New to Rod Building....Need Help

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by shooter75, Apr 11, 2009.

1. shooter75

shooter75 Member

Hey Guys,

Can someone point me in the right direction for a power wrapper for a newby? Id like to spend under $300 if possible. i found a Pacific Bay RodSmith Power Wrapper:Anglers Workshop - Pacific Bay RodSmith Power Wrapper
    Again I am new to this so any info would be wonderful.

Thanks
    Eric

2. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Hey Guys,

Can someone point me in the right direction for a power wrapper for a newby? Id like to spend under $300 if possible. i found a Pacific Bay RodSmith Power Wrapper:Anglers Workshop - Pacific Bay RodSmith Power Wrapper
    Again I am new to this so any info would be wonderful.

Thanks
    Eric

Most get started with a hand wrapper and then move up to a power wrapper.
    Here is a starter kit,Cabela's Premium Rod Building Set but you can make the stands yourself.

d-a

3. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

Like Doug said, you don't have to... But if you want to spend 3 bills, get the next step up RW3-XL. You can get it right now from Acidrod.com for $299.90. Similar to RW-3L but you get the upgraded chuck/pulley system too.

These show up on eBay all the time. If you have some time, you may be able to find a better deal on the same wrapper under different names. When searching check the pix closely and look for "deluxe aluminum chuck" in the description. There are several different companies that sell this same wrapper.

This is the one I got because I wanted one tool to turn handles, wrap and dry. There are benefits to having a separate lathe and additional dryers. But if you need something now and want an all-in-one, I think you'll really like this one.

Later,
    Jason

4. shooter75

shooter75 Member

Thanks Doug and Jason. Initially I was looking at the Flex Coat starter kit for $170, but hen started thinking am I going to outgrow this one and have to spend another $300 for a better wrapper. I was thinking why not get the better one off the bat and save money in the long run. Is it usually easier to learn on a hand wrapper?

Eric

5. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

If you're not in a big hurry keep an eye on the rodbuilding and classified forums on the various fishing forums. I got a like new RodSmith from Allcoast a few years ago for half price.

6. shooter75

shooter75 Member

No not really in a hurry, just picking peoples brains on rod building and the proper componets for it. Is there any specific books or dvds that you guys could recommend that would help me?

7. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

I still have to slow down and hand turn for detail stuff... But the power wrapper is really nice for being able to shape your own grips and is a huge benefit when doing long under-wraps.

The way I figured it, by the time I bought a corded drill, (only own cordless:eek: ) bought or built a lathe setup, a manual wrapper, and a dryer it was <$100 diff.

Not sure of the best DVDs/books but there are plenty of free videos and tutorials in "Rod Building 101" section of Mudhole. Also check out Rodbuilding.org :: rodboard for tons of searchable threads...

Jason

8. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

No not really in a hurry, just picking peoples brains on rod building and the proper componets for it. Is there any specific books or dvds that you guys could recommend that would help me?

You can find "Custom Rod Building With Doc Ski" here:

Rod Building Books, Videos & Software

When it comes to offshore rods, this is the best intro I've seen.