360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I met up with a mate in the UK ( David Sharples, a member here ) just before he was off on a trip to Seychelles and of course he brought some toys with him to the Pub for me to have a little look at.

Now David is a supreme tackle tart, much like myself, and I think he knew exactly what he was doing by bringing these little toys to show me, and he knew I was going to catch a classic case of the " I WANT"…..
Well, true to form, I did…..

David had been putting together a "Silly String" ultra light jigging outfit, something that would perfectly suit the jigging off the back of the Mothership on his Seychelles trip, typically jigging in 40m to 60m of water, sometimes as shallow as 15m, mainly for Snapper, small Trevally, Jobfish and all manner of whatever else… something extremely light and small to fish with, but at the same time, something able to still man handle a half decent fish when needed…. And of course, it had to be pretty blinged up as well…

David had aquired himself a Daiwa Ryoga reel…. This little Tank is the Japanese Domestic Market (JDM) version of the Pluton reel… it's a TANK of a little baitcaster size reel, built bulletproof with such extreme power it's a joke… 6.5 kilos of drag…. Absolutely flawless…. Of course Nepps and his Magpie eyes feel immediately in love!
David had added the extended Jigging arm, and the Daiwa RCS soft touch handle knob…. I had to have one…
So I did a little investigating, and decided to treat myself for my 30th birthday… I found out that there is a similar version called the Daiwa Ryoga Bay Jigger, the same reel, but without the cast control, but with upgraded and beefed up gears and internals…. Comes standard with the extended jigging arm, and pushes an incredible 10 Kilos of drag!!!!!

So I pushed the button, added the RCS Soft Touch handle knob, and threw in some YGK Ultra Jigman PE 2 braid, of which the reel takes 200 metres.

David has his Ryoga matched to a Custom built Ripplefisher 5285 which is an absolute thing of beauty…. I wanted something similar, so looked around and I have always wanted a Jigging Master 100 gram stick…. So being the JM agents here in South Africa, I added one to our latest order from the great guys at Jigging Master….

It arrived as a birthday present from my awesome partners and friends at JigStar Africa, Roy and Linda, and I cannot thank them enough for this incredible gift…. You guys rock!!!

To say the outfit is insane is an understatement! Its truly mind blowing when you put this set up into perspective on how light it is, how skinny the blank is, how small the reel is, but how much power it has……

After seeing David's set up and his report on Sey and how well the set up performed, and reading Blaasoppie's report on his ultra light Blue Rose set up, and seeing it in action, and having a good couple of discussions with FTF about his ideas on chasing decent fish on silly string,and Kilsong's report and pics of a 15 kilo AJ on the rod, Jimi the Fish smashing a 30 kilo plus Yellowtail on his JM 150, I am so stoked with this set up,..…. I can't wait to put it to work on some of our Cape Yellowtail, and having a blast catching Snoek ( a kind of giant Snake Makeral), Fishing heavy soft plastics for Geelbek( African Weakfish ) and Kob( another Drum species which gets to 150 lbs here ), pretty much anything really…. My ultimate goal would be to land a 20 kilo plus Longfin Tuna on it…. If I can convince my skipper to let me drop a jig into a school of Longies when we next in the deep on this outfit, I'll do it for sure!!!

SO its one more weapon added to the arsenal of excessive tackle, but I love it and looking forward to testing it as soon as I have a chance to finally get on the bl00dy water!!!!

A couple pics…

Here is a shot showing how skinny this blank is. That's the butt section where it leaves the foregrip… and this blank has been tested to 10 kilos of deadlift!!!

So then I roped the missus into some early morning duties so I could shoot some load pics of the set up:

http://i47.tinypic.com/xfzrk4.jpg
This was at about 4 kilos of drag…

http://i49.tinypic.com/34e3k0z.jpg
And about 5 or 6 kilos…. The rod has plenty more to give, as does the reel, but the missus had just woken up, didn't want to push her to hard! 

http://i50.tinypic.com/219au51.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/ogm1ds.jpg

So to say I'm stoked is an understatement….

Proof the JM 100 can handle some serious fish. Here is designer Pony Liu of Jigging Master taking on a 20 kilo plus Dogtooth Tuna on his JM 100:

Next I'll be shooting the new JigStar 2010 Kojak specials…. I wish I'd had the time this morning, as these new rods are so insane its nuts… the bling and design and build quality is incredible…. I don't want to give too much away, so I'll wait till I can post the pics, but the JSR 2010 Kojaks are sex on a stick!!!!

·
213 Posts
Shoot brotha! I'm in Afghanistan living in a dust bowl at the moment. I won't see water until at least March! Looking forward to any reports you post using this rig.

·
857 Posts
this rod looks amazing.. i have been looking to get a 100g ( hope for x mas from parents :) ) just seems like it would be a blast... tight lines

·
1,448 Posts
nice to hear from you. long time... setup is perfect. this year i will replace my light trevala with a JM 100g. maybe custom, spin version though.

·
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the comments guys, it is a superb little set up...

Stryper - Not completely sure on the weight of the rod, but the reel weighs 345 grams... Its a little tank! \

Rod can't weigh much more than 250grams I think.... but will try check.. JM site doesn't have weight specs, but maybe Kil will know...

All I know is that its LIGHT!!!

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
The weight of the rod is 8 1/2 oz. If they don't use trigger reel seat, the weight of the rod can be as light as 7 - 7 1/2 oz.

Just fun to play with a light rod for big fish. I am going to challenge for 100l lbs tuna with the JM 100g rod to land within 10 minutes next year. :)

·
726 Posts
It is so "Light & Nice" you can Jig & Drink at the same time.Kil let me use it and I tried it but it was so light I was worried.I am used to spinning set-up.
The blank is as small as a pencil. Kil caught a nice Almaco with it and I believe Almaco fights harder than A.J..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts