360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I live in So. Cal. I’ll probably go out on a half day boat out of new port beach. I plan on buying this reel.
I am new to ocean fishing Would this reel, which will be my first saltwater reel, be a good one to fish kelp beds on a half day boat catching sea bass and stuff like scorpion fish or maybe even catch a 20lb yellow tail tuna?
I’ve never saltwater fished before.

·
Banned
39 Posts
The boat will probably have equipment you can use. The charter folks will be a great source of information. The fish you can expect to catch would be a good place to start. No reason to carry an eighty pound rig, when a thirty would work. And also having no experience, and you can use a lighter rig, I'm prolly fixing to get smoked, but I would suggest a level wind. My personal favorite half day snapper rig has a garcia 7000 on it. It holds 400 yds of 50lb, a 20 lb brake and 4.1:1 gears. It can and has handled some purdy good size fish...Now if you will have a chance of snaggin a large bluefin, a sixty to eighty would be appropriate.

Your not far from Charkbait, Mark knows whats going on where your going, and can fix you up with some good equipment.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts