth a closer look or not.

"Now That's A HOOK"!! Big upgrade

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

pretty neat........do the belly hooks get tangled?

3. d-a

d-a Senior Member

His thru wire looks good, but its not tied together that I can tell. but i would be suspicious of the swivels. the ones on the tail look awful weak, plus there's no need for the doubles on the tail or the two sets mid body. Just more to hook Deckhands, captains and anglers on.

But that's just my opinion and what do I know????

d-a

4. Albiemanmike

He is using 270 lb. swivels and Wolverine splits and claims that there is no other maker now using anything as heavy as what he is using. I can't say whether they foul or not as I do not have any yet but was wondering the same thing. They do look promising though.

5. d-a

d-a Senior Member

He is using 270 lb. swivels and Wolverine splits and claims that there is no other maker now using anything as heavy as what he is using. I can't say whether they foul or not as I do not have any yet but was wondering the same thing. They do look promising though.

Maybe not in the custom built area, but i know some mass produced poppers that are using just as heavy duty thru wire(and twisted onto itself), 300lb + swivels and split rings. Oh and there less than $30 with hooks.

d-a

6. chf1949

chf1949 Senior Member

Maybe not in the custom built area, but i know some mass produced poppers that are using just as heavy duty thru wire(and twisted onto itself), 300lb + swivels and split rings. Oh and there less than $30 with hooks.

d-a

d-a,

What <$30 poppers are you refering to that use hardware rated to those specs?

Topic for another thread... What thru wire is used in lures/poppers, and how is the rating calculated?

butch

btw - those lures sure have the profile of a submarine torpedo or an elongated MOAB.

7. Albiemanmike

I posted a link to the original thread he posted on the other site. If you want to read the whole thing and see the specifics please click the link and read. I just thought I would share something I saw elsewhere as not everyone always gets to see some nice stuff elsewhere.

8. d-a

d-a Senior Member

9. d-a

d-a Senior Member

I posted a link to the original thread he posted on the other site. If you want to read the whole thing and see the specifics please click the link and read. I just thought I would share something I saw elsewhere as not everyone always gets to see some nice stuff elsewhere.

I did read it and I sent him an email about some of his products, including the poppers.

I will likely order some different products than those you posted about because of this post.

d-a

10. chf1949

chf1949 Senior Member

d-a,
    checked the posts u linked to. i still have the same questions. i.e. a lot of the manufactures boast 500# thru wires... my arse....

maybe if they assume the wire is doubled and each end is terminated solidly within the lure they can claim 500# (250# on each leg of the doubled wire).

i was wondering if you have done any ultimate strenth tests on the thru wires in the lures. even if they are barrell twisted/wrapped, a single strand (e.g. OTI) rated to 500# would need to be HUGH!!! If the other lures, with a doubled eye, and each leg terminated and anchored within the body of the lure, were rated 250# each leg, then I could see the possibility. i guess it all depends upon actual wire material and the ultimate breaking strength.

maybe that is why the swivels are rated at 300#, because the thru wires as shown max out at around 250# in a single strand configuration if 316L welding wire or piano wire were used.

any thoughts?

butch

11. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

first picture reminds me of the original Fred Argobast Muskie Jitterbug!

best lure ever.

12. d-a

d-a Senior Member

d-a,
    checked the posts u linked to. i still have the same questions. i.e. a lot of the manufactures boast 500# thru wires... my arse....

maybe if they assume the wire is doubled and each end is terminated solidly within the lure they can claim 500# (250# on each leg of the doubled wire).

i was wondering if you have done any ultimate strenth tests on the thru wires in the lures. even if they are barrell twisted/wrapped, a single strand (e.g. OTI) rated to 500# would need to be HUGH!!! If the other lures, with a doubled eye, and each leg terminated and anchored within the body of the lure, were rated 250# each leg, then I could see the possibility. i guess it all depends upon actual wire material and the ultimate breaking strength.

maybe that is why the swivels are rated at 300#, because the thru wires as shown max out at around 250# in a single strand configuration if 316L welding wire or piano wire were used.

any thoughts?

butch

Butch

Lets see if this makes sense....

I don't know what the temper of, or if one metal is in an annealed state or not so this may not be an accurate comparison to begin with, all I do know is there both listed as stainless steel and we all know there's different quality's/composition's of stainless.

The only comparison I can make about the thru-wire is this, If you was to purchase 500lb single strand wire for leaders, it would be @.050 ( don't have any to measure) The thru wire used in the poppers in the beginning of this post is .092(per the guy making them) and the wire measured on the OTI poppers was .095. So if you was comparing them; the thru wire is at least a 500lb breaking strength. I don't have any way of testing breaking strength over 300lbs, that's as high as my scale will go, but quite frankly I wouldn't pull one to the point of breaking any ways:eek: .

d-a

13. chf1949

chf1949 Senior Member

d-a,

Okie Dokie. 0.095 would get to ~500#. I feel better now.

I was hoping you were going to tell me that you had a stress-strain rig at work with fragmentation shields to test materials...:D

14. d-a

d-a Senior Member

d-a,

Okie Dokie. 0.095 would get to ~500#. I feel better now.

I was hoping you were going to tell me that you had a stress-strain rig at work with fragmentation shields to test materials...:D

Not in my shop but down the road They do, but i get looked at funny when i dont bring in airplane parts.

d-a

15. chf1949

chf1949 Senior Member

I know the feeling :D ... I had built a offroad rally car and the guys at the local airport parts store would give me a look when I'd go searching thru their stock for banjo fittings for aeroquip hose, bearings, landing lights, etc...

16. Boston Tangler

Boston Tangler Site Sponsor

Wolverine Split rings - for what its worth. I've spoken with, received samples and fished their triple wound USA made rings. They are what they say they are and this guy must have made an effort to build that popper right by sourcing those type of components.

I like the double hook with the heat shrink (?) cool idea! I'd sell em ~ of course I would require samples for field testing first and I am going back to Panama in 5 weeks ;)

17. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Wolverine Split rings - for what its worth. I've spoken with, received samples and fished their triple wound USA made rings. They are what they say they are and this guy must have made an effort to build that popper right by sourcing those type of components.

I like the double hook with the heat shrink (?) cool idea! I'd sell em ~ of course I would require samples for field testing first and I am going back to Panama in 5 weeks ;)

Dan

For what its worth, the builder doesnt see a need in wrapping the wire onto itself at the nose position like these
    [​IMG]

However he is very willing to work with you to get exactly what you want.

d-a