360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

Newbie to Tuna - whens the bite the best?

2K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  TS18997 
#1 ·
i want to plan a charter to the NE to go fish Tuna.

So, when is the best time of year to plan a trip??

and my next question: all these Tuna are good eating right? no mercury concerns or anything else? because if i catch it, i wanna eat it!!! with that in mind are there better places for me to fish(e.g. places with cleaner water?).

I appreciate any help - i know i bombard you guys with a lot of questions so i appreciate any help i can get!

tight lines,
aaron

#3 ·
all the fish in the ocean have mercury. the older the fish the more mercury they have. clean water has nothign to do with the quality of the fish as they are highly migratory. i heard recently that bluefin tuna was going to reach a point where the large ones were unmarketable becsue if the high level of mercury.

#4 ·
all the fish in the ocean have mercury. the older the fish the more mercury they have. clean water has nothign to do with the quality of the fish as they are highly migratory. i heard recently that bluefin tuna was going to reach a point where the large ones were unmarketable becsue if the high level of mercury.

You know, I don't want to start a war here, which this comment just may, but I have to say this because it does bother me just a little bit. Remember that there are certain groups out there that are pushing extremely hard to get Bluefin Tuna fishing shut down altogether. If you convince people that these fish are no longer safe to eat, the demand goes away, and then the fishing for them will stop. Political agenda's..... I would not worry too much about the quality of Bluefin Tuna flesh. Remember, people still eat plenty of fish out of the Great Lakes too!

Anyway.... Now is the time to go get them... If you can get a good weather day.

#5 ·
If you convince people that these fish are no longer safe to eat, the demand goes away, and then the fishing for them will stop. Political agenda's...

This is a good point, however it could work to the advantage of recs if the commercial demand were to go away?!?!?

#6 ·
If you convince people that these fish are no longer safe to eat, the demand goes away, and then the fishing for them will stop. Political agenda's...

This is a good point, however it could work to the advantage of recs if the commercial demand were to go away?!?!?

Possibly, but right now the assault is on the whole fishery. By this time next year, Bluefin Tuna may be listed as an endangered species. You may as well go Harpoon Right Whales....

#7 ·
guys i by no means was saying cape cod didnt have clear water - i had heard mercury levels were a concern, thats all.

i may not be able to swing a trip this year but if now is the time to go then maybe next october i plan a week of fishing up there :) bring the other half and some friends up, make a party of it!

#8 ·
guys i by no means was saying cape cod didnt have clear water - i had heard mercury levels were a concern, thats all.

i may not be able to swing a trip this year but if now is the time to go then maybe next october i plan a week of fishing up there :) bring the other half and some friends up, make a party of it!

If you can't swing October, then look into the November Chatham bite.

#10 ·
what city/town/marina are most guys headed out of for the fish right now?? i guess what im asking is if i plan an October trip where should i be trying to stay while im up there?

Pretty much anywhere from New Hampshire all the way to Chatham. I would look to Green Harbor or Plymouth area right now.

#11 ·
Read a while back in scientific america magazine where some swordfish were were dug up in a dig in Mexico. The fish they found were several thousand years old. In an examination done (can remember the technical words) the examiners found mercury in in the remains .The scientist came to a conclusion that some species of fish naturally had a certain amount of mercury in there flesh. They were saying it was a natural thing and the mercury was not a result of pollution cause by industrialization.

#12 ·
Read a while back in scientific america magazine where some swordfish were were dug up in a dig in Mexico. The fish they found were several thousand years old. In an examination done (can remember the technical words) the examiners found mercury in in the remains .The scientist came to a conclusion that some species of fish naturally had a certain amount of mercury in there flesh. They were saying it was a natural thing and the mercury was not a result of pollution cause by industrialization.

Very interesting! I'll search for that info. Thats good stuff!

#13 ·
Possibly, but right now the assault is on the whole fishery. By this time next year, Bluefin Tuna may be listed as an endangered species. You may as well go Harpoon Right Whales....
Just pray, that they (whom ever it is!) do not attack Yf Fin and Black Fin
limits and shut it down - A lot of people whom love Long Range trips will
have to find different hobbies - my buddies will loose their jobs.....
Mercury may be an issue - but, for me and my life and love of tuna fishing-
catch a tuna - ice it down, first - then enjoy................
If, I where to die from mercury from tuna - please, spread my ashes
on blue water

#15 ·
October is the best month for small tuna fishing in New England, bar none. Currently, there are good groups of fish from Maine to south of Chatham. If you were coming to Massachusetts for the tuna, I would reccomend fishing the Cape. It is very pretty water, has concentrated, highly active schools of fish, and is much easier to dial in than the Gloucester fishery. The Gloucester fish are nearly impossible to dial in unless it is either a wide open bite or you have intimate knowledge of the fishery and years of experience. They feed highly selectively, they eat very specific foods that are highly tide dependent, and they will frustrate the hell out of anyone who hasn't had hundreds of days of Bluefin experience. When I say hundreds, I truly mean hundreds of days fishing the Gloucester fish. They are that hard. Sure, there are dilletants who have caught a handful during epic bites in our water, but day in and day out, Gloucester is the hardest fishery to get patterned. You will hear about 2-4 days off of Gloucester from the new guys, but those are the most epic bite days where the highliners are going double digits on fish to the boat and in the 20's on fish hooked. Yes, I am speaking about 65" class fish, and speaking from experience. Gloucester is a fishery that revolves around experience, and if you have less than four full seasons worth, it is not worth your time.

Gloucester is hard as hell to dial in, but once you have it dialed, it is up there with The Cape. There's a lot of fish off of Gloucester, but they are exceptionally more difficult than Cape Cod fish, and they change their location daily. After learning how to tuna fish northeast of Gloucester and fishing the backside quite frequently with both my rig and in others, I can say without question that from a getting tight standpoint the Cape is better. Compared to the Gloucester fish, the Cape fish are...well...retarded. Speaking from a guy who runs 54 miles to fish the backside quite frequently, The Cape is where you want to be for happy fish.

#16 ·
ok guys, newbie question number 2: so what kind of Tuna are the best eating? are there just opinions or is it fact?

and what do you guys do when you catch a couple big fish? can they be sold to market? if so, whats the market value? or is it only take what you personally are going to divy up and eat? i guess thats two questions :)

#18 ·
ok guys, newbie question number 2: so what kind of Tuna are the best eating? are there just opinions or is it fact?

and what do you guys do when you catch a couple big fish? can they be sold to market? if so, whats the market value? or is it only take what you personally are going to divy up and eat? i guess thats two questions :)

Best eating Tuna is Bluefin. To sell them takes a special commercial permit. Not hard to get, but it is for your vessel specifically. If you are out on a charter, odds are there will be no selling of Tuna. This is Bluefin Tuna I am speaking of. I am not sure about YF or Bigeye or Blackfin.

#19 ·

That one is as tough to answer as which meat is best: Cow, Lamb, Pig? Or which cut of steak is best?... Everyone has an opinion.

From mildest to strongest I would rate them as: Albacore (fairly white), Yellowfin (more pink..), Bluefin (red), Bonito, Skipjack, False Albacore is uneatable.... I like Yellowfin then it depends on my mood whether Albacore or Bluefin come next.

But the market and the big $$$ is in Bluefin. That is the Japanese suchi big buck fish. As for Mercury, unless you are eating huge amounts of tuna (three times a week) I don't worry about it. My tuna consumption is also seasonal... twice a week during the season and once a month off season (frozen).

As for what time of year and where. I second Cape Cod. The fish are around from June until December.... But the best time would have to be September and October. The only downside of Sept and Oct is that the weather windows are smaller in the fall than in the dead of summer. (well most summers, not this year).

Selling fish to market requires a commercial permit and all the safety gear ($$$) that goes with it. For bluefin the minimum size is 73 inches (CFL). On a charter any fish that big belongs to the boat. They will probably cut you a deal on your charter fees if you catch one... work it out ahead of time with the Captain. But don't count on getting a commercial fish. It is not easy.

How much fish I take versus give away to friends depends on how much room I have in my freezer and what time of year it is... I eat and give away more early in the year and keep/freeze more later in the year... personal preference.

O(ne other thing I insist on.... if you kill it, you eat it... all of it!!! Or make sure some one else eats it. My personal morals on killing fish....

Mike

#21 ·
If, I where to die from mercury from tuna - please, spread my ashes
on blue water

Then we would be just contributing to the problem and puting the mercury back in the environment. :p I say we double wrap your ash in baggies and duct tape and throw you in the hazardous waste. :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.