New to BFT Jigging Looking For Rod Advice

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by Strapalap, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Strapalap

Strapalap New Member

I am new to BFT jigging in the northeast and want to buy my own Jigging setup within a budget. I have been using a friend's 6' Heavy Trevala Spinner with a 20000 Saragosa. I have been reading these forums for a while trying to find a good spinning rod for jigging with no interest popping. I have read that a shorter rod is better so at this point I have a couple rods with some concerns for each.

The first is the Trevala XXH 5'6 or the Trevala F XXH rod. I was origianlly going to go either of these but I have read lots of concerns about bigger fish. Last year the 6'H lost a 150+ BFT at boat but was very long fight and I read concerns on Trevala for larger fish fight times.

I then looked into OTI and the Star Plasma 52XH. I have been heavily leaning to the Star but concerned about 7ounce minimum recommended lure weight. My ultimate question would be will using lighter Jigs be a deal breaker and would a 20000 saragosa hold up fine or should I look to upgrade to the 25000. Stella is out of price range. Any advice would greatly appreciated seeing the Star Plasma is discontinued and I would have to order elsewhere. Thanks

2. Viet_Swag

Viet_Swag Active Member

I don’t think the heavy action should impair jig action; however, I’ve only used the Plasma XH with knife jigs (~250g) for AJ not BFT. The lighter jigs would just have a more aggressive action when stroked upward, thus giving you a longer fall in the drop. Also, I thought Star Rods still manufactured the Plasma series jigging rods.

3. Viet_Swag

Viet_Swag Active Member

You can also look at the sticky thread started by ReelMe in this section of the forum. He has bendo pics of the Star Plasma jigging rods underload, so you can get a sense of the rod action and power.

4. Strapalap

Strapalap New Member

That is where I actually changed my mind looking at the star rod and his comments. Very impressed with it and was just looking for some input of people that have a much better understanding than I do. And I appreciate it.

5. stingofish

stingofish Sponsors

Where in the NorthEast are you looking to be fishing?
    NY, and NJ typically have one class of fish, Ma. has a different class of fish.
    I know it sounds silly but location will tell you what set up will be best and most fun. I live in NJ and spend a good amount of time in Ma. and the tackle to fish in Ma would be no fun to fish in NJ, and the tackle in NJ would not work well for the fish you see in Ma.

Kim likes this.
  6. Strapalap

Strapalap New Member

I am also in the NY NJ area. Last year mainly averaged 50-75lb BFT. Couple over 100 as well. I am really between the Plasma Heavy or Extra Heavy. I know on the Trevala last year a 150+ that pulled hook a the boat the fight was way to long and felt the Trevala Heavy 6' just under performed.

7. stingofish

stingofish Sponsors

okay if you are set, you are set... but there is a big difference between a trevala and most rods not sure you can use it as a bench mark... enjoy the sport... it is a great and rewarding activity

8. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

My Trevala 6ft handled a 200# class Goliath but I wouldn’t want to do that again. I also have the 58XXH. Neither would be a choice for fish that pull 15# plus drag.

No budget. OBX 400. Can dance a 170g to 400g jig and handle 22-26# drag. Very light for class rating so easy to fish all day.

Budget. OTI 400 for 225-400g jigs or OTI 500 for 325-500g jigs. The 400 can handle 26# drag and the 500 to 35#.

These rod options won’t over power 75# fish but can hold their own against 200# anything. The OBX is sweet. :)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    Viet_Swag likes this.
  9. bnz

bnz Just a guy who likes to fish

Up to 100 lbs you have a lot of options. Once you start getting over 100 lbs I wouldn’t mess around, get a rod known to handle that class of fish (generally higher end).

10. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

im in PA. just over the waltwhitman bridge, have a few setups, good for most fish in our area, and OBX, some used stuff, and new...lots of choices.

Kim likes this.
  11. Firstblood

Firstblood Member

I have a spinal 400g rod in very good condition. I will let it go for 200$ plus shipping. Perfect jigging rod for the NE.