Newbie help

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Grunt, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Grunt

Grunt Guest

I'm new here and looking for help with a set up for mostly peir fishing in a saltwater river. Something that can bring in 4-6 foot sharks. Blacktip, tiger (unlikely), sharpnose.

Looking for a rod and reel, and what kind of line i should put on those. I'm not looking to spend too much, maybe 200 total for rod and reel if thats possible.

Any advice would be appreciated

EDIT, sorry posted in wrong section, please ignore or delete ill repost where its supposed to be

2. Pope

Pope Senior Member

Considering your price limit, that is going to be tough. You need a long rod for casting distances and a smooth reel to allow for smooth casting. You may want to look into a shakespeare surf rod paired with a star drag shimano TLD 20.

3. Pope

Pope Senior Member

P.S. The shimano TLDs have an aluminum spool so you can load it with spectra. You may want to upgrade the drag, but the graphite side plates may flex a bit if you put to much pressure on it. Ask alantani what he thinks about the durability of the drag.

4. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

ugly stick tiger and used penn gld 30. They are in your budget and will handle anything you can catch. i use braid and would use 80 pound daiwa boat braid, but you could use 40lb Berkley big game mono and call it a day!

5. tnhunter

tnhunter Junior member

Find a good used penn 545 or 555 on ebay and order a 10' or 12' ocean extreme from bass pro shop. This rig should keep you in budget. Its a nice pier outfit and it will handle the fish you target!!!

6. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

daiwa ebmlem surf 11'4" rod 110 bucks. best surf rod for the money period. daiwa sealine x 30 or 40 reel. 110 bucks. outcast any penn even the 525 mag! very low maintenance.