New Zealand Yellowtail - Three Kings

Discussion in 'Kilsong's Jigging World' started by fishcrazyoz, Jan 31, 2018.

1. fishcrazyoz

fishcrazyoz Member

Hi,

I'm going to fish the Three Kings Islands for Yellowtail in the future. I'm interested in which Black Hole jigging rods will suit this fishery?

I plan to fish a Jigging Master overhead reel and jigs in the 300-500gm range.

Thanks in advance.

2. porcha

porcha Broscientist

black hole cape cod special 350 should be a good rod for those big fish and big jigs

3. fishcrazyoz

fishcrazyoz Member

Thanks. I was wondering if anyone has used the 250gm model?

I have the 350gm already but wondering if it will be a bit on the heavy side.

4. Viet_Swag

Viet_Swag Active Member

To help give you perspective, I have landed greater amberjack up to 50 lbs on the BH 150 gram 2 piece jigging rods. I think the 250 should be adequate since the jig ratings seem to be underrated. Hope this helps.

5. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Black Hole Cape Cod 150g and 250g jigging rods are recommended if you feel the 350g is a little stiff. In fact, we are going to use light Black Hole Cape Cod Slow Pitch jigging rods for upcoming Three Kings Island trip in April.

6. PE Pete

PE Pete Well-Known Member

350g too heavy??? Nah mate heavy and hard up there bro.... PE8_10 or take plenty of spare spools of braid. IMO

7. hafnor

hafnor Senior Member

a 350 BH will bend good with "only" 10-15 lb of drag. I do not know what you use on yellowtail but I believe both the 250 and 350 will tame any yellowtail that is swimming.

If you fish with very heavy jigs (400gram +) I would go with the 350 in spiral config.

8. PE Pete

Yeah it depends on the conditions if it' blowing or the current ripping 500g is the go. On the king bank on calm day you might get away with less. The other consideration is it' a good idea to have everyone jigging the same weight and drop at the same time.
    As for drag you will need 15kg minimum at times.
    At the Middlesex you will almost certainly need more than 500g on our last trip we were using 800-1200g jigs and 1.5kg steel weights for baits.
    Can' emphasis enough how hard the fish up there fight. I have been skunked with a Stella 8kpg drag fully locked down and half empty spool so over 20kg of drag and didn' get a wind on it.
    On average 3 rods get broken on every trip that' straight from the skippers.
    As I said earlier go heavy and hard..
    Slow Pitch is fun up there did some on my trip in January but you run the risk of loosing multiple fish which the skippers won' tolerate. They will move off a spot if you keep leaving hardware in fish.
    It' a very special place and somewhere you should visit if your into big kings.

Kim and JiggingAK like this.
  9. Fightingfish

Fightingfish Fishing Guru

Sounds BANANAS..I want in!

10. hafnor

hafnor Senior Member

That is just crazy- Kind of too crazy if u ask me.....

So a 25 kilo fish (yellowtail) will easy pull 15KG of drag? Straight from the reel....?

If you look at 100-300 gram jig rods they bend deep even with 5-7 kg of weight (drag). You would have to go with the stoutest rods available to do 15-20 kg of drag. That also means that there is a VERY limited run of reels that can put this out. Probably a JM/maxel, but even the "bigger" accurates (500,600 size) can´t handle that drag pressure.... atleast not for long. I think a JM/maxel also would go ca-putt pretty soon using this drag...

Sorry for my somewhat critical response- I just find this hard to believe.... If it is the case I would definitely go with the heaviest of BH cape cod series rods (450G). Although they offer incredible strength for their class, a 250/350G would be a "noodle" with 10+ kilo drag...

Regarding line you are definitely in trouble as these numbers should indicate a serious line diameter- atleast if you follow the "rule" of usable drag set at 1/4 or 1/3 of actual max breaking strength. So 20 kilo would translate into 45lbs (roughly) That means that you are looking at a minimum of 130# line.... You are in trouble with line capacity with this thick line unless you are using big game reels.....

Please feel free to chime in- I am very eeger to get this explained from another point of view.... I have never fished kingfish so I have no idea. In Norway you can catch 100-150 lb halibut fearly easy using 5-7 kg of drag (From the reel). I know that cold blooded fish don`t pull that hard!

11. PE Pete

Good questions mate...
    So for mechanical jigging we take rods that are rated to 450g - 500g
    Reels I take are Saltiga 6500, Accurate BX600NN DFS Slammer, SOM Blue Heaven 120-lo,for other duties Makaira 50w 2 speed, Talica 25 2 speed
    Braid I took Gosen PE 8 100lb and, Tasline Elite 130lb with 130lb mono topshot and Powerpro hollow 130lb again topshot of 130lb mono.
    Leaders for jigging 210lb Suline shock leader and for deep drops 300lb mono.
    Believe it not there are fish up at the three kings that will still hand you your arse and rip you a new one.....
    My regular sets are all one down in sizes from the above for fishing around Auckland.

tugasangler likes this.
  12. PE Pete

Just a thought consider max drag setting on a BX600 is stated at 15kg take away 100m of line in the water, not sure exactly what the equation is but you know it' increased considerably with a third of the line off the spool. Again I've been skunked using that reel with 100m of line out.. NZ YTK pull hard and fight dirty...

13. hafnor

hafnor Senior Member

Crazy stuff! This is bucketlist :0 Thank you for the insides

14. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I like to go with lighter rods like Black Hole Cape Cod Special 150g - 250g rods.
    I fished in 2005 there and we used heavy 450g - 500g rods for them, but I feel the 150g rod is more fun and can do the job done. It doesn't means you use light drag. I prefer to use drag 20 - 25 lb for them.
    After catching big tuna with the 150g rod, I am pretty positive the lighter rod can handle big fish.

I am fishing Three Kings again in April and we are going to use lighter Black Hole Cape Cod Slow Pitch rods for big kingfish. I know many don't dare to use the lighter rods for big kingfish, but I think the lighter slow pitch rod can handle big kingfish after I watched 100 lb yft using the Black Hole Cape Cod Slow Pitch rods. But I don't recommend the slow pitch rods to fish Three Kings to everyone as you have to know how to fight big fish with light rods. :)

yft using Black Hole Cape Cod 150g rod

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is not the right way to fight big fish, but he still landed decent tuna using Black Hole Cape Cod 150g rod. :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  15. PE Pete

Haha nice one Kil.. I'm sure you and your crew will have heaps of fun up there.
    I think your dead right about slow pitch being viable especially in the hands of experienced guys such as yourself.
    I gave it a go and landed fish and im a rank amateur at SP admittedly not big models.
    I'm really keen to hear how you get on as I'm starting to get more involved in the game of SP.
    Good luck with your trip looking forward to the report.
    By the way which are you on?

16. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

Drag stops fish. Especially around structure. I’ve found rods are useless unless the reel can’t on its own apply sufficient stopping power. Today’s reels don’t seem to have that problem. For me, the rod delivers the offering, assists in enticing the bite and creates lift to recover line after that drag has stopped slipping.

Three Kings on the list but doubt I’ll ever get there with my work schedule until retirement and then won’t likeky have the stamina to truly enjoy that experience. :(

17. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I found we rarely lost big kingfish due to structure there though we lost many due to shark.
    So it seems 20 -25 lb drag is reasonable.
    I used short 8 - 10 oz hammered diamond jigs except for hapuka or giant seabass in deeper water when I fished there in 2005 while other anglers used long jigs. I didn't notice the difference.

I booked the Cascade for 2017, but the trip was postponed to 2018. The Cascade is booked already and we are going to fish on other boat ( Tracker ?).

18. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

Sharks are worse than structure. One is stationary and the other threatens the entire water column. When those are thick. Don’t matter how much drag. They just take you. Although, sometimes with thick enough leader you survive their hide and take them. Most of the time you have no choice but to move. :(

19. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

There are many spots to avoid shark. But we were catching big kingfish in shark infested area. :)

20. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

2005 and 2007 trips

Attached Files:

GARRIGA likes this.