Newbie Rod and Reel Feedback

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by marlin frederick, Sep 16, 2006.

1. marlin frederick

marlin frederick Junior member

All,

I've only been on one Tuna trip (Quatro Tuna), but I think that has hooked me for life. For that trip, I borrowed tackle from a couple of friends. I'm going out on Cinco Tuna and I'm planning on buying my own tackle for this trip. I also expect to start going on offshore trips 2-3 times a year. I'd like some feedback on the gear I'm planning to purchase in the hopes of avoiding any major mistakes. It's a big investment for me and I've been saving my pennies for a while. :) One more thing I should mention is I'm only interested in left handed reels being a south paw.

Chunk fishing for Tuna (plus AJ fishing in wrecks):
    Rod: Chaos STA 50-100 6' or Chaos STA 30-50 6'
    Reel: Avet Pro30 or Avet Pro30W
    Line: 80lb Jerry Brown Hollow Core Spectra with 60lb/80lb mono topshot
    Jigging for Tuna:
    Rod: Chaos K 30-60 7' or Chaos K 30-60 6'6"
    Reel: Avet LX6/3 or Avet JX6/3
    Line: 60lb Jerry Brown Hollow Core Spectra with 40lb/60lb mono topshot

Top Water for Tuna:
    Rod: Chaos STSP 15-50 7'
    Reel: Shimano Thunnus 16000F or Shimano Spheros 14000FA
    Line: 65lb Solid Core Izorline tied to bait with mono leader

2. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

your choices will definetly get you by with out any problems. the only issue i see is your chunking and amberjack rig. i would probably go with 130lb jerry brown and the heavier rod to try and turn those ambejacks.

welcoome to the site and good luck on your purchases. hope to see you offshore....rick

3. Gunsmoke

Gunsmoke Senior Member

Marlin Frederick,

If that trip happens, give my buddy Mrbill hell. Wait till somebody does a body gaff on one of his fish. A word of advise, gaff it in the head or let it free.

Go with the heavy sticks. Otherwise your list looks fine.

4. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

If that trip happens, give my buddy Mrbill hell. Wait till somebody does a body gaff on one of his fish. A word of advise, gaff it in the head or let it free.

EXCUSE ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not the one with a gaffing issue. How in the world could you forget giving all those girlfriends "Gaffing 101" lessons. Don't you remember me making a fool of myself at your rehearsal dinner. When I stood up and said "The only reason he's getting married is because he finally found a girl that could gaff his fish" you and me were the only ones laughing. I've gotten the cold shoulder for years about that speech.

5. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Frederick,
    I didn't mean to get off topic on your thread, but my buddy just needed a little reminder of who has the gaffing problem.

Go with the pro30W, lx6/3, thunnus 16000. I don't know the Chaos line of rods, but pick the heaviest stick. Avet gives you a good reel for the money. If you only plan to fish 3-4 times a year, you are making a good choice. The Thunnus is also a good bang for the buck.

6. marlin frederick

marlin frederick Junior member

It looks like people are recommending that I go towards the heavier side of what I was considering. It also looks like Chaos rods are relatively unknown. Suggestions indicate I should go with something like:

Chunk fishing for Tuna (plus AJ fishing in wrecks):
    Rod: Chaos STA 50-100 6'
    Reel: Avet Pro30W
    Line: 130lb Jerry Brown Hollow Core Spectra with 80lb mono topshot
    Jigging for Tuna:
    Rod: Chaos K 30-60 7' or Chaos K 30-60 6'6"
    Reel: Avet LX6/3
    Line: 80lb Jerry Brown Hollow Core Spectra with 50lb mono topshot
    Top Water for Tuna:
    Rod: Chaos STSP 15-50 7'
    Reel: Shimano Thunnus 16000F
    Line: 65lb Solid Core Izorline tied to bait with mono leader
    Is that because its better to be too heavy than too light? Is this going to be too heavy if I expect to dominantly be fishing from the rail with little to no trolling? I'm just wondering. Thanks for the feedback!!

7. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

heavy is better for the amberjacks. for chunking for tuna all you need to do is put the rod in a rod holder and strip line out to match the drift of the chum. you can hold the rod if you want but it will work just fine in the holder and you don't have to support the weight of the rod all night. as for the chaos rods they are very well known and make a good product. not the most expensive rods but they are glass rods and they stand behing their rods....rick