360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been visiting this place for a while now, and IMO its the best fishing forum on the net, I ve just had a birthday and my parents have bought for me a Saragosa 18000F with a full load 65lb braid, and have matched it to an Innovator 'nitro godzilla spin' its a 7ft pce rod - rated 10-15kg (20-30lb) [ Nitro Godzilla Spin

I ve done plenty of freshwater fishing, and smaller inshore work, but not a great deal of serious saltwater fishing.

I feel these are a little bit of a missmatch, with the reel being a little overkill for the rod so my questions are:

What rod would you match to the 18000, I plan on using it for BFT to 100+ lb, small mako around portland and probably trips over to WA to jig samsons
I was looking at a jigwrex or equivelant, brand isnt an issue.

What reel would you put on the godzilla - would a 8000 saragosa be a good fit, and be able to handle everything the rod is capable of?

I m in Australia, so would be planning on using the godzilla for most of my inshore fishing - kingies, muloway, and pelagics - small tuna, mackerel, GT's etc -

Any and all advise is much appreciated, and thankyou in advance.

I have a budjet of about 600 give or take.

Cheers, Yolks.

·
-- Tackle Ho --
2,784 Posts
Check out the oti popping lines they are great rods and price is right! For the godzilla, it really depend on what line you want to run with it if you want pe3 then smaller saragosa will work as well.

G

·
Most guys here will recommend an OTI 7'6" popping rod in 40-60# for that reel. Popping Rods : Ocean Tackle International I built one custom and love it. You can get one retail for less that your Godzilla (if there's not a currency change from what that website says)

Oh yea, also look at the Tuna Snipers. Little bit longer for extra distance when casting. Tuna Sniper Rods : Ocean Tackle International

Also, being in Australia, you need to join this site too. Jigging and Popping Forum - Powered by vBulletin There's a lot of international guys there who speak g kg and pe... I have to use a conversion tool to understand what the heck you guys are talking about!!

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
If you target tuna under 100 lbs, even Saragosa 8000 can do the job.
I have been using Stella 8000 and Accurate SR20 for tuna under 100 lbs.
I even landed a 160 - 170 lbs bluefin with Accurate SR20 which is similar to Saragosa 8000 in line capacity.

I have little knowledge about Australia jigging/popping rod market. But there should be decent rods available for reasonable prices.
If you look for top-end rods, I believe Jigging Master, Ripple Fisher, Carpenter, Smith and other Japanses brands should be available in Australia.

Jigwreck can do the job, but it is not great rod.

G

·
yolks - we just shipped a few rod blanks down to Dakau rods near Sydney for him to build. His name on this board is "saqa".....if he doesn't see this then maybe send him a PM. I'm sure he could build a nice rod for you, and knows the local areas so would be able to give good advice regarding what tackle is appropriate for those fish.

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thankyou all for the advice,
I was close to jumping on a jigwrex, cheers Ksong for the advice.

Red I love the look of the OTI rods, and the price with the dollar the way it is puts them right within my budjet. The OTI-3101-60S is the one i m leaning towards. Based on the specs of the rod and the 18000 they should work together quite well as a reasonable jigging rod and maybe a trolling setup.

Cheers Bret, The Dakau rods also look amazing, having something built close to home would be great incase anything goes wrong, just about to send saqa a pm regards specs, prices etc.

Yolks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts