New to this forum with a down under report.

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by Gozz, Jun 21, 2008.

1. Gozz

Gozz Senior Member

Hy guys.
    I live in Australia "Melbourne" and I thought I'd share a report and some pic's so you can see what we down here.

On this day we where at a place called Port Mac about a 7hour drive from Melb,here we chase mainly Southern fin tuna which can range from 8kg all the way to 150kg.
    There are much bigger fish out there of around 350kg but due to overfishing by the pro's you don't see anything like that any more.

We where very lucky this particular morning because as we where heading out o the shelf around 35km from the boat ramp when we saw some birds working only 7km from the ramp we set out a couple lures behind the boat and with in minutes we had a triple hook up and our friends had 5 rods go off all at once in there boat.
    After 20 min we had all 3 fish in the boat and our mates had 3 out of 5 in theres.
    My mate holding one of the fish approx 18kg.
    [​IMG]
    After a few more on the TLD 50's and Tiagra 50's we thought we'd let my little
    spheros 8000 have a go.
    The fish pushed the stock standard 8000 to the max but it came out on top with a heap of fish under it's belt.
    [​IMG]

A couple more photos of the day.
    We where gaffing a fish one side and our mate fighting a fish on the other side.
    [​IMG]
    We ended up keeping 6 fish as wee all love fresh tuna and so do our family's.
    We let 3 go free,our friend had 15 fish for the day and kept 6,they let the rest go.
    [​IMG]

A tuna on a rapala x-rap.
    [​IMG]

A couple of weeks before this trip we fished a place called Portland which is 1.5hrs closer to home but the shelf is 75km further.
    The fish where bigger and this one went 35kg.
    [​IMG]

2. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

welcome to 360tuna. very nice haul, you guys down under definately have some good fishing. how did the rapala x rap hold up to the tuna?

3. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Welcome aboard. It looks like you still have a great fishery there.

4. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

Gotta love gettin into fish 4 miles off the ramp. I would imagine the price of fuel is affecting fishing down under too. Welcome to the board and really great trip man.

Fred

5. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Welcome and nice report!

6. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

Welcome to the board, mate.
    Great pics...thanks for posting.

Do you ever jig for those tuna?

7. Gozz

Gozz Senior Member

Thanks for the welcome guys.
    Yeah fuel is $1.80 p/l which is about $7.50 a gallon I think.
    Thank god for 4 strokes.
    The rapala x-rap is a beautiful swimming lure and tracks really well at up to 30feet.we run it at about 15feet.
    It handled the school sized fish with out a problem,fish have been caught down here up to 60kg without giving way but thats about the biggest we'd go before changing hooks to a beefier set.
    Yeah 4 miles,we saw a boat hooked up even closer as we where heading back to the ramp.

8. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

My welcome as well, Gozz. Those of us who are Texans keep looking at your pictures wondering where the offshore oil rigs are.

Russ

9. hatidua

hatidua Senior Member

Good to hear the X-Rap did alright. I found a place that had them on sale recently and bought a dozen to try on the yellowfin in Mexico. I imagine those Southern Bluefin are tasty :D

10. Gozz

Gozz Senior Member

My welcome as well, Gozz. Those of us who are Texans keep looking at your pictures wondering where the offshore oil rigs are.

Russ

Ha ha ha it does look like a good place for it.:)

11. Gozz

Gozz Senior Member

Good to hear the X-Rap did alright. I found a place that had them on sale recently and bought a dozen to try on the yellowfin in Mexico. I imagine those Southern Bluefin are tasty :D

Yep you'll love them straight out of the box,I've been thinking of replacing the trebles this single 7/0 hook mainly for C/R.
    Oh and yes they taste awesome anyway you cook them.

12. hatidua

hatidua Senior Member

Oh and yes they taste awesome anyway you cook them.

I'm one of those oddballs that doesn't cook 'em - wasabi and soy is all I need with a thick slab of chilled tuna :D

13. Gozz

Gozz Senior Member

I'm one of those oddballs that doesn't cook 'em - wasabi and soy is all I need with a thick slab of chilled tuna :D

Yep thats us too,we eat heaps of tuna while cleaning them at the boat ramp,all the on lookers almost throw up.:eek:

Where going to start fishing the east coast next year when the big yellow fin come in,see how they taste raw.

14. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Thanks for the welcome guys.
    Yeah fuel is $1.80 p/l which is about $7.50 a gallon I think.
    Thank god for 4 strokes.
    The rapala x-rap is a beautiful swimming lure and tracks really well at up to 30feet.we run it at about 15feet.
    It handled the school sized fish with out a problem,fish have been caught down here up to 60kg without giving way but thats about the biggest we'd go before changing hooks to a beefier set.
    Yeah 4 miles,we saw a boat hooked up even closer as we where heading back to the ramp.

I am only afraid that it is not heavy enough to cast.

15. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Yep thats us too,we eat heaps of tuna while cleaning them at the boat ramp,all the on lookers almost throw up.:eek:

Well yeah!!!!! What's your point, Gozz? :) In fact, I remember lot's of times I felt sick and needed to puke and couldn't. If I had known then that all I had to do was eat a piece of freakin' raw fish, things would have been fine. Most of the people on this board eat their tuna raw.

One thing's for sure--if it doesn't make you sick the way it slides down, it will later when all the critters that live in there get going on you.

I remember an old story about a guy in a bar who lost a bet and had to drink the spittoon dry. When he had finished, his buddies asked him how he could possibly have done it--he replied--"Wasn't so bad, really. It all went down in one strand!"

But raw fish--that's another matter, my friend. :eek:

Uncle "Cook 'em 'Til they Fall Apart" Russ

16. Gozz

Gozz Senior Member

I am only afraid that it is not heavy enough to cast.

I don't think you'll have a problem casting mate,I've never casted it but it feels fairly heavy and ok to cast.

17. Gozz

Gozz Senior Member

Well yeah!!!!! What's your point, Gozz? :) In fact, I remember lot's of times I felt sick and needed to puke and couldn't. If I had known then that all I had to do was eat a piece of freakin' raw fish, things would have been fine. Most of the people on this board eat their tuna raw.

One thing's for sure--if it doesn't make you sick the way it slides down, it will later when all the critters that live in there get going on you.

I remember an old story about a guy in a bar who lost a bet and had to drink the spittoon dry. When he had finished, his buddies asked him how he could possibly have done it--he replied--"Wasn't so bad, really. It all went down in one strand!"

But raw fish--that's another matter, my friend. :eek:

Uncle "Cook 'em 'Til they Fall Apart" Russ

Good point Uncle Russ I never looked at it that way.
    You know wee even eat squid tentacles raw sometimes.

18. cheers

cheers Guest

Gday fellas,

I'm a mate of Gozz's and am actually the handsome guy in the first pic holding the fish... ;) :D That was actually my first trip out tuna fishing and to land 3 fish within a few hours - I was stoked!

Have now also caught the tuna bug and am searching for gear to sell to fund my new found obsession! ;) Awesome site you have here, look forward to visiting often!

19. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Gozz: I love squid tentacles--boiled then fried in corn meal. I do not like them wriggling around in my stomach looking for Sperm whales to eat. :)

Russ

20. Gozz

Gozz Senior Member

Gozz: I love squid tentacles--boiled then fried in corn meal. I do not like them wriggling around in my stomach looking for Sperm whales to eat. :)

Russ

I love that feeling,na just jocking.
    How big do the squid get where you guys fish.
    Down here a 3kg squid is a good one,I'll see if I can dig up some photos of a couple.