New Texas State Record Shark

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports' started by MrBill, May 26, 2007.

1. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

This shark was caught by a firefighter in the Aransas bay. The waters are only about 8' deep in the bay. He caught it on a Friday afternoon 5/18/07. They had to store the fish in the walkin cooler at Fishermans Wharf until a scale arrived. It is a new state record and bay record 513lbs!!! They couldn't get it in the boat. I took two hours just to tow the shark to the boat ramp after beight caught.

Bull Shark, 9' 513 lbs
    Caught in Aransas Bay
    Previous state record 508 caught in the gulf
    50 lb test, Penn Senator 114HL
    17' Kenner Pro Skiff boat
    Catcher: Randall Rickerson, Boat Captain: Mike Celaya
    2 hour 10 minute fight
    2 hour and 30 minute tow time to dock

Attached Files:

2. gman

gman Senior Member

Did you know if it was pregnant, looks it? Thats a great catch especially on 50# test

3. jaredchasteen

jaredchasteen Senior Member

it was pregnant darn. I guess someene has screwed up the ecosystem. just kidding. GREAT KILL, all the trout fishermen owe that guy a beer.

4. gman

gman Senior Member

I was just asking becuase it is unsually thick, Ive never seen one so fat before and Ive seen and caught alot. I hear stories around POC all the time on peoples stringers getting torn off. LOL

5. Pope

Pope Senior Member

Those bulls will eat way more stingrays than trout. I worry about rays more than sharks when I wade.

6. HOskins78

HOskins78 Guest

Wow.....we go swimming in that bay all the time!!

7. fishxtreme

fishxtreme Member

it was pregnant darn. I guess someene has screwed up the ecosystem. just kidding. GREAT KILL, all the trout fishermen owe that guy a beer.

Geeese Louweeese, All the wade fishermen owe that guy a bottle of Johnny Walker!

I guess I need to to stay in the boat from now on. I've fished those waters for years. :eek:

Congrats to Capt and angler!