New World Record?

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by tmack9200, Nov 14, 2009.

1. tmack9200

tmack9200 Senior Member

I know this is a tuna site, but figured a few of you might enjoy this..

Back in July I was fishing in the Monster Shark Tournament at Marthas Vinyard, we started off good with two makos but neither were probally going to meet the 200 pounds required to weigh in, so they were released.

Soon after that blue sharks started coming into the slick one after another, things got bit boring, so I rigged up my daughter barbie rod, I put 30lb braid on it with a 50lb mono leader, a piece of bluefish and dropped it in front of a roughly 100 pound blue shark that was all of 6 feet, my buddy starts video taping me and SHARK ON, I have to tell ya, the drags on these $10 combo are pretty impressive, the shark really couldn't take off " probally full from chowing in the slick all morning :D " 45 seconds later I was touching the leader...this is a caught fish:D Then he finally made a good run and I figured I was about to get spooled so I cranked down the drag and stopped it and brought it to the side of the boat again...

Anyway Field and Stream must have found the video on youtube, the author figures it a world record barbie catch :D, we did it for fun and it was pretty funny. I guess I have my 10 seconds of fame, just goes to show you that you may not need to spend thousands in gear to land a nice fish ;)

Link to article and video:

Merwin: 100-Pound Blue Shark Caught on Barbie Rod | Field & Stream

Fishing With Barbie
    Are cartoon-character rods more than just toys?
    Article by John Merwin.

So-called Snoopy rods are the lowest of the low in fishing tackle. They're designed to draw little kids into fishing who could care less about fish but love Tigger and Mickey Mouse. Real fishermen have long ridiculed these things, but the maker of one brand told me he sells about 500,000 of them a year.

It could be interesting, I thought, and probably funny, too, to see for myself what all those kids are fishing with. So I plunked down $9.94 for a Barbie special, hid it in a big shopping bag, and took it home to test it out.

Barbie on the Ocean
    Capt. Terry Nugent trailered his 24-foot Hydra-Sports boat to my motel, ready for a day on the waters off Cape Cod. His Riptide Charters is famous for everything from bluefin tuna to monster bass. I walked over to the boat and reached up to hand him Barbie. "Please put this somewhere safe," I said.

"And just where would you like me to put it?" Nugent asked, eyeing it warily.

A short time later we were on the water and into some schoolie stripers, so I rigged Barbie with a small jig and carefully sharpened the hook. After watching me land one, Nugent, like Wheaton, wanted to fish with the thing.

Barbie handled small stripers well enough that Nugent was clearly impressed. "The thing with this is the challenge," he finally said, "to see if you're enough of a fisherman to actually make it work." As we rigged the boat for the run back, he set Barbie proudly in a rod holder.

2. toppuntawong

toppuntawong -- Tackle Ho --

The rod definitely got a good bend in it...what is it rated? PE12? LOL Congrat on a great accomplishment, looks like I might have to take one of these rods out for jigging trip next...thank you for the inspiration!

3. Albiemanmike

Albiemanmike Senior Member

That's pretty cool T. I guess there are a lot of people out there doing the same thing.

4. aruvio

aruvio Banned

LMAO, LOOKS LIKE A TREVALA IN ACTION.

5. Riptide

Riptide Banned

Thats a blast from the past. I've had some great times over the years with John Merwin, his lovely wife and his brother on the boat. That Barbie trip was just that .....a trip!
    [​IMG]

John's first flyrod bluefin
    [​IMG]

John's brother's first bluefin ever!
    [​IMG]

A sweet bass John got on one of his handmade needlefish lures
    [​IMG]

6. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

I'm doin it. I can beat a hundred.
    we could start a trend, Why, if enough people stand up, it'd be an all-out movement!
    The "I catch big fish with barbie-poles" movement
    thats right...........:cool:

....what

7. tmack9200

tmack9200 Senior Member

I'm doin it. I can beat a hundred.
    we could start a trend, Why, if enough people stand up, it'd be an all-out movement!
    The "I catch big fish with barbie-poles" movement
    thats right...........:cool:

....what

Go for it!!! People will look at you wierd when your fighting a fish, but its all part of the fun! The Montauk guides were hating me last year, my buddy and me were so bored catching stripers/blues and albies that we fished barbie and plugs with no hooks, got some looks :D

Keep in mind, you crank 30 times to gain a foot of line :D

[​IMG]

8. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I found a little kids rod on the beach this summer and took it offshore for a test.:) Heading back inshore, I caught a couple small kingfish with it. After I got off the boat, I handed it off to a little girl that was standing at the dock watching us weigh in fish with her father.:) Pass them off to the kids if you find one.

Attached Files:

9. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

you have big hands. that's a 9500 and a 50#er.:D

10. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Now you know why I can't undo a loop to loop.:) I really need to switch to 16oz beers. My friends say I look funny drinking those little 12oz ones.:D

Attached Files:

11. tmack9200

tmack9200 Senior Member

This is the great thing about the web, my 10 seconds of fame is put on the side burner by a guy who's thumb looks like my big toe :D , the wierdest part is he just happens to have several pictures available of his hands in various poses:p ever think of hand modeling???? :D

12. DenisB

DenisB Senior Member

Watch out when you shake hands
    10 secs of fame might turn into 10 wks in a hand cast.

Sympathies about undoing the loops.............. everything in life balances out , one way or another.
    I guess you have advantages over the rest of us tailing fish

13. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

I guess that pretty well proves that what's important goes like this:

#1 Angler
    #2 Hook, line, leader, bait
    #3 Reel
    #4 Rod

PF

14. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

This is the great thing about the web, my 10 seconds of fame is put on the side burner by a guy who's thumb looks like my big toe :D ,:D

Trust me, you don't want to see a picture of my big toe.:D

Most forums lack a little humor. Humor is important to me. I love to talk fishing and tackle, but if it isn't combined once in a while with a little laugh, then it's not for me. I know two guys that stopped posting because of the lack of humor on forums. Maybe, I should take a break from posting before I lose my sense of humor.

15. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

This is the great thing about the web, my 10 seconds of fame is put on the side burner by a guy who's thumb looks like my big toe :D ,:D

Trust me, you don't want to see a picture of my big toe.:D

Most forums lack a little humor. Humor is important to me. I love to talk fishing and tackle, but if it isn't combined once in a while with a little laugh, then it's not for me. I know two guys that stopped posting because of the lack of humor on forums. I think I'll take a little break from posting before I lose my sense of humor.

16. aruvio

aruvio Banned

Mr. Bill, don't take these guys to heart, you contribute a lot here, and have some interesting twists on things and it would be a shame to see you stop posting over nonsense.

SO what bends, trevala or barbie rod??