New to poppin

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by liteliner, Aug 24, 2009.

1. liteliner

liteliner Guest

Hey guys. Im from southern california and recently got hooked on tuna popping after reading a few articles and watching some videos from youtube.

Im getting ready to buy my first tuna popping rod but I had a few questions.:confused: This is what I had in mind after reading through the forums on here. A shimano stella 10000 SW on a Tuna Sniper rod. Popping is not a big thing here in cali and spinning reels are known as coffee grinders and shunned upon. For what Im not sure. Out here in california the biggest tuna would probably not pass a 100#'s and the majority probably wouldnt even be 40#'s. Would my setup in mind be a little bit of an overkill? Would I be able to get by with like a Phenix spinning rod rated 20-40 on an 8000 stella? WOuld the lighter setup still be a good popping setup? So many questions but I will leave it at this for now.:D

Any help is much appreciated from this newb.

2. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

The new 08 Stella 10000SW and 8000SW are the same size, get the 10000SW for capacity on line. I don't see why the tuna sniper would be overkill for tuna to 100lbs, go for the 40-60lb tuna sniper. Spinning reels are better for casting to tuna as you will likely not get birdnests on your reel as compared to an overhead one if you mess up, IMO.

3. hamptonsurf

hamptonsurf Senior Member

If a sniper and a stella are in your budget, go for them, seems like a win win to me.

4. Bret

Bret Senior Member

tuna sniper is the way to go.. we caught a yft that weighed in at 101bs this past weekend on one.. they are great rods.. The stellas are great too.. I have the 20,000 and sometimes wish I had the 10,000.

5. liteliner

liteliner Guest

Thanks for the help and suggestions guys.

The new 08 Stella 10000SW and 8000SW are the same size, get the 10000SW for capacity on line. I don't see why the tuna sniper would be overkill for tuna to 100lbs, go for the 40-60lb tuna sniper. Spinning reels are better for casting to tuna as you will likely not get birdnests on your reel as compared to an overhead one if you mess up, IMO.

I was worried about overkill since the majority of the tuna we get here in cali are 20-40# average. We get a mixture of yellowfin, bluefin, albacore, skipjack, and dodo's.

I looked on ebay and there is a hundred dollar price difference on the 8000 and 10000 Stella SW. Could i just buy an Stella 8000 and buy a 10000 spool?

6. Jesse Lockowitz

Jesse Lockowitz Member

if you try and buy a 10k spool after buying the stella 8k, for the price, you mide as well just buy the 10k in the first place for what a sw10k spool would cost ya.

Jesse

7. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

Dude- welcome to the forum, maybe you could think of another handle??????:D
    these guys are all spot-on in their recommendations.
    I grew up out there and rarely saw an albie or bluefin locally over about 40#
    you might go w/ a lighter rod if you can find one, but the 50# OTI sniper is a hell of a good start. the only issue is $$$. popping rods get spendy quick.
    Look here: Angler's Pro Shop
    and Lamiglas makes some nice 9' , 12-25# & 17-30# long rods Lamiglas
    so does St Croix. St. Croix Fishing Rods - Spinning, Casting, Saltwater, Fly
    Oh, and don't worry about those Cali haters, they've been behind the curve for a LOOONG time now.

tight lines
    -Brian

8. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

FWIW, I used to pitch iron to yellowtail & such on a Calstar conventional
    WC-270c. a little heavy nowadays, but it's classed perfectly for what you want, affordable, and available in a spinning model.
    as you can see, there's lots of options that will work for you.

9. egluck

egluck Senior Member

For smaller tuna (under 100 pounds) go with the Ocean Revolution Black Devil 100. With bigger tuna (100+ pounds) go for the Black Devil 200.

Angler's Pro Shop

They have blanks of these rods too if you want to make a custom.

10. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

I would say OTI 50lb Tuna Sniper with 10000SW is perfect setup for what you're targeting,
    You will not overkill for the setup and will not under gun if you happened catch the big one.

And put the extra money on lure collection.......
    You will hardly catching fish on high dollar setup if you don't have good selection of lure......