360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Just a guy who likes to fish
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to an unfortunate event where my temple reef levitate was snapped when the rod was handed off to someone who did not know how to use the rod properly and they tried to lift a fish into the boat with it I am now in the market for a new slow pitch rod. Looking for recommendations on what some of you like using now, especially if you’ve had experience with the levitates.

· Retired Member
5,857 Posts
I hate that feeling of I wish I didn’t ask for help.
Curious on what size levitate broke and what size are you looking for? My 3 favorites in no particular order are DeepLiner, Hearty Rise, and Poseidon. The DeepLiner logicals and Poseidons, as you know are true slow pitch rods. So they are subject to that occasional wish I didn’t do that lift. The HR may not be considered a true slow pitch rod but they are great rods using any slow pitch technique. The big plus with HR as we all heard is their lifting power. A action that is a No-No with other SPJ rod companies. I don’t think you’re to far from me, so, If you’re up for a ride, I can loan you use a HR for your next trip. I have doubles so sparing one for a bit wouldn’t be a problem. I’ll even throw in a wiki and really try to convert you. Lol.

Benny

3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Come on now Benny, I still own six maxel transformers so doubt I’ll have need of the wiki. Although I do like the sound of their levelwind technology on those reels. 👍🏻

Yeah, I’m leaning towards the HR. It’s just that it seems Tokayo is the only place you can get the newer models right now. How long did it take for yours to arrive?

· Registered
165 Posts
Mr Bill I have some black hole boca slow pitch rods ( flagship black hole rod for Korean market ).If you ever make it to Savannah ( I might even meet you halfway for lunch or dinner ) you are welcome to try them and see how they feel. They have good backbone and bigger/ stronger guides for thicker Leaders.

· Retired Member
5,857 Posts
Come on now Benny, I still own six maxel transformers so doubt I’ll have need of the wiki. Although I do like the sound of their levelwind technology on those reels. 👍🏻

Yeah, I’m leaning towards the HR. It’s just that it seems Tokayo is the only place you can get the newer models right now. How long did it take for yours to arrive?
No doubt you have more than enough reels. Just thought if you were going to take a HR you should take the reel attached. Super fast shipping from tokayo! I received the rods in about a week on a few different orders.

Benny

3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mr Bill I have some black hole boca slow pitch rods ( flagship black hole rod for Korean market ).If you ever make it to Savannah ( I might even meet you halfway for lunch or dinner ) you are welcome to try them and see how they feel. They have good backbone and bigger/ stronger guides for thicker Leaders.
I already have an NS slow jigging rod and a maxel risky player (this one before temple reef came out with the levitates). You are right, the NS definitely has more backbone. I let my wife use that rod when fishing as I know she wont break it.

I’ll be in Savannah next Wed if you’ll be free for an early lunch?

· Registered
165 Posts
I already have an NS slow jigging rod and a maxel risky player (this one before temple reef came out with the levitates). You are right, the NS definitely has more backbone. I let my wife use that rod when fishing as I know she wont break it.

I’ll be in Savannah next Wed if you’ll be free for an early lunch?
Absolutely. Just let me know

· Registered
67 Posts
Question, I have a Levitate 68-3. I was using it with jigs in the higher range (300-500) for deep dropping in the NE Canyons and it just did not feel right. Used it with a 240gm jig for striped bass and really started to get the feel for it and it worked great. I would like to purchase something for jigs in the 500 to 700 gm range for next season without breaking the bank. Any suggestions? I matched it with a Trinidad 16n and that feels comfortable, although it would be nice to get a little more line on it. I probably need to come down in line weight a bit. Was using maxcuattro 40 I believe.

Thanks

Bill

· Registered
165 Posts
For big jigs like that I would recommend black hole because they have more backbone and blanks are a little faster than regular slow pitch jigs ( not fully moderate ). Also I heard good things about palmarius rods interns of power

531 Posts
I would avoid HR, the value for what you get just isn’t there, I also had a buddy blow one up the other week on a hookup and they will not warranty the rod.

A much better option If you are looking for a rod that you can pull on all you want without sacrificing action or weight then I’d look into a JDM Daiwa rod called a Saltiga 55b-4 AGS. I can’t recommend them enough. Another option for the high end stuff you can put heat on is called a Takamitechnos but they are expensive.

Its tough to find great rods here in the states so you will have to buy from japan if you are wanting anything high end because the markups the retailers here add is pretty drastic.

531 Posts
That daiwa sj ags is pretty impressive. This guy handles it like a regular jigging rod when fighting a fish

I own most high end JDM rods and I can honestly say that little Daiwa AGS is right up there with some of the others. If that’s your style of fishing it’s very tough to beat. I’ve fished it out to 900’ in perfect conditions. Its sweet spot for jigs is 250-300 but I’ve also fished 500 on it. Those vids you see of them using them for the ruby’s etc they are using 500g routinely but that’s definitely starting to max the rod out.

· Registered
122 Posts
JAM rod from SFC is a crazy rod. Last season i caugh a couple albacore around 20kg with the power rating No.4.
For the japanese rods, dont lift fish into the boat with rod. And dont high stick. Period.
They are made for manipulating the jig not for fighting the fish.

Thanks
Ryan

· Site Sponsor
4,029 Posts
JAM rod from SFC is a crazy rod. Last season i caugh a couple albacore around 20kg with the power rating No.4.
For the japanese rods, dont lift fish into the boat with rod. And dont high stick. Period.
They are made for manipulating the jig not for fighting the fish.

Thanks
Ryan
well said! I wince when I see guys too lazy to net the fish and would rather risk breaking a $500 than calling for the net or grabbing the leader. Then they cry and blame the rod - seen it live too many times

1 - 20 of 22 Posts