New Stella 8000SW spool problem?

Discussion in 'Reel Repair' started by erezf, May 3, 2009.

1. erezf

erezf Member

Hi guys,
    I've the new Stella 8000SW for 6 months, Last week I notice that the line come out of the spool in a weird way,
    I thought it was the type of fish that couldn't pool line constantly but today I had 2 * 50lb Amberjacks and I had the same problem,
    A friend of mine had the same issue on 8000PG JDM few months ago
    (he got a new spool as replacment)
    Do you know of any kind of a problem with the new Stella spool?

Here is a short video you can hear the reel is jerking while I was jigging/hooked.
    http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/11/15/1585875/stella%20problem%20s.wmv
    Thanks for helping

PS:
    I already had some big AJ's on this reel without any problem.
    I bought the reel as new and never service the reel.

2. ToneyC

ToneyC Senior Member

I haven't read about any issues with the new Stellas. In the video it looks like your reel has a very jerky drag. You could try rebuilding your drag stack and put a light coat of Cals grease on the drag washers. If the grease doesn't help you should consider sending it in for service or getting another spool.

3. alantani

alantani Senior Member

yeah, it looks like the drags are sticking badly. here is the schematic for your reel.......

http://fish.shimano.com/media/fishing/SAC/techdocs/en/Saltwater_Spinning/09STL8000SW_v1_m56577569830654491.pdf

you have four drag washers in this reel. three are accessable from the top of the spool (key #'s 12391 and 12394) and one is accessable from underneath (key #12397). from the looks of video, i would guess that you do not have a greased carbon fiber drag system. if that is the case, an upgrade would probably fix at least part of the problem. if you can measure these drag washers, i'm certain we can find a replacement. alan

4. erezf

erezf Member

yeah, it looks like the drags are sticking badly. here is the schematic for your reel.......

http://fish.shimano.com/media/fishing/SAC/techdocs/en/Saltwater_Spinning/09STL8000SW_v1_m56577569830654491.pdf

you have four drag washers in this reel. three are accessable from the top of the spool (key #'s 12391 and 12394) and one is accessable from underneath (key #12397). from the looks of video, i would guess that you do not have a greased carbon fiber drag system. if that is the case, an upgrade would probably fix at least part of the problem. if you can measure these drag washers, i'm certain we can find a replacement. alan
    Thanks alantani,
    I'll wait to hear from Shimano and if they don't have any solution I'll take yours,
    By the way don't you think that I should get the drag system from Shimano?
    The reel is new, Why to upgrade?

5. alantani

alantani Senior Member

here is some light reading for you.......

Pacific Coast Sportfishing - Alan's Workbench

There are several different drag systems that are commonly used in reels today. Their smoothness, this lack of “start up,” can sometimes be the difference between landing a fish or not. I service an average of about a thousand reels a year and I think I’ve pretty much seen every drag material that’s ever been used. Remember, I would define a “smooth drag” as having less than 10% “start up.” If you have a weight that is equivalent to your drag setting and hang that weight on the reel, a smooth drag would allow that weight to drop 1 foot every 5 seconds. A “reliable drag” would then be a smooth drag that would never become sticky as the reel ages. Simple enough, so let’s see what’s out there.

Leather was used as a drag material in the early Mitchells from France, the early Ocean City’s, the early Penn’s and many others. It did not perform well. Over the years, many different materials were developed, including felt, particle board, hard carbon and some unique composites. They all became sticky over time. Coarse woven carbon fiber, their famous HT-100, eventually became the drag material of choice for Penn, but this material would stick if it became wet, corroded or oily. Shimano took it one step further by adding pure teflon grease and found that their greased carbon fiber drag system never failed. Yes, that is never, as in not ever, not once, zero. This wet drag system has now found its way into the flagship two speed lever drag reels of many manufacturers, including Penn, Daiwa and Okuma. The engineers at Accurate used dry carbon fiber in 1996 with their first reels, then added Cal’s Drag Grease in 2007. They also now enjoy a zero failure rate with their drag systems.

Greased carbon fiber is only now starting to show up in star drag reels. Pro Gear used these drag washers in the final runs of their Albacore Special and Classic Series reels, but the company is now gone. Daiwa is using greased carbon is their new Saltist 20 and 30. Okuma has a Carbonite drag washer, which is also greased carbon fiber. This is admittedly a short list, but I believe that it will be getting longer in the near future. If your reel has a dry carbon fiber drag system and has become sticky, the simple addition of a pure teflon grease is an option. If your reel has a different type of drag material, your local tackle shop may be able to install carbon fiber. Upgrades such as this usually involve adapting a Penn HT-100 or an aftermarket Carbontex drag washer. The addition of a Cal’s Drag Grease will then give your star drag reel the same smoothness and reliability enjoyed by the most expensive two speed lever drag reels.

6. erezf

erezf Member

Alan,
    I'm impress from your knowledge,
    I'll wait till end of the week before I open the spool.
    Thanks

7. DanS

DanS Senior Member

Alan,
    I'm impress from your knowledge,
    I'll wait till end of the week before I open the spool.
    Thanks

erezf:

Alan Tani is the global reel repair expert. ;)

8. ToneyC

ToneyC Senior Member

This is true...

9. alantani

alantani Senior Member

well, thank you, but there are many who are much more knowledgeable than i. i just wish that we could get them to talk to us........

10. cabosandinh

cabosandinh Moderator

Alan,

is worth upgrading the drag on TN-14 ?

11. alantani

alantani Senior Member

Alan, is worth upgrading the drag on TN-14 ?

yes. i'd clean out the bearings, replace the drag washers with carbon fiber, and bolt on a bigger handle grip. alan

trinidad 30

12. cabosandinh

cabosandinh Moderator

yes. i'd clean out the bearings, replace the drag washers with carbon fiber, and bolt on a bigger handle grip. alan

trinidad 30

thanks, Alan!

I will send several your way

13. erezf

erezf Member

Ok guys,
    Found the problem,
    WATER in the spool!
    I measured the drag washers
    the 2 small ones are 26mm * 5mm
    And the bigger one is 29mm * 7 mm

Attached Files:

14. alantani

alantani Senior Member

can you tell us what the thickness of the drag washers is? match them up with something on this list. penn ht-100 drag washer dimensions if you have trouble locating drag washers, please let me know. also, check the one on the underside of the spool. alan

15. erezf

erezf Member

can you tell us what the thickness of the drag washers is? match them up with something on this list. penn ht-100 drag washer dimensions if you have trouble locating drag washers, please let me know. also, check the one on the underside of the spool. alan
    Alan,
    It's less then one millimeter,
    Can you give me a link to online store for new drag washers?
    Thanks

16. ToneyC

ToneyC Senior Member

I believe there are going to be two drag washers on the uderside of the spool. My Stella 20K has two. The washers are not completely round though. They are notched to fit inside the spool. I'll have to post a pic to show you what I mean.

17. alantani

alantani Senior Member