New to the forum

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Castmaster, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Castmaster

Castmaster Senior Member

Hi guys, new to the site and just want to say hello. I'm from SoCal and I'm getting into the the jigging craze. Although in SoCal deep jigging is not as popular as live bait or traditional yo-yoing. I plan to start concentrating on jigging the local banks in our area and hopefully I won't be disappointed. Awesome forum by the way, fish on!

R,
    Andre

2. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Hi guys, new to the site and just want to say hello. I'm from SoCal and I'm getting into the the jigging craze. Although in SoCal deep jigging is not as popular as live bait or traditional yo-yoing. I plan to start concentrating on jigging the local banks in our area and hopefully I won't be disappointed. Awesome forum by the way, fish on!

R,
    Andre
    Welcome aboard, Andre.
    Even though West Coast fishermen are dedicated to live bait fishing, there are many fishermen using irons. In fact, I learned tuna are very conscious of jig(iron) sizes on the long range boat out of San Diego about 15-20 years ago

3. Castmaster

Castmaster Senior Member

Thanks Ksong. Yup I know that the traditional yo-yo kind of jigging at mid depths are also quite popular. I want to try out jigging deeper. I'm also a big fan of the Lucanus jig, they've been a consistent producer for nearshore fish like sand bass, rockfish, and sharks. The only issue I have with the Lucanus is the stinger hooks, they're quite on the skinny side. Lost a couple of monsters when I was in Cabo due to broken stinger hooks of the Lucanus. Since then, I've changed the stinger hooks to much beefier gorilla hooks.

4. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Thanks Ksong. Yup I know that the traditional yo-yo kind of jigging at mid depths are also quite popular. I want to try out jigging deeper. I'm also a big fan of the Lucanus jig, they've been a consistent producer for nearshore fish like sand bass, rockfish, and sharks.
    How do you work Lucanus jigs ? Do you jig with them as you jig with other lures or you just wait until rod tips go down as Shimono guys suggest ?
    The results of Lucanus jigs are mixed here.

5. Castmaster

Castmaster Senior Member

Since I've been using the Lucanus extensively, I found that it is extremely effective when the hooks are tipped with small cut pieces of squid or Gulp. I mostly drift when fishing the Lucanus. I just drop the jig to the bottom and let the drift and rocking of the boat impart the action on the jig. Seldom do I actively jig the Lucanus via drop, slow retrieve, then drop again after a few cranks as recommended by Shimano. I only do this when there's absolutely no current and drift and the water flat. The Lucanus to be effective should always be in motion, never just laying on the bottom. I found that the natural drift and rocking of the boat impart a more natural motion on the jig. Another very important technique when fishing the Lucanus is not to yank the rod. Most of the time you'll see the tap tap tap of the rod tip as the fish start to nibble on the skirt before committing to a full on bite. When you see this, just start reeling in the jig slowly and the fish will hook itself. So it's important that you use braid main line and mono or fluoro leader so you can feel and see the slightest nibbles. Once you get the hang of it you'll never leave without a Lucanus in your tackle bag. Hot colors are chartreuse, pink, red, gold/black, and gold/green. Below are some pics of bottom fish we caught locally using the Lucanus.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Thanks Ksong. Yup I know that the traditional yo-yo kind of jigging at mid depths are also quite popular. I want to try out jigging deeper. I'm also a big fan of the Lucanus jig, they've been a consistent producer for nearshore fish like sand bass, rockfish, and sharks. The only issue I have with the Lucanus is the stinger hooks, they're quite on the skinny side. Lost a couple of monsters when I was in Cabo due to broken stinger hooks of the Lucanus. Since then, I've changed the stinger hooks to much beefier gorilla hooks.

What size gorilla hooks are you using to replace the lucanus ones? I assume you are re-making your own double hook setup similar to the shimano ones for lucanus?

7. Castmaster

Castmaster Senior Member

I use Owner gorilla 1.0 for the lighter weights and 2.0 for the heavier ones. for the stinger line, I use 160lb spectra line, and shrink wrap the connections. Works very well.

Pic of a battered Lucanus after a dogfight with a monster in Cabo. You can see one of the stinger hooks is broken.
    [​IMG]

8. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Thanks, I'm gonna go make some to replace mine.

9. NEMO

NEMO Member

10. Bolo

Bolo Senior Member

Welcome Andre. Thank you for sharing your experience on the Shimano Lucanus jigs. I always pass them by at Bass Pro and always wonder if they are worth the money. Ill definitly give it a try.

11. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I have bunch of Lucanus jigs and Lucanus rods in stock and I was wondering whether I could sell them. :) Jigs similar to Lucanus jigs will come from Jigging Master soon, but with bigger single hooks as they are pretty popular in Europe.

12. papio

papio Senior Member

Welcome aboard Castmaster. I caught my first Yellowfin on a slow sinking Tady and still maintain several cal type irons for when surface bite cools off.

This is a great site. Enjoy!

13. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

14. Castmaster

Castmaster Senior Member

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. The good thing about the Lucanus is you can do the butterfly jigging while on the drift with one rod while at the same time having the Lucanus jig at the bottom with another rod on the rod holder. In this way you have double the chance of hooking a fish. My wifey caught a giant humboldt squid in Cabo using the Lucanus. I've also experienced many double hook-ups fishing the Lucanus locally here in SoCal.

The wifey with a bendo hooked to a humboldt squid using the Lucanus. Her favorite fishing rod is the Kencor Panga with a Cabo PT 80 spinning reel.
    [​IMG]

The humboldt squid finally boated
    [​IMG]

Pics of double hookups
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shark hooked with the red Lucanus.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

Castmaster- welcome to 360tuna!
    I'm coming home to SoCal tomorrow for the holidays (Yorba Linda)
    Bringing my gear & need someone to hook up with. be there sunday night.
    PM me here!
    tight lines
    -Brian