360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took John from Madison to CC Bay today and he caught the rare over and under limit.

First fish was 46.25" and the second fish was a pig measuring 70". Both fish landed in under 30 min. Driving home now will post details
With pics later tonight.

·
2,924 Posts
Holy crap I should have come once again. That 70" pig had to be close if not over 200 pounds. Congrats guys

and you got the under slot too .... holy crap

·
1,386 Posts
Holy crap I should have come once again. That 70" pig had to be close if not over 200 pounds. Congrats guys

and you got the under slot too .... holy crap

Glenn, You should have. I ran out this morning for a while; 2 for 2. 60" class fish (the not rare middle and middle), steaking one of them now. The usual charter suspects were having a good day too.

·
1,386 Posts
Took John from Madison to CC Bay today and he caught the rare over and under limit.

First fish was 46.25" and the second fish was a pig measuring 70". Both fish landed in under 30 min. Driving home now will post details
With pics later tonight.

Way to go John! Did he take them on the troll or casting?

·
2,924 Posts
just got off the phone with both John & Mike. Great story coming of how if you a good angler and know how to fight a fish you will prevail

Huge congrats again guys

·
147 Posts

With pics later tonight.

Yea, it was a nice 2 hour window and then it got real snotty about 12:00. I landed a 60 incher :)

·
969 Posts
I'm absolutely exhausted !!!! There is so much to the story I don't know where to begin. The Pics will add to the great story.

The first fish came on my Bar-Bar Tackle 7.5' Spinning rod, Shimano Spheros reel, Daiwa 70lb braid, a Pametfisher 80lb Wind-on leader and a Ron-Z Silver Lure. It taped out at 46.25", a perfect "under" fish. From hook up to boat side was about 25 minutes.

The second fish came on a Penn Torque Conv. rod, Penn Torque 300 reel, Daiwa 80lb Boat braid, a 60lb Shimano Butterfly Fluorocarbon pre-made wind-on leader (yeah, stupid me !) with the lure a 8oz Shimano Butterfly Jig in Purple/Silver. The hook was a assist hook, OTI Raptor 10/0. (remember, my OTI 600g broke)

This fish taped out at 70" on the nose, and took about 25 minutes to bring to the gaff.

I can go on and on on the details. (i.e. nearly bend the assist hook, why I decided to jig while the fish where busting around the boat, the use of a "bluefish" gaff instead of Mike's new Poon Harpoon, etc etc etc......) I'm just too tired right now.

Mike will surely fill in the details and include great picture.

I'm so elated to have a over/under day, with a freaking PIG of a fish, on this type of tackle. I'm been lucky enough to catch Giant Tuna over 500lbs, but this is a way better experience.

All the credit needs to go to Mike(AlbiemanMike). He's still driving home after doing a great job loining these beautiful fish.

News at 11........................................................

·
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry guy's the news will have to be tomorrow. My apologies but getting up at 1:00 am., meeting John at 3:00 am driving 3 hours each way to fish and then spending a couple of hours butchering tuna and then coming home and cleaning the boat I am SHOT! Don't even have enough energy to plug the camera in and download the pics. And I have to be up at 7:00 to attend pistol training course with the wife. I swear I will post the pics tomorrow after the course. Congrats to John he did a fine job on both of the fish and after 2 previous trips with him fishless it was a real nice way to break the jinx even if i didn't catch a cold it was still worth the price of admission watching all those tuna airing out all over the place and seeing John's elated face after landing that 70" fish was well worth not getting any fish myself. I will be back though.....................:)

·
1,334 Posts
Can't wait for the full report and pics!! I spoke with John yesterday when he sent me the pic on my cell phone!! Great story!!

Have fun making loud noises at the class Mike!!

·
969 Posts
OK, how about a few teaser pics:

This Shimano butterfly jig and OTI Raptor 10/0 hook where both brand new out of package before catching the 70" BFT.

Anyone notice anything amiss with the OTI Raptor hook??;) ;)

·
1,386 Posts
I'm absolutely exhausted !!!! There is so much to the story I don't know where to begin. The Pics will add to the great story.

The first fish came on my Bar-Bar Tackle 7.5' Spinning rod, Shimano Spheros reel, Daiwa 70lb braid, a Pametfisher 80lb Wind-on leader and a Ron-Z Silver Lure. It taped out at 46.25", a perfect "under" fish. From hook up to boat side was about 25 minutes.

The second fish came on a Penn Torque Conv. rod, Penn Torque 300 reel, Daiwa 80lb Boat braid, a 60lb Shimano Butterfly Fluorocarbon pre-made wind-on leader (yeah, stupid me !) with the lure a 8oz Shimano Butterfly Jig in Purple/Silver. The hook was a assist hook, OTI Raptor 10/0. (remember, my OTI 600g broke)

This fish taped out at 70" on the nose, and took about 25 minutes to bring to the gaff.

I can go on and on on the details. (i.e. nearly bend the assist hook, why I decided to jig while the fish where busting around the boat, the use of a "bluefish" gaff instead of Mike's new Poon Harpoon, etc etc etc......) I'm just too tired right now.

Mike will surely fill in the details and include great picture.

I'm so elated to have a over/under day, with a freaking PIG of a fish, on this type of tackle. I'm been lucky enough to catch Giant Tuna over 500lbs, but this is a way better experience.

All the credit needs to go to Mike(AlbiemanMike). He's still driving home after doing a great job loining these beautiful fish.

News at 11........................................................

Mike, John, way to go. Sounds like you had an A1 day from start to finish. How about that mid-day wind? Can't wait for the photos!

While we're waiting for your photos, after Mike goes shooting, I'll mention that the fish I took home taped at 58", the second maybe a bit bigger. We had some nice tuna steaks last night! The gear was Stella 20K, 40/60 Tuna Sniper, 60# JB, 100# Jinkai Streamline leader, swivel/ring, to a Shibuki. (Both fish took the Shibuki, I'm sold on this lure and the silver RonZ. Had a fish last Friday on the same setup with RonZ) Fights for both fish ran about 15-20 minutes. I've got an 8-9' gaff which comes in handy solo. Tail roping solo is a bit of an acrobatic maneuver.

Attachments

·
1,334 Posts
That jig looks great!!! Gotta love those chomper marks...sure it wasn't a Huge bluefish? :) How did the filleting go??

·
147 Posts
John, I was using that exact same jig yesterday. That fish demolished it!!

Went to post pics but too large. Need to resize it.

Nice fish Roger and those RonZ's are really sweet plus you can cast them a mile.

Also using the Shibuki yesterday.

·
1,095 Posts
Anyone notice anything amiss with the OTI Raptor hook??;) ;)[/QUOTE]

Looks like the finish was completly worn off the hook.

·
80 Posts
Congrats on the over/under John!! It looks like that chafe might have wandered a bit south of its original location. Sounds like an awesome day, and hopefully this will continue for a while! Lets see some pics Mike!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts