360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been out on several 12 hours trips galveston ...but finally decided its time to go for a tuna trip out of Port A next year
We mostly freshwater fish, have a couple of smaller saltwater inshore rigs thats it.. wont handle tuna thats for sure lol

Do the boats provide rod and reel?

If not can someone suggest a rod/reel combo?

Probably share with hubby as we only get to come down every couple of years from dallas area
Suggestions on jigs?

Any info would be helpful...

·
Registered
23 Posts
My advice is to take a small step forward from your 12 hr experiences. Do a 24 hr overnight trip tuna trip out of Port A next fall. The boat runs are much shorter than the 36-60 hr trips. Granted you'll probably only catch blackfin tuna vs the bigger yellowfin but its a good way to learn. The charters have rods&reels available to use; its not the best stuff but it'll catch fish. They also provide all the terminal tackle (hooks, wts, etc) and bait. You won't 'need' jigs or lures but you're welcome to bring some.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My advice is to take a small step forward from your 12 hr experiences. Do a 24 hr overnight trip tuna trip out of Port A next fall. The boat runs are much shorter than the 36-60 hr trips. Granted you'll probably only catch blackfin tuna vs the bigger yellowfin but its a good way to learn. The charters have rods&reels available to use; its not the best stuff but it'll catch fish. They also provide all the terminal tackle (hooks, wts, etc) and bait. You won't 'need' jigs or lures but you're welcome to bring some.
We are looking at dolphin docks which is a 30 or 36 hour trip next fall,
Prefer to take atleast 3 of our own rods/reels
we have run into issues before
Can always fall back on the boat equipment if needed

I figure this wont be our last trip but the first
might as well go ahead and purchase another setup

Have plenty of time to learn

Not totally new to saltwater, but tuna is a different world
alot different from catching snapper/reds/ or drums

·
Registered
216 Posts
Katheria, welcome and all the best to you and your husband in stepping up in your saltwater adventures.
Your Penn 320 GTI's will be fine for bottom fishing and also for jigging for blackfin. What's really important is to what kind rods they are paired up with. You really need a rod with some backbone, as you could be very well jigging for Blackfin and easily hook into a yellowfin.
The difference between the 2 fish is substantial, although a nice size blackfin say 15, 20 pounds and up will bring a stout fight to the table.
Braided line of at least 65lbs id recommend, preferably 80lbs be better.
You can also use them for drifting chunks for Yellowfin, but again those reels need to be on a good rod with some backbone.
If yall are going to want to do some casting, you will need to put together a heavy spinning outfit to bring out with you. Good luck and there is a wealth of knowledge here, and if you can't find an answer or in doubt, just ask, someone will chime in.

·
Just a guy who likes to fish
3,183 Posts
If you want to start out with a jigging/bottom rod in either conventional or spinning check out the ugly stick tiger rods. They sell for like $90. That way you can pick up a nicer reel that will handle the tuna you are after.

For spinning reels you won’t go wrong with something like a shimano Saragossa.

A good conventional jigging/bottom reel is going to cost you. You could go with a Siegler LGN reel for $400. You could get by with something like the Penn Fathom II 40N (FTH40LND) for around $250.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Main weakness for those Penn 320 GTI'S is the max drag, the 320's are only rated to 12lbs. That's on the light side for Yellowfin, to light. You'll be able to get 300 plus yards of 65 or 80lb braid on the reel, but seriously run the risk of being spooled by a nice Yellowfin.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Don’t get a siegler. I just bought one, took it out of the box cranked it a couple times and it’s on its way back to tackle direct. Get the new fathom 2 size 40 it will do everything for you but top water. You can use whatever rod you jig with for bottom fishing. If you’re really interested in jigging I’d invest in a good jigging rod I just watched guys without their own rods try to jig with the boat rods which aren’t made for jigging and needless to say they didn’t catch anything. They couldn’t even get deep enough to get to the fish.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Main weakness for those Penn 320 GTI'S is the max drag, the 320's are only rated to 12lbs. That's on the light side for Yellowfin, to light. You'll be able to get 300 plus yards of 65 or 80lb braid on the reel, but seriously run the risk of being spooled by a nice Yellowfin.
Thats what i was thinking also... welp guess the budget has to go up...oh well 😁
2 new setups needed 🤷‍♀️

·
Just a guy who likes to fish
3,183 Posts
Don’t get a siegler. I just bought one, took it out of the box cranked it a couple times and it’s on its way back to tackle direct.
Don’t get one??? Let’s see, lifetime warranty, feels better than the Accurate Valiants, that so many on here like, when cranking, and has 40 lbs of drag. It definitely has stronger gears than the Penn does. That’s okay though, some people don’t like Alutecnos reels either (of which I have six).

·
Registered
216 Posts
Well men, I like Penn tackle, its what I started out with in the mid 80's and has just stuck with me. Penn has been doing Saltwater a longtime, they are not the flashiest nor the lightest and more often than not, over built. They are easy to maintain, disassemble and assemble, you do your part and they will last longer than yourself.

So with that said, here are my recommendations for Katheria

Penn US Senator 113N, this is a 4/0 reel that's built like a tank, you can also cast these US Senators, its a star drag reel rated to 27lbs drag.
Some would call the 113N a Baja Special. Less than 300 bucks. Simple, highly effective and been around forever, there's a reason for that.
Personally I have one and wouldn't trade it for nothing.

Penn Fathom FTH40NLD2, this is a 2 speed lever drag reel that has proven its self out on the West Coast with their Bluefin that they tackle. Have one on these also along with the Penn Fathom FTH60LD2. The new model Fathoms are out and on the shelves, available for purchase. About 330 bucks. Worth every penny, to get into the 2 speed lever drag field.

You wanna get into Profesional grade, you can never go wrong with the Penn Internationals, mid 500's and up.

Rods, I like the Penn Carnage III's both the West Coast series of rail rods and the standard boat rods.
Plumbing valve Valve Plumbing fitting Cylinder Gas

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tuna Rods and Reels – One stand-up type tuna rod with 2-speed 30 or 50 conventional reel (60 to 80-lb test monofilament line), one 7-foot tuna jigging rod with Penn 3/0 or Penn Jigmaster equivalent reel (50-lb test monofilament or 50 to 65-lb test braided line). Tuna Tackle – 50, 60, and 80-lb test fluorocarbon leader material, barrel swivels (provided), 5/0 to 8/0 chunking or circle hooks (6/0 chunking hooks provided), 6 to 8-oz hammer finish diamond jigs, 1 to 8-oz egg sinkers, 8 to 16-oz bank sinkers, rubber bands, Cyalume light sticks (assorted colors)
TEK800PGLCA for night jigging (line counter plus more line room but they weren't biting jig so did jigging in the low time just to learn) 80lb braid with 65lb mono top shot and the Avet HX 2 speed MC raptor (for tuna stay with the raptures=smaller reel with serous backbone/drag and best for me/women with smaller hands) for chunking at 65 braid and 60-80 top shot mono. Or 80 lb for all. Any good well made tuna rod will work. Rods I used were custom made by local (Kevn Bogan) for 50-140 lb nothing fancy. Like posted before boats have the set ups for rent and if you go to a good tackle shop near the boats they will have what you need to look at and get a feel for(test the reels because for women it does make a different) and set ups. Black Friday specials are on.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts